Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Regedit Won't Open

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
Anonymous
June 30, 2005 8:55:04 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

I tried to open regedit earlier and I keep getting this error.

C:\WINDOWS\system32\Regedit.com
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT. The system file is not suitable for running
MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications.

It worked fine up until recently but now it doesn't work anymore. Anyone
know how to get it to work? Thanks.

More about : regedit open

Anonymous
June 30, 2005 11:22:02 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Insert the Windows XP CD into the CD drive and clicking start --> Run and
entering:

expand X:\i386\autoexec.nt_ c:\windows\system32\autoexec.nt

Replace X:\ with your CD ROM drive letter.

If your Windows file is different then C replace it with your drive letter.

Notice the space between _ & C
--
Good Day
River Rat




"Nick's Angel1924" <Fracks_Girl_8085@msn.com> wrote in message
news:9D92CCB2-B4F1-4F88-91E2-C9A7F0461ED5@microsoft.com...
I tried to open regedit earlier and I keep getting this error.

C:\WINDOWS\system32\Regedit.com
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT. The system file is not suitable for running
MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications.

It worked fine up until recently but now it doesn't work anymore. Anyone
know how to get it to work? Thanks.
Anonymous
July 1, 2005 12:24:41 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Nick's Angel1924 wrote:
> I tried to open regedit earlier and I keep getting this
> error.
>
> C:\WINDOWS\system32\Regedit.com
> C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT. The system file is not
> suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows
> applications.
>
> It worked fine up until recently but now it doesn't work
> anymore. Anyone know how to get it to work? Thanks.

First off, try entering regedit.exe in the Open box.

Now for the real problem. Regedit.com is not a legitimate
Windows file. You've got some kind of virus or trojan infecting
your computer.

Make sure your antivirus program is up-to-date and run a scan.
You should also run a scan with AdAware and Spybot S & D.

AdAware
http://www.spychecker.com/program/adaware.html

Spybot S & D
http://www.spychecker.com/program/spybot.html

You might also consider running some of the online virus
scanners:

http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

http://www.pandasoftware.com/products/activescan/com/ac...

http://us.mcafee.com/root/mfs/default.asp?WWW_URL=www.m...

Good luck

Nepatsfan
Related resources
Anonymous
July 1, 2005 12:24:42 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

"Nepatsfan" wrote:
> First off, try entering regedit.exe in the Open box.
>
> Now for the real problem. Regedit.com is not a legitimate
> Windows file. You've got some kind of virus or trojan infecting
> your computer.
>
> Make sure your antivirus program is up-to-date and run a scan.
> You should also run a scan with AdAware and Spybot S & D.
>
> AdAware
> http://www.spychecker.com/program/adaware.html
>
> Spybot S & D
> http://www.spychecker.com/program/spybot.html
>
> You might also consider running some of the online virus
> scanners:
>
> http://housecall.trendmicro.com/
>
> http://www.pandasoftware.com/products/activescan/com/ac...
>
> http://us.mcafee.com/root/mfs/default.asp?WWW_URL=www.m...
>
> Good luck
>
> Nepatsfan

Thanks I tried regedit.exe and it worked.
Anonymous
July 1, 2005 12:24:43 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

"Nick's Angel1924" <Fracks_Girl_8085@msn.com> wrote in message
news:A70A35BC-2F28-4467-888F-6BAD0584B8F7@microsoft.com...
>
> Thanks I tried regedit.exe and it worked.

But Nick I don't think you're out of the woods yet. This Regedit.com issue
is a know indication you have a virus-worm. For example the w32/Mugly.M (or
Picrate.C) virus.

There have even been reports that neither Symantec (NAV) nor AVG will
necessarily find it, but Panda will.

I would immediately go to http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan/ and do a
scan. Preferably with System Restore turned off.

Good luck.

--
Michael
Anonymous
July 1, 2005 12:31:19 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Nick's Angel1924 wrote:
> I tried to open regedit earlier and I keep getting this
> error.
>
> C:\WINDOWS\system32\Regedit.com
> C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT. The system file is not
> suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows
> applications.
>
> It worked fine up until recently but now it doesn't work
> anymore. Anyone know how to get it to work? Thanks.

Almost forgot the other part of your errror message:

Take a look at this article:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;324767

Quoting from the article, here's the easiest approach:

1. Click Start, click Run, type c:\windows\repair, and then
click OK.
2. Right-click autoexec.nt, and then click Copy.
3. Click Start, click Run, type c:\windows\system32, and
then click OK.
4. Right-click anywhere in that folder, and then click
Paste.
5. Right-click the Autoexec.nt file that you just copied,
and then click Properties.
6. Click to select Read-Only, and then click OK.

Note You must enable Read-Only permissions or the file will be
removed after you restart Windows.

Nepatsfan
Anonymous
July 1, 2005 2:58:11 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Nick's Angel1924 wrote:
> "Nepatsfan" wrote:
>> First off, try entering regedit.exe in the Open box.
>>
>> Now for the real problem. Regedit.com is not a legitimate
>> Windows file. You've got some kind of virus or trojan
>> infecting your computer.
>>
>> Make sure your antivirus program is up-to-date and run a
>> scan. You should also run a scan with AdAware and Spybot S
>> & D.
>>
>> AdAware
>> http://www.spychecker.com/program/adaware.html
>>
>> Spybot S & D
>> http://www.spychecker.com/program/spybot.html
>>
>> You might also consider running some of the online virus
>> scanners:
>>
>> http://housecall.trendmicro.com/
>>
>> http://www.pandasoftware.com/products/activescan/com/ac...
>>
>> http://us.mcafee.com/root/mfs/default.asp?WWW_URL=www.m...
>>
>> Good luck
>>
>> Nepatsfan
>
> Thanks I tried regedit.exe and it worked.

Just to echo what Michael T said, being able to run regedit.exe
is only a workaround. You've got a much larger problem. Odds
are that regedit.com is not the only rogue file that exists on
your computer.

Disable System Restore as Michael suggested and run the scans
that I suggested earlier.

Nepatsfan
Anonymous
July 3, 2005 4:08:01 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Here's a great registry editor that's FREE for the asking. It not only allows
you to delete or edit registry keys and so forth, but you can also search the
entire registry for any word (or words) that may be in any of the 7-8000
registry keys. It is much better than the "stock" editor that comes with
Windows.

Here's a link for the free program, which is called "Reghance".
http://www.lavasoftusa.com/

Look on the left side of the homepage underneath where it says "Resources"
for the download page link. You will see the download link for Reghance (687
kb) near the bottom.

While you are at Lavasoft's website, you might as well download and install
Ad-Aware, a FREE anti-spyware program that is very well-respected. I use it
daily. you can download it, as well, from the same link above. Microsoft also
makes a very good Anti-spyware program, and it, too, is FREE.

Grisoft also makes a FREE Anti-virus program (AVG Antivirus) that will help
prevent you from getting infected in the future. Norton also has a good
retail program for about $30.

Good luck!
Bob McKay

"Nick's Angel1924" wrote:

> I tried to open regedit earlier and I keep getting this error.
>
> C:\WINDOWS\system32\Regedit.com
> C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT. The system file is not suitable for running
> MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications.
>
> It worked fine up until recently but now it doesn't work anymore. Anyone
> know how to get it to work? Thanks.
Anonymous
July 3, 2005 3:16:57 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Greetings,

AUTOEXEC.NT and some other files seem to be corrupt or missing. Try
installing this program:
http://www.visualtour.com/downloads/default.asp

It's free and fixes the problem :)  Some friends of mine had the same
problem, but as soon as they installed the above software, the problem
disappeared.

--
Best of Luck,
Jose Francisco
XPSource - www.xpsource.com

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights


"Big_Mack1" <BigMack1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:75D38C8D-C779-4147-9AF1-12421F73849D@microsoft.com...
> Here's a great registry editor that's FREE for the asking. It not only
> allows
> you to delete or edit registry keys and so forth, but you can also search
> the
> entire registry for any word (or words) that may be in any of the 7-8000
> registry keys. It is much better than the "stock" editor that comes with
> Windows.
>
> Here's a link for the free program, which is called "Reghance".
> http://www.lavasoftusa.com/
>
> Look on the left side of the homepage underneath where it says "Resources"
> for the download page link. You will see the download link for Reghance
> (687
> kb) near the bottom.
>
> While you are at Lavasoft's website, you might as well download and
> install
> Ad-Aware, a FREE anti-spyware program that is very well-respected. I use
> it
> daily. you can download it, as well, from the same link above. Microsoft
> also
> makes a very good Anti-spyware program, and it, too, is FREE.
>
> Grisoft also makes a FREE Anti-virus program (AVG Antivirus) that will
> help
> prevent you from getting infected in the future. Norton also has a good
> retail program for about $30.
>
> Good luck!
> Bob McKay
>
> "Nick's Angel1924" wrote:
>
>> I tried to open regedit earlier and I keep getting this error.
>>
>> C:\WINDOWS\system32\Regedit.com
>> C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT. The system file is not suitable for
>> running
>> MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications.
>>
>> It worked fine up until recently but now it doesn't work anymore. Anyone
>> know how to get it to work? Thanks.
Anonymous
July 3, 2005 7:36:32 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

"Nick’s Angel1924" wrote:
>I tried to open regedit earlier and I keep getting this error.
>
>C:\WINDOWS\system32\Regedit.com
>C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT. The system file is not suitable
for
>running
>MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications.
>
>It worked fine up until recently but now it doesn’t work
>anymore. Anyone
>know how to get it to work? Thanks.
Greetings Nicks Angel1924,
I don’t know what methods you have tried, but here is one that is
simple and should work. :idea: Goto: :arrow:

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm

scroll down to Line #173 and download the utility to your desktop and
run it from there. This should solve your problem.
Best of luck,
ultra_classic :) 

--
Posted using the http://www.windowsforumz.com interface, at author's request
Articles individually checked for conformance to usenet standards
Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Help---Support-Regedit-Ope...
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1752693
!