Little help here please with text programs...

Tom

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

All of the sudden, the TITLES to my WordPad, Rich Text and Notepad documents
now all have file extensions; i.e., .doc (WordPad, .rtf (Rich Text) and .txt
(NotePad).

What did I screw up to cause this? And how can I restore the default
behavior where the extensions are not needed? (I do not have MS Word.)

Thanks again all.

--
----This email scanned by Norton AntiVirus 2005----

Tom

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Folders, options, "Hide extensions of known file types."

"tom" <tom@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> All of the sudden, the TITLES to my WordPad, Rich Text and Notepad
> documents now all have file extensions; i.e., .doc (WordPad, .rtf (Rich
> Text) and .txt (NotePad).
>
> What did I screw up to cause this? And how can I restore the default
> behavior where the extensions are not needed? (I do not have MS Word.)
>
> Thanks again all.
>
> --
> ----This email scanned by Norton AntiVirus 2005----

Sparda

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2005

"" wrote:
> All of the sudden, the TITLES to my WordPad, Rich Text and
> Notepad documents
> now all have file extensions; i.e., .doc (WordPad, .rtf (Rich
> Text) and .txt
> (NotePad).
>
> What did I screw up to cause this? And how can I restore the
> default
> behavior where the extensions are not needed? (I do not have
> MS Word.)
>
> Thanks again all.
>
> --
> ----This email scanned by Norton AntiVirus 2005----

Is it so important that you musnt see the extension of the file?

Also, .doc is more commonly considered Word Document, txt is
considered to be a plain text file and rtf is a rich text document.

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Help---Support-text-programs-ftopict552007.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1749454

Tom

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Actually, yes...it is important to me. It's an extra step having to type the
extension when renaming files. But the symptom goes away when checking "Hide
extensions for known file types" box in the "Folder Options...View"
tab...which I somehow managed to un-check unwittingly.