Hi-Speed USB Device Attached to non-Hi-Speed Hub?

Hello,

When I connect my USB 2.0 hard drive I get the following error message:

"Hi-Speed USB Device Attached to non-Hi-Speed Hub?"

I've installed XP Service Pack 1 and the USB driver that came with the
drive, but I still get the error above

Anyone know what gives?

Thanks,

Jeff
15 answers Last reply
More about speed device attached speed

    Oh, I should also have said that I have a Dimension 4500 which I know for a
    fact has 6 USB 2.0 ports, 2 on the front and 4 on the back.

    Thanks,

    Jeff

    "Jeff Ingram" <ingramje@gmail.com> wrote in message news:d3v18i$3c4n$1@news3.infoave.net...
    > Oh, I should also have said that I have a Dimension 4500 which I know for a
    > fact has 6 USB 2.0 ports, 2 on the front and 4 on the back.

    Do you get hi-speed with any other devices? What controllers are
    listed under Universal Serial Bus controllers in Device manager?
    Does the 4500 have an enable hi-speed USB BIOS setting?

    I've never had to install any software in order to access USB drives
    on an XP system. Although some drives did come with drivers for
    9x, and utilities for that and XP. What kind of drive are you using?

    Are ALL the ports 2.0 or are some of them 1.1? Why did you have to load a
    USB driver that came with the drive? I thought those were usually for the
    earlier OSs like W98se and WMe?

    "Jeff Ingram" <ingramje@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > When I connect my USB 2.0 hard drive I get the following error message:
    >
    > "Hi-Speed USB Device Attached to non-Hi-Speed Hub?"
    >
    > I've installed XP Service Pack 1 and the USB driver that came with the
    > drive, but I still get the error above
    >
    > Anyone know what gives?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Jeff

    No, I have a USB 2.0 media card reader and a Canon 5000F flatbed scanner and
    none of them work without getting that error message.

    You've likely never had the problem because you've never reloaded your
    system from scratch. Dell had already installed SP1 and all the right
    drivers necessary for USB 2.0.

    I've had it working before, but now I get the error message.

    I know I'm forgetting something.......

    Thanks,

    Jeff

    "User N" <usern@invalid.invalid> wrote in message

    > "Jeff Ingram" <ingramje@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > > Oh, I should also have said that I have a Dimension 4500 which I know
    for a
    > > fact has 6 USB 2.0 ports, 2 on the front and 4 on the back.
    >
    > Do you get hi-speed with any other devices? What controllers are
    > listed under Universal Serial Bus controllers in Device manager?
    > Does the 4500 have an enable hi-speed USB BIOS setting?
    >
    > I've never had to install any software in order to access USB drives
    > on an XP system. Although some drives did come with drivers for
    > 9x, and utilities for that and XP. What kind of drive are you using?

    Yup, I've asked Dell and they told me that all of my ports are USB 2.0
    compliant.

    WindowsXP itself doesn't "come" with USB 2.0 support. You have to have at
    least SP1 and USB 2.0 drivers installed. You used to be able to find the
    drivers on Intel's website, but I can't seem to find them there
    anymore......

    Thanks,

    Jeff

    Jeff Ingram wrote:

    > Yup, I've asked Dell and they told me that all of my ports are USB 2.0
    > compliant.
    >
    > WindowsXP itself doesn't "come" with USB 2.0 support. You have to have at
    > least SP1 and USB 2.0 drivers installed. You used to be able to find the
    > drivers on Intel's website, but I can't seem to find them there
    > anymore......

    Why Intel?

    Have you tried Dell's?

    Notan

    Notan wrote:

    > Jeff Ingram wrote:
    > >
    > > Yup, I've asked Dell and they told me that all of my ports are USB 2.0
    > > compliant.
    > >
    > > WindowsXP itself doesn't "come" with USB 2.0 support. You have to have at
    > > least SP1 and USB 2.0 drivers installed. You used to be able to find the
    > > drivers on Intel's website, but I can't seem to find them there
    > > anymore......
    >
    > Why Intel?
    >
    > Have you tried Dell's?

    By the way, my XP desktop arrived pre-SP1, and USB 2.0 worked just fine.

    Notan

    What machine? Are you sure your computer has USB2 ports?

    Tom
    "Jeff Ingram" <ingramje@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > When I connect my USB 2.0 hard drive I get the following error message:
    >
    > "Hi-Speed USB Device Attached to non-Hi-Speed Hub?"
    >
    > I've installed XP Service Pack 1 and the USB driver that came with the
    > drive, but I still get the error above
    >
    > Anyone know what gives?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Jeff

    Did you install the chipset drivers? Is it the factory install, or have you
    reinstalled?

    USB2 works fine on my 4550, so it should work on your 4500.

    Tom
    "Jeff Ingram" <ingramje@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > Oh, I should also have said that I have a Dimension 4500 which I know for
    > fact has 6 USB 2.0 ports, 2 on the front and 4 on the back.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Jeff
    >

    > "Jeff Ingram" <ingramje@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >> Hello,
    >>
    >> When I connect my USB 2.0 hard drive I get the following error message:
    >>
    >> "Hi-Speed USB Device Attached to non-Hi-Speed Hub?"
    >>
    >> I've installed XP Service Pack 1 and the USB driver that came with the
    >> drive, but I still get the error above
    >>
    >> Anyone know what gives?
    >>
    >> Thanks,
    >>
    >> Jeff

    Yup, I installed those, but that alone can't give you USB 2.0 in XP.
    There's something else........

    I've had it working before though.....I'd be willing to bet that you've got
    something in your Add/Remove Programs list that says something about USB.

    Thanks,

    Jeff

    > Did you install the chipset drivers? Is it the factory install, or have
    you
    > reinstalled?
    >
    > USB2 works fine on my 4550, so it should work on your 4500.
    >
    > Tom
    > "Jeff Ingram" <ingramje@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > > Oh, I should also have said that I have a Dimension 4500 which I know
    for
    > > fact has 6 USB 2.0 ports, 2 on the front and 4 on the back.
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > >
    > > Jeff
    > >

    > > "Jeff Ingram" <ingramje@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > >> Hello,
    > >>
    > >> When I connect my USB 2.0 hard drive I get the following error message:
    > >>
    > >> "Hi-Speed USB Device Attached to non-Hi-Speed Hub?"
    > >>
    > >> I've installed XP Service Pack 1 and the USB driver that came with the
    > >> drive, but I still get the error above
    > >>
    > >> Anyone know what gives?
    > >>
    > >> Thanks,
    > >>
    > >> Jeff

    I've fixed it by peforming that last few steps from the link below. Bu I
    guarantee you, if you were to wipe and reload XP on your system, USB 2.0
    wouldn't work. You'd have to get the USB driver from somewhere. See the
    link below.

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;329632

    Thanks,

    Jeff

    > Notan wrote:
    > >
    > > Jeff Ingram wrote:
    > > >
    > > > Yup, I've asked Dell and they told me that all of my ports are USB 2.0
    > > > compliant.
    > > >
    > > > WindowsXP itself doesn't "come" with USB 2.0 support. You have to
    have at
    > > > least SP1 and USB 2.0 drivers installed. You used to be able to find
    the
    > > > drivers on Intel's website, but I can't seem to find them there
    > > > anymore......
    > >
    > > Why Intel?
    > >
    > > Have you tried Dell's?
    >
    > By the way, my XP desktop arrived pre-SP1, and USB 2.0 worked just fine.
    >
    > Notan

    You don't need USB drivers. If you installed them, that could be the
    problem. You need the chipset drivers and SP1 (preferably SP2).

    Tom
    > Yup, I've asked Dell and they told me that all of my ports are USB 2.0
    > compliant.
    >
    > WindowsXP itself doesn't "come" with USB 2.0 support. You have to have at
    > least SP1 and USB 2.0 drivers installed. You used to be able to find the
    > drivers on Intel's website, but I can't seem to find them there
    > anymore......
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Jeff
    >

    > "larry" <larry@nowhere.com> wrote in message
    >> Are ALL the ports 2.0 or are some of them 1.1? Why did you have to load
    >> USB driver that came with the drive? I thought those were usually for
    >> the
    >> earlier OSs like W98se and WMe?
    >>
    >> "Jeff Ingram" <ingramje@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >> > Hello,
    >> >
    >> > When I connect my USB 2.0 hard drive I get the following error message:
    >> >
    >> > "Hi-Speed USB Device Attached to non-Hi-Speed Hub?"
    >> >
    >> > I've installed XP Service Pack 1 and the USB driver that came with the
    >> > drive, but I still get the error above
    >> >
    >> > Anyone know what gives?
    >> >
    >> > Thanks,
    >> >
    >> > Jeff

    I guarantee you won't. I've wiped my 4550 and my 2400 and all I installed
    were the chipset drivers and SP1 or SP2.

    Work flawlessly. Since I have over a terabyte of USB2 disk, I'm pretty
    confident of my answer.

    Tom
    > I've fixed it by peforming that last few steps from the link below. Bu I
    > guarantee you, if you were to wipe and reload XP on your system, USB 2.0
    > wouldn't work. You'd have to get the USB driver from somewhere. See the
    > link below.
    >
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;329632
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Jeff
    >
    > "Notan" <notan@ddress.com> wrote in message
    >> Notan wrote:

    > have at
    > the
    >> >
    >> > Why Intel?
    >> >
    >> > Have you tried Dell's?
    >>
    >> By the way, my XP desktop arrived pre-SP1, and USB 2.0 worked just fine.
    >>
    >> Notan

    Then you have a very "unique" system!

    "Jeff Ingram" <ingramje@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > I've fixed it by peforming that last few steps from the link below. Bu I
    > guarantee you, if you were to wipe and reload XP on your system, USB 2.0
    > wouldn't work. You'd have to get the USB driver from somewhere. See the
    > link below.

    Although the point is moot now that I've resolved it, that's EXACTLY what I
    just said. The USB drivers would have to come from somewhere and the link I
    posted to Microsoft's site explains how the service pack downloads and
    installs those drivers.

    By it's self, XP cannot use USB 2.0 since it wasn't built into the initial
    install. That's why one thing you have to have is at least SP1.

    Jeff

    > I guarantee you won't. I've wiped my 4550 and my 2400 and all I installed
    > were the chipset drivers and SP1 or SP2.
    >
    > Work flawlessly. Since I have over a terabyte of USB2 disk, I'm pretty
    > confident of my answer.
    >
    > Tom
    > "Jeff Ingram" <ingramje@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > > I've fixed it by peforming that last few steps from the link below. Bu
    > > guarantee you, if you were to wipe and reload XP on your system, USB 2.0
    > > wouldn't work. You'd have to get the USB driver from somewhere. See
    the
    > > link below.
    > >
    > > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;329632
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > >
    > > Jeff
    > >
    > > "Notan" <notan@ddress.com> wrote in message

    > > have at
    > > the

    > >> By the way, my XP desktop arrived pre-SP1, and USB 2.0 worked just
    fine.

    > >> Notan

Dell USB Devices Computers