VOODOO 5 5500 OR ANNIHILATOR 2?

robtheg

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Hey, I'm looking to get new graphics card here pretty soon. I've been considering the Voodoo 5 5500 and the Creative Labs Annihilator 2. I'm kind of leaning towards the Annihilator 2 right now. Looking for some good advice on which to get (or a different card if it would be better). I want one for under $300. Most of what I will be playing is space combat simulators.

THANKS!!

G

Annihilator 2. End of the line.

Check out benchmarks on tom's site and you'll see the power of the GPU! ;)

G

Anihilator 2, or one from Asus. The V5 just lags behind in speed too much.

G

You have to go with the annihilator. Creative is a quality brand name, and with a Nvida based product you know that it will be a good product with excellent support and drivers. Nvidia is quickly dethroning ATI to become the graphics card king. 3DFX has sunken and is still sinking to an all time low.

G

you do know the 2dfx voodoo 5 is basically just 2 older cards stuck together right?>

Bubba

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Get any Geforce card over the voodoo, just stay away from Creative Labs stuff.
I know they are the cheapest in price but you get what you pay for.

G

buwhahahahah, dont listen to these nVidiots. get that voodoo 5500 before they're extinct :/

silverpig

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I'd actually recommend creative labs cards over other brands. They're cheaper because they have no tv in/out or anything like that. This means that you can always use the latest beta drivers and not have to worry about losing some of the functionality of your card. As well, I've always found them to be very overclockable. My GeForce 256 DDR went from 120/300 to 170/390, and my GeForce GTS goes from 200/333 to 245/390.

G

VD5 suck!! stick with nvidia.

<font color=orange>What do you think? :wink: </font color=orange>

LTJLover

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Definately go Nvidia on that one. 3dfx cards are slower and cause more incompatibilities these days. I just bought an Asus V7700 GF2 deluxe for $223 and that has video in/out. I don't know about Creative labs, except that their sound cards rock.

Jon
"Water-Cooled CPU Runner"

Hobbit

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Well I am going back to 3dfx. Yep it is slower but my experience with nvidia has not been pleasing either. With the games that works nvidia is great. I have found that 3dfx works with all games or as close to all games as you could wish for. Apparently 3dfx makes sure their drivers work with most everything even win2k. I just returned two ATI AIW Readeon cards because the number of problems was just unbelieveable. The only thing those cards are good for in win2k is TV and a very few popular games. I do not recommend ATI. Avoid them like the plague. I am going to just get two V3 3000 AGP cards for about 160 dollars for now and wait another 6 months myself.

G

I have both cards I can say from experience that both are great cards. Anyone that says that the v5500 sucks is really talking out of ignorance. In some respects the v5500
is superior then the geforce. Like for e.g fsaa compatiblity with any game you throw at it. I think the v5500 is the best solution for non quake3 type engine games as well. The nvidia is a great card the really excel in quake games and really isn't to bad in anything else. I don't i think you can't go wrong either one, that's way I have them both!

G

In some respects the v5500 is superior then the geforce. Like for e.g fsaa compatiblity with any game you throw at it.
yes, you're right. good FSAA.
640x480 with 4x4 FSAA and 1024x768.
which resolution will you use ?
i pick 1024x768.

if the card play better on 1024x768, why 640x480 with FSAA?

why i have to pick a card that cannot play with 32bit-color?

the price is lower while play faster with higher resolution, why not nvidia ?

remember, VD5 consumes more power.

G

Voodoo 5 5500 costs too much money for the performance you get compared to Annihilator 2.

G

why not GF256DDR ? better framerate.

Raistlin

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
You are right up until the 32bit color
the new v4 and v5 support 32bit color it was the v3 and v2 series that didnt ;)

Bored, Certified tech.

the radeon is like the voodoo5 and the geforce 2 gts stuck into one! :)

the radeon has awsome picture quality and speed! and yes i'm talking from experience too. i have an ATI AIW Radeon. awsome card! Imagine quake 2 at 1024x768 and very high details and and FSAA! not a glinch!

G

in owning a V5, can only offer the following

the V5 is probabbly the most dissapointing card of the V line, but by no means does it suck, it does indeed run all games very well, not just Q3. I will just leave it at that. like said above, anyone who simply says "get the Geforce , 3dfx sucks " is truely ignorant and it's indeed very sad that they could not see the things the V5 does good

Pros for V5
- Runs everything acceptably and is compatible ( anyone who says geforces have less problems is full of it )
- Excellent for hi-res gaming in almost every game ( not all though )

Cons for V5
- underpoerformer in low-res gaming ( yes, some people actually care about perforance in 640x480 still, thats why I am not 100% fond of this card and my #1 concern )
- the 64 meg is really 32, but other than that 32 is ok in fact, at least in 3dfx land it's ok
- obviusly does not having any bells and whistle to brag off such as the TnL and stuff

things that people talk about that really mean jack sh1t

- the DDR Vs SD ram thing ( for anyone that really wants to know, two duplicated banks of SD_ram feeding SLI VS 1 bank of DDR is not entirely much differant in the end )

- TnL Vs FSAA ( come on, who cares, FSAA is not really that exciting, and TnL is still not really used to any drastic extent)

- 1 chip vs 2, who gives a rats ass how you come to the solution, 2 chips cost lots of money, DDR ram costs alot of money, the point of this useless argument may I ask? ( heh, at least the V5 looks cool )

- the V5 is so big, once again, who cares, it looks cool, and if you have a case where it does not fit, I pitty you.

- the V5 is expensive or the geforce is expensive... Dammit, they are both obsurdly expensive, it's sick.

- Tom and anand say this and that - well, I say they both have good points when actually playing a game, speaking from beyond just running demo1. So now you can say.... Zeroumus says ......

to orginal poster:

Honestly, you just have to try both to know for your self, there are many small details about game play that you might notice netween the cards that go far beyond the benchmarks people point you to