Fan Failure

June 30, 2005 8:26:02 PM

This question doesn't really have that much to do with Windows XP as it does
just the computer in general. Can anyway help?

When I boot up my computer, it says "Alert! Previous Fan Failure Press F1
to continue." Does anyone know what this means and if so, is it serious? Do
I need to do something about it?

More about : fan failure

Anonymous
June 30, 2005 10:39:57 PM

Have you Googled for that alert?

Tom
"ruskstr8" <ruskstr8@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| This question doesn't really have that much to do with Windows XP as it
does
| just the computer in general. Can anyway help?
|
| When I boot up my computer, it says "Alert! Previous Fan Failure Press F1
| to continue." Does anyone know what this means and if so, is it serious?
Do
| I need to do something about it?
Anonymous
June 30, 2005 11:26:56 PM

Yes it is serious, you need to open your case and see if the fan and CPU is
gummed up with dirt, if so then get some compressed air and blow it out. It
may be that the fan has burnt up and needs to be replaced.

--
Good Day
River Rat

"ruskstr8" <ruskstr8@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
This question doesn't really have that much to do with Windows XP as it does
just the computer in general. Can anyway help?

When I boot up my computer, it says "Alert! Previous Fan Failure Press F1
to continue." Does anyone know what this means and if so, is it serious?
Do
I need to do something about it?
June 30, 2005 11:30:53 PM

ruskstr8'
It would help to know if this is a laptop or tower computer.
Anyway, In the bios there are monitoring applets to warn you of fan
failure. Which fan, I don't know.
Give us some more info about the make & model of your system please.
Thanks,
Treeman

--
Treeman

July 1, 2005 5:51:36 AM

ruskstr8 wrote:
> This question doesn't really have that much to do with Windows XP as it does
> just the computer in general. Can anyway help?
>
> When I boot up my computer, it says "Alert! Previous Fan Failure Press F1
> to continue." Does anyone know what this means and if so, is it serious? Do
> I need to do something about it?

It might mean your fan was (and maybe is) rotating too slowly or not
rotating at all. Monitor the fan speeds in the BIOS (see motherboard
manual, prob. DEL at startup), most important the CPU fan. If it is not
rotating it might be serious and van damage your CPU.
July 1, 2005 1:03:46 PM

If your bios can give a visual alert when a fan fails then it probably can
also gives an audible alarm when a fan stops turning or even spins outside a
given range. So you could turn that on to be safe. Remember that most modern
systems have fans for the system and chipset as well as the CPU so a warning
may relate to any one of them. Intel also publish the maximum temperature
that a given processor can reach before being damaged and surprisingly the
max temperatures are processor specific. I was a little surprised that a
3.06GHz P4 can be damaged above 69 degrees Centigrade-most processors are in
the 70-80C range.

Chelsea
July 1, 2005 7:24:54 PM

"ruskstr8" <ruskstr8@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> This question doesn't really have that much to do with Windows XP as it
does
> just the computer in general. Can anyway help?
>
> When I boot up my computer, it says "Alert! Previous Fan Failure Press F1
> to continue." Does anyone know what this means and if so, is it serious?
Do
> I need to do something about it?
It is not serious if you don't mind buying another computer...
Jim
!