v3 3000 agp problem

G

My buddy has problem with his v3 3000 agp.
The drivers are loaded correctly but for some reason he is now getting an error message. He is stuck at 640x480 @ 16 bit color. Whenever he tries to change it to anything else he gets the following message:

'the display control panel is unable to change the display settings. please check your display hardware in device manager'

From what I can tell there is NO conflicts.
Here is his rig:

FC-PGA 533A celeron
Asus P3V4X MB
128 megs of kingmax ram
maxtor 20 gig ata100 7200 rpm Hard disk
24X cd-rom
some diamond sound card
USR ISA 56K modem
v3 3000 agp
Sony 200ES 17" monitor
Win98SE

He called me with this problem and I didn't have a clue. I went over to his place and since the computer didn't have much on it we just did a reformat. The reformat went great and after the v3 3000 was working perfectly. He called me again 2 days later with the same damn problem. He has Norton's antivirus installed and it isn't picking up anything. Could he have installed some piece of software that is causing this? Before 50 people ask, yes the 4in1 drivers are installed.

Also at the time, he had the latest 3dfx drivers installed. I think the bios version is 1005. Whatever the bios is, it was the latest when he got the motherboard and that was like 3 weeks ago.

Personally, I think he is hosing his system somehow but I promised that I would post it and see if it got any hits. Also, when I say I went to his place you have to know that it is 90 miles away.

uncoando

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
He's stuck w/ 16 bit color, that's a given.
I would
1)uninstall v3, remove all vestiges of it from system
2)reinstall 4 in 1 drivers
3)reinstall v3 drivers
4)reinstall direct x 7a

shadow video BIOS
reduce agp aperture to 64 mbs or below

<b><font color=blue>Brainy Sturgeon</b></font color=blue>

G

Is he deleting his 3dfx Display adapters? or Changing them? I would try reinstalling the drivers...

If all else fails, have him contact 3dfx Tech support...You have the free tech support thru them, so might as well use them...

G

Ok, I have a V3 3000 and when I first installed it I was stuck at 640x480 (although I could do 32 bit mode). But the fix for this is very simple. Make sure that the monitor in the 3dfx tools is set to your monitor or one that can display at the same resolution. If it is on the default monitor, it will only be able to display at 640x480.

-Schmave-

G

Just uncheck the opion "Searching plug&play supported monitor automatically" in display configuration.
because I use non-english version windows, I just guess the words roughly.
good luck. bye

G

the monitor is configured properly. Windows shows it as a Sony 200ES. He has all the options to change the resolution and color settings but it just won't let him.