Dell 2400 performance question

OK...this is a budget system, that is a given but I am trying to get peak
performance from the system. I have 512 MB of RAM, an NVidia 5500 video card
with 256 MB RAM, and a Celeron 2.4 running at 400 MHz FSB. Now the question
is will any of the following help:

Increase the RAM to 768 MB or 1 GB

Or replace the CPU with a P4 running at 2.6 or so with a 533 FSB setting.

I realize that this system is about peaked out but another system is a
couple of years down the road.

Thanks for any information,
John O.

Larry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

You're wasting your money unless you have a performance bottleneck you need
to address. If you wanted to pump all this money into a system, why didn't
you just buy a better system to begin with?

"JJO" <jjo@nospam.ca> wrote in message
> OK...this is a budget system, that is a given but I am trying to get peak
> performance from the system. I have 512 MB of RAM, an NVidia 5500 video
card
> with 256 MB RAM, and a Celeron 2.4 running at 400 MHz FSB. Now the
question
> is will any of the following help:
>
> Increase the RAM to 768 MB or 1 GB
>
> Or replace the CPU with a P4 running at 2.6 or so with a 533 FSB setting.
>
> I realize that this system is about peaked out but another system is a
> couple of years down the road.
>
> Thanks for any information,
> John O.

There's no simple answer.

1) are you running an application that will benefit from more RAM? Most
won't.
2) The CPU change would be negligible. Hardly worth the investment.

You have a more capable machine that you realize. I have a 4550 with a
P4-2.66 and a 2400 with a P4-2.8. The first has an ATI 9800 Pro. The second
has onboard graphics. The first as 1GB and the second 512MB.

For darn near every application, you can't tell them apart.

Tom
"JJO" <jjo@nospam.ca> wrote in message
> OK...this is a budget system, that is a given but I am trying to get peak
> performance from the system. I have 512 MB of RAM, an NVidia 5500 video
> card with 256 MB RAM, and a Celeron 2.4 running at 400 MHz FSB. Now the
> question is will any of the following help:
>
> Increase the RAM to 768 MB or 1 GB
>
> Or replace the CPU with a P4 running at 2.6 or so with a 533 FSB setting.
>
> I realize that this system is about peaked out but another system is a
> couple of years down the road.
>
> Thanks for any information,
> John O.

I have a similar experience to report. At work I have an Optiplex GX270
that cost my employer three times what my Dimension 2400 at home cost
me. Running any Microsoft Office application, working on the web, or
running personal finance -- I can't tell any difference in speed or
responsiveness.

kwali

Because hindsight is 20-20. And price was a main concern to begin with.
Experience is a tough teacher at times...grin.

Regards,
John O.

"larry" <larry@nowhere.com> wrote in message
> You're wasting your money unless you have a performance bottleneck you
> need
> to address. If you wanted to pump all this money into a system, why
> didn't
> you just buy a better system to begin with?
>
> "JJO" <jjo@nospam.ca> wrote in message
>> OK...this is a budget system, that is a given but I am trying to get peak
>> performance from the system. I have 512 MB of RAM, an NVidia 5500 video
> card
>> with 256 MB RAM, and a Celeron 2.4 running at 400 MHz FSB. Now the
> question
>> is will any of the following help:
>>
>> Increase the RAM to 768 MB or 1 GB
>>
>> Or replace the CPU with a P4 running at 2.6 or so with a 533 FSB setting.
>>
>> I realize that this system is about peaked out but another system is a
>> couple of years down the road.
>>
>> Thanks for any information,
>> John O.

Thanks for the advice Tom. I have been coming to the same opinion of late
but wanted some additional advice from others having that system.

Regards,
John O.

JJO wrote:
> OK...this is a budget system, that is a given but I am trying to get peak
> performance from the system. I have 512 MB of RAM, an NVidia 5500 video card
> with 256 MB RAM, and a Celeron 2.4 running at 400 MHz FSB. Now the question
> is will any of the following help:
>
> Increase the RAM to 768 MB or 1 GB
>
> Or replace the CPU with a P4 running at 2.6 or so with a 533 FSB setting.
>
> I realize that this system is about peaked out but another system is a
> couple of years down the road.
>
> Thanks for any information,
> John O.

Adding more RAM will generally help you with multitasking unless you're
running something very specialized that needs large amounts (doubtful).

A faster CPU will help you with speeding up specific CPU intensive
operations. For the most part these are: encoding audio, transcoding
video, compiling, extremely intesive math calculations (eg. CAD models),
and games. You'll see a slight bump in some everyday tasks, but it will
generally be insignificant unless the CPU jump is substatial.

The P4 is a much better designed CPU than the Celeron, but in terms of
bang for your buck, it probably isn't worth the jump for less than
500MHz. One thing to consider is picking up a CPU/mobo combo and
performing a swap. I was at Fry's yesterday with my friend and he
picked up a P4 3.0J (800MHz FSB, 1MB cache) w/ an ECS motherboard
(supports PCI-X & AGP as well as DDR & DDR2) that uses the Intel 915
chipset for $250 (no rebates). I beleive you'd notice a jump with
something like that, but just going to a P4 2.66 w/ 512KB cache & 533FSB
would be suddle.

Ouch! Motherboard swap? Not in a Dell Dimension 2400! Too many kinky and
proprietary Dell connectors on the mobo... Ben Myers

On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 20:07:30 GMT, Nicholas Andrade <sdnick484@nospam.yahoo.com>
wrote:

>JJO wrote:
>> OK...this is a budget system, that is a given but I am trying to get peak
>> performance from the system. I have 512 MB of RAM, an NVidia 5500 video card
>> with 256 MB RAM, and a Celeron 2.4 running at 400 MHz FSB. Now the question
>> is will any of the following help:
>>
>> Increase the RAM to 768 MB or 1 GB
>>
>> Or replace the CPU with a P4 running at 2.6 or so with a 533 FSB setting.
>>
>> I realize that this system is about peaked out but another system is a
>> couple of years down the road.
>>
>> Thanks for any information,
>> John O.
>>

>Adding more RAM will generally help you with multitasking unless you're
>running something very specialized that needs large amounts (doubtful).
>
>A faster CPU will help you with speeding up specific CPU intensive
>operations. For the most part these are: encoding audio, transcoding
>video, compiling, extremely intesive math calculations (eg. CAD models),
>and games. You'll see a slight bump in some everyday tasks, but it will
>generally be insignificant unless the CPU jump is substatial.
>
>The P4 is a much better designed CPU than the Celeron, but in terms of
>bang for your buck, it probably isn't worth the jump for less than
>500MHz. One thing to consider is picking up a CPU/mobo combo and
>performing a swap. I was at Fry's yesterday with my friend and he
>picked up a P4 3.0J (800MHz FSB, 1MB cache) w/ an ECS motherboard
>(supports PCI-X & AGP as well as DDR & DDR2) that uses the Intel 915
>chipset for $250 (no rebates). I beleive you'd notice a jump with
>something like that, but just going to a P4 2.66 w/ 512KB cache & 533FSB
>would be suddle.

The only swap I am aware of is a 4600 board into the 2400 case. I believe
that is a doable upgrade but I am going to enjoy the 2400 for what it is and
work toward a fast P4 system in the future. Christmas present for 2006
maybe....grin.

Regards,
John O.

Ben Myers wrote:
> Ouch! Motherboard swap? Not in a Dell Dimension 2400! Too many kinky and
> proprietary Dell connectors on the mobo... Ben Myers

Interesting, I was unaware; I haven't owned a Dell desktop, thanks for
clarifying that.

Right. As a VERY general rule, motherboards from some Dell models can be
swapped into the cases from other models, and others cannot. (Duh!) But even
then, there are different connectors and leads, some missing on some models.
The best example I can think of this the non-standard cable from the back of the
motherboard to the front USB (sometimes other) ports. Dell seems to have
standardized on the cable from the motherboard to the front panel on-off switch
and LEDs. Of course there are also the Dell proprietary 3-pin fans, but some
models of Dell motherboard do not have a 3-pin fan header... Ben Myers

On Tue, 19 Apr 2005 06:31:36 -0400, "JJO" <jjo@nospam.ca> wrote:

>The only swap I am aware of is a 4600 board into the 2400 case. I believe
>that is a doable upgrade but I am going to enjoy the 2400 for what it is and
>work toward a fast P4 system in the future. Christmas present for 2006
>maybe....grin.
>
>Regards,
>John O.

>> Ouch! Motherboard swap? Not in a Dell Dimension 2400! Too many kinky
>> and
>> proprietary Dell connectors on the mobo... Ben Myers
>>
>> On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 20:07:30 GMT, Nicholas Andrade
>> <sdnick484@nospam.yahoo.com>
>> wrote:

>>>Adding more RAM will generally help you with multitasking unless you're
>>>running something very specialized that needs large amounts (doubtful).
>>>
>>>A faster CPU will help you with speeding up specific CPU intensive
>>>operations. For the most part these are: encoding audio, transcoding
>>>video, compiling, extremely intesive math calculations (eg. CAD models),
>>>and games. You'll see a slight bump in some everyday tasks, but it will
>>>generally be insignificant unless the CPU jump is substatial.
>>>
>>>The P4 is a much better designed CPU than the Celeron, but in terms of
>>>bang for your buck, it probably isn't worth the jump for less than
>>>500MHz. One thing to consider is picking up a CPU/mobo combo and
>>>performing a swap. I was at Fry's yesterday with my friend and he
>>>picked up a P4 3.0J (800MHz FSB, 1MB cache) w/ an ECS motherboard
>>>(supports PCI-X & AGP as well as DDR & DDR2) that uses the Intel 915
>>>chipset for $250 (no rebates). I beleive you'd notice a jump with
>>>something like that, but just going to a P4 2.66 w/ 512KB cache & 533FSB
>>>would be suddle.

Just one more question: I notice that Dell ships 2400's now only with
CD-ROM, CD-RW, or DVD-ROM optical drives. That's all I need for now --
but, is there anything about the system that would prevent me from
adding a standard DVD burner later?

Nothing to prevent installing a standard DVD burner. With a matching black
front bezel, of course... Ben Myers