HELP needed HOW TO WRITE to DVD ????

Have a nice shiny new Dell laptop with latest version of WinXP Pro and a
built in DVD+RW drive.

TWO questions:-

1. How do I write files to the DVD?

With a CD, I just inserted the CD and pasted the folders/files I wanted to
back up into the CD drive in Explorer. With this DVD this doesn't work.
How should I back up to DVD?

Have no prior DVD writing experience, so unless a simple answer, please
reply in detail.

2. How do I make this DVD drive completely region free?

At the moment, I have not set a region code, and I don't want to. The
properties says I should select one, and that I can only make 5 changes etc.
Does leaving it "not-selected" make it region free? Or do I need to
install some software to make it so?

Many thanks in advance for constructive and helpful answers that actually
address the questions.
ie. ppl who can't actually answer the questions, please don't clutter up the
thread!
3 answers Last reply
More about help needed write

    Hello
    Windows XP can write to CD without any additional third party software, but
    I think I am right in saying that to write DVDs' you need a third party
    program such as Nero Burnin Rom or the Roxio suite of programs. In the case
    of Nero there are some very basic DVD authoring tools included. As far as
    backing up to DVD is concerned one way is to backup to a specially created
    partition and then just burn that to a DVD. To do it directly to DVD you
    need DVD UDF recording software such as Ahead InCD or Roxio DirectCD

    Chelsea

    "Chelsea" <gallium1@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Hello
    > Windows XP can write to CD without any additional third party software,
    > but I think I am right in saying that to write DVDs' you need a third
    > party program such as Nero Burnin Rom or the Roxio suite of programs. In
    > the case of Nero there are some very basic DVD authoring tools included.
    > As far as backing up to DVD is concerned one way is to backup to a
    > specially created partition and then just burn that to a DVD. To do it
    > directly to DVD you need DVD UDF recording software such as Ahead InCD or
    > Roxio DirectCD
    >
    > Chelsea

    Thanks Chelsea (Clinton ;-) ???). I was hoping that WinXP would now be
    intelligent enough to process DVDs as data/file disks, even if not
    automatically to record audio/video.

    I've now got Roxio Direct CD, and I'll try that out.

    > Thanks Chelsea (Clinton ;-) ???).
    Better not pretend I'm her, probably get loads of anti Hilary SPAM lol

    Chelsea

DVD Windows XP