Regedit Won't Open

I tried to open regedit earlier and I keep getting this error.

C:\WINDOWS\system32\Regedit.com
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT. The system file is not suitable for running
MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications.

It worked fine up until recently but now it doesn't work anymore. Anyone
know how to get it to work? Thanks.
9 answers Last reply
More about regedit open

    Insert the Windows XP CD into the CD drive and clicking start --> Run and
    entering:

    expand X:\i386\autoexec.nt_ c:\windows\system32\autoexec.nt

    Replace X:\ with your CD ROM drive letter.

    If your Windows file is different then C replace it with your drive letter.

    Notice the space between _ & C
    --
    Good Day
    River Rat

    Nick's Angel1924 wrote:
    > I tried to open regedit earlier and I keep getting this
    > error.
    >
    > C:\WINDOWS\system32\Regedit.com
    > C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT. The system file is not
    > suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows
    > applications.
    >
    > It worked fine up until recently but now it doesn't work
    > anymore. Anyone know how to get it to work? Thanks.

    First off, try entering regedit.exe in the Open box.

    Now for the real problem. Regedit.com is not a legitimate
    Windows file. You've got some kind of virus or trojan infecting
    your computer.

    Make sure your antivirus program is up-to-date and run a scan.
    You should also run a scan with AdAware and Spybot S & D.

    AdAware
    http://www.spychecker.com/program/adaware.html

    Spybot S & D
    http://www.spychecker.com/program/spybot.html

    You might also consider running some of the online virus
    scanners:

    http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

    http://www.pandasoftware.com/products/activescan/com/activescan_principal.htm

    http://us.mcafee.com/root/mfs/default.asp?WWW_URL=www.mcafee.com/myapps/mfs/default.asp

    Good luck

    Nepatsfan

    "Nepatsfan" wrote:
    > First off, try entering regedit.exe in the Open box.
    >
    > Now for the real problem. Regedit.com is not a legitimate
    > Windows file. You've got some kind of virus or trojan infecting
    > your computer.
    >
    > Make sure your antivirus program is up-to-date and run a scan.
    > You should also run a scan with AdAware and Spybot S & D.
    >
    > AdAware
    > http://www.spychecker.com/program/adaware.html
    >
    > Spybot S & D
    > http://www.spychecker.com/program/spybot.html
    >
    > You might also consider running some of the online virus
    > scanners:
    >
    > http://housecall.trendmicro.com/
    >
    > http://www.pandasoftware.com/products/activescan/com/activescan_principal.htm
    >
    > http://us.mcafee.com/root/mfs/default.asp?WWW_URL=www.mcafee.com/myapps/mfs/default.asp
    >
    > Good luck
    >
    > Nepatsfan

    Thanks I tried regedit.exe and it worked.

    > Thanks I tried regedit.exe and it worked.

    But Nick I don't think you're out of the woods yet. This Regedit.com issue
    is a know indication you have a virus-worm. For example the w32/Mugly.M (or
    Picrate.C) virus.

    There have even been reports that neither Symantec (NAV) nor AVG will
    necessarily find it, but Panda will.

    I would immediately go to http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan/ and do a
    scan. Preferably with System Restore turned off.

    Good luck.

    --
    Michael

    Nick's Angel1924 wrote:
    > I tried to open regedit earlier and I keep getting this
    > error.
    >
    > C:\WINDOWS\system32\Regedit.com
    > C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT. The system file is not
    > suitable for running MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows
    > applications.
    >
    > It worked fine up until recently but now it doesn't work
    > anymore. Anyone know how to get it to work? Thanks.

    Almost forgot the other part of your errror message:

    Take a look at this article:

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;324767

    Quoting from the article, here's the easiest approach:

    1. Click Start, click Run, type c:\windows\repair, and then
    click OK.
    2. Right-click autoexec.nt, and then click Copy.
    3. Click Start, click Run, type c:\windows\system32, and
    then click OK.
    4. Right-click anywhere in that folder, and then click
    Paste.
    5. Right-click the Autoexec.nt file that you just copied,
    and then click Properties.
    6. Click to select Read-Only, and then click OK.

    Note You must enable Read-Only permissions or the file will be
    removed after you restart Windows.

    Nepatsfan

    Nick's Angel1924 wrote:
    > "Nepatsfan" wrote:
    >> First off, try entering regedit.exe in the Open box.
    >>
    >> Now for the real problem. Regedit.com is not a legitimate
    >> Windows file. You've got some kind of virus or trojan
    >> infecting your computer.
    >>
    >> Make sure your antivirus program is up-to-date and run a
    >> scan. You should also run a scan with AdAware and Spybot S
    >> & D.
    >>
    >> AdAware
    >> http://www.spychecker.com/program/adaware.html
    >>
    >> Spybot S & D
    >> http://www.spychecker.com/program/spybot.html
    >>
    >> You might also consider running some of the online virus
    >> scanners:
    >>
    >> http://housecall.trendmicro.com/
    >>
    >> http://www.pandasoftware.com/products/activescan/com/activescan_principal.htm
    >>
    >> http://us.mcafee.com/root/mfs/default.asp?WWW_URL=www.mcafee.com/myapps/mfs/default.asp
    >>
    >> Good luck
    >>
    >> Nepatsfan
    >
    > Thanks I tried regedit.exe and it worked.

    Just to echo what Michael T said, being able to run regedit.exe
    is only a workaround. You've got a much larger problem. Odds
    are that regedit.com is not the only rogue file that exists on
    your computer.

    Disable System Restore as Michael suggested and run the scans
    that I suggested earlier.

    Nepatsfan

    Here's a great registry editor that's FREE for the asking. It not only allows
    you to delete or edit registry keys and so forth, but you can also search the
    entire registry for any word (or words) that may be in any of the 7-8000
    registry keys. It is much better than the "stock" editor that comes with
    Windows.

    Here's a link for the free program, which is called "Reghance".
    http://www.lavasoftusa.com/

    Look on the left side of the homepage underneath where it says "Resources"
    for the download page link. You will see the download link for Reghance (687
    kb) near the bottom.

    While you are at Lavasoft's website, you might as well download and install
    Ad-Aware, a FREE anti-spyware program that is very well-respected. I use it
    daily. you can download it, as well, from the same link above. Microsoft also
    makes a very good Anti-spyware program, and it, too, is FREE.

    Grisoft also makes a FREE Anti-virus program (AVG Antivirus) that will help
    prevent you from getting infected in the future. Norton also has a good
    retail program for about $30.

    Good luck!
    Bob McKay

    "Nick's Angel1924" wrote:

    > I tried to open regedit earlier and I keep getting this error.
    >
    > C:\WINDOWS\system32\Regedit.com
    > C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT. The system file is not suitable for running
    > MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications.
    >
    > It worked fine up until recently but now it doesn't work anymore. Anyone
    > know how to get it to work? Thanks.

    Greetings,

    AUTOEXEC.NT and some other files seem to be corrupt or missing. Try
    installing this program:
    http://www.visualtour.com/downloads/default.asp

    It's free and fixes the problem :) Some friends of mine had the same
    problem, but as soon as they installed the above software, the problem
    disappeared.

    --
    Best of Luck,
    Jose Francisco

    "Nick’s Angel1924" wrote:
    >I tried to open regedit earlier and I keep getting this error.
    >
    >C:\WINDOWS\system32\Regedit.com
    >C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\AUTOEXEC.NT. The system file is not suitable
    for
    >running
    >MS-DOS and Microsoft Windows applications.
    >
    >It worked fine up until recently but now it doesn’t work
    >anymore. Anyone
    >know how to get it to work? Thanks.
    Greetings Nicks Angel1924,
    I don’t know what methods you have tried, but here is one that is
    simple and should work. :idea: Goto: :arrow:

    scroll down to Line #173 and download the utility to your desktop and
    run it from there. This should solve your problem.
    Best of luck,
    ultra_classic :)

    Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Help---Support-Regedit-Open-ftopict552019.html
    Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1752693