Direct X 8 anyone

G

Uninstalling it isn't an option. You can probably do it (with some deleteing here and there) but it might compromise your system stability. I'd wait for the first games to use it (should be pretty soon, 1-2 months). Besides, without explicit support, most programs won't work as fast (and your vid card drivers probably don't support those features yet anyways). Wait a month or so...you're not missing out on anything... They pretty much just released it under the notion that 'if you build it they will come'. It's more for developers right now, and the games will come with DX8 on their own discs too when they're ready to take advantage of it...

G

i took the plunge and see no problems.
bx chipset, oc p3-600 @ 800, 128m, radeon 32ddr
half-life ...ok
dues ex ... ok
moto racer ... now works with 32 bit desk top setting, used to make me go to 16bit color
ut ... ok
star lancer ... ok
mdk2 ... ok
freespace2 ... ok
quake 2 ... ok
infernal machine ... ok

Regards,
Chas

G

I installed dX8 and my GeForce2 GTS didn't like it one bit - I had to reinstall windows to get things working properly again... A couple of the nVidia demos wouldn't start, Deus Ex fell over and even the old windows games (Tetris, Freecell, etc) had strange effects on the screen.

System: Abit KT7-RAID, Tbird 1GHz, Creative Labs 3D Blaster.

Killerkris

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
i got it but no difference, no problems. I'd wait until games have support for it and save a 10MB download....

Please dont hurt me.....please

RavenPrime

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I downloaded and installed DirectX 8.0 (DSL is wonderful). I is working fine so far. It fixed the problem I was having with my software DVD decoder. I wouldn't work at all with DirectX 7.1a and now it works beautifully. I haven't tried all my games yet but I will keep you posted.

James