MyDocuments folder opens after logon

Nothing is present in startup folder OR system variables that triggers open
of explore.exe yet each time a friend starts up his pc with XP on it this
program runs and the My Documents folder is opened. Any suggestions on how
to stop this annoyance?
TIA,
KM

I hate replying to my own post but i found out that my next step should be
to search for entries on the run sections of the registry. Correct?
TIAA
Kris

>I hate replying to my own post but i found out that my next step should
>be to search for entries on the run sections of the registry. Correct?
> TIAA
> Kris
>
> "Kris M" <mRaEcMcOxVoEpMhE@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> Nothing is present in startup folder OR system variables that
>> triggers open of explore.exe yet each time a friend starts up his pc
>> with XP on it this program runs and the My Documents folder is
>> opened. Any suggestions on how to stop this annoyance?
>> TIA,
>> KM

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/win_xp_mydocs.htm

Scroll down till you find "My Documents Folder Opens Upon Boot"

[Courtesy of Kelly's Theriot, MVP]

--
William

Yep Kris you are getting the hang of it.
Here is where you need to look
..
My Documents Folder - Opens Upon Boot' under [M]
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.co­m/xp_abc.htm

Also notice that there is a trojan that can cause this.

--
Good Day
River Rat

"Kris M" <mRaEcMcOxVoEpMhE@yahoo.com> wrote in message
I hate replying to my own post but i found out that my next step should be
to search for entries on the run sections of the registry. Correct?
TIAA
Kris

"Kris M" <mRaEcMcOxVoEpMhE@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Nothing is present in startup folder OR system variables that triggers
> open of explore.exe yet each time a friend starts up his pc with XP on it
> this program runs and the My Documents folder is opened. Any suggestions
> on how to stop this annoyance?
> TIA,
> KM

Ok heres a bit more on the issue..
Today i ran a complete virus scan, aol sypware scan, and downloaded a
sypware scanner from cnet. Cleaned 243 files from the pc. I also went
through every possible registry entry and could find no malicious or
explore.exe entry. i cleared the temp internet file cache and went as far a
doing a system restore back as far as i could to no avail. The irritating my
Documents folder sill opens on startup.. any suggestions on a next course of
action?
Kris

"River_Rat" <nospam@nospam> wrote in message
> Yep Kris you are getting the hang of it.
> Here is where you need to look
> .
> My Documents Folder - Opens Upon Boot' under [M]
> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.co­m/xp_abc.htm
>
> Also notice that there is a trojan that can cause this.
>
> --
> Good Day
> River Rat
>

> "Kris M" <mRaEcMcOxVoEpMhE@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I hate replying to my own post but i found out that my next step should be
> to search for entries on the run sections of the registry. Correct?
> TIAA
> Kris
>
> "Kris M" <mRaEcMcOxVoEpMhE@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> Nothing is present in startup folder OR system variables that triggers
>> open of explore.exe yet each time a friend starts up his pc with XP on it
>> this program runs and the My Documents folder is opened. Any suggestions
>> on how to stop this annoyance?
>> TIA,
>> KM

Ricky

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2003

Have a look here..
http://www.dougknox.com/xp/scripts_desc/xp_mydocsopens.htm

| Ok heres a bit more on the issue..
| Today i ran a complete virus scan, aol sypware scan, and downloaded
| sypware scanner from cnet. Cleaned 243 files from the pc. I also
went
| through every possible registry entry and could find no malicious or
| explore.exe entry. i cleared the temp internet file cache and went
as far a
| doing a system restore back as far as i could to no avail. The
irritating my
| Documents folder sill opens on startup.. any suggestions on a next
course of
| action?
| Kris
|

| "River_Rat" <nospam@nospam> wrote in message
| > Yep Kris you are getting the hang of it.
| > Here is where you need to look
| > .
| > My Documents Folder - Opens Upon Boot' under [M]
| > http://www.kellys-korner-xp.co­m/xp_abc.htm
| >
| > Also notice that there is a trojan that can cause this.
| >
| > --
| > Good Day
| > River Rat
| >

| > "Kris M" <mRaEcMcOxVoEpMhE@yahoo.com> wrote in message
| > I hate replying to my own post but i found out that my next step
should be
| > to search for entries on the run sections of the registry.
Correct?
| > TIAA
| > Kris
| >
| > "Kris M" <mRaEcMcOxVoEpMhE@yahoo.com> wrote in message
| >> Nothing is present in startup folder OR system variables that
triggers
| >> open of explore.exe yet each time a friend starts up his pc with
XP on it
| >> this program runs and the My Documents folder is opened. Any
suggestions
| >> on how to stop this annoyance?
| >> TIA,
| >> KM

And adding this regisrty key will work? What type of key does it add? I am
just wanting to know because i would prefer to add it manually instead of
doing it with a script for my own knowledge and practice.
Thanks,
Kris

Kris M wrote:
> And adding this regisrty key will work? What type of key does it add?
> I am just wanting to know because i would prefer to add it manually
> instead of doing it with a script for my own knowledge and practice.
> Thanks,
> Kris

After you download the .vbs file, right click the file and select Edit. You
will see exactly what changes are made to the specific key in the registry.

--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP

http://www.dts-l.org/

I already read the vbs code and understand it with this exception. If you
open regedit and right click you get a menu that offers New: Key: String
Value, D_word, Binary Value, Multi-String Value, and Expandable String
Value. Which should be the correct choice to perform this action. It does
not specify in the script OR (very possible) I dont understand the write
command completely.

From the downloaded VBScript file:

..RegWrite "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows
NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\UserInit",SysDir,"REG_SZ"
I will run the script and see what changes it makes.
Thanks,
Kris

>I already read the vbs code and understand it with this exception. If
>you open regedit and right click you get a menu that offers New: Key:
>String Value, D_word, Binary Value, Multi-String Value, and Expandable
>String Value. Which should be the correct choice to perform this
>action. It does not specify in the script OR (very possible) I dont
>understand the write command completely.
>
> From the downloaded VBScript file:
>
> .RegWrite "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows
> NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\UserInit",SysDir,"REG_SZ"
> I will run the script and see what changes it makes.

Here is the manual edit

[HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogin]

Name: Userinit
Type: REG_SZ
Date: c:\windows\system32\userinit.exe

Note: If windows is installed on a different drive or directory other
than c:\windows then replace accordingly.

--
William

Kris M wrote:
> I already read the vbs code and understand it with this exception. If
> you open regedit and right click you get a menu that offers New: Key:
> String Value, D_word, Binary Value, Multi-String Value, and
> Expandable String Value. Which should be the correct choice to
> perform this action. It does not specify in the script OR (very
> possible) I dont understand the write command completely.
>
> From the downloaded VBScript file:
>
> .RegWrite "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows
> NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\UserInit",SysDir,"REG_SZ"
> I will run the script and see what changes it makes.
> Thanks,
> Kris

The "REG_SZ" always denotes a String Value.

The "SysDir = SysDir & "\userinit.exe," is adding the path to the
userinit.exe file in the System Directory (Usually C:\Windows\System32).

So the script file is adding or changing a string value called userinit with
the value being the path to the userinit.exe file.
--

Ronnie Vernon
Microsoft MVP

http://www.dts-l.org/

thanks to both replies. now i fully understand the script..