ATI won't play DVD

Scout

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I bought an ATI Rage Fury Pro 32 meg AGP card because I read it offered a good hardware DVD decoder. But when installed in my Duron 800 (A7V) the ATI DVD player freezes the computer right after the FBI warning screen. The ATI web site only offers the solution to reinstall the DVD software, which I have, but it doesn't help. They say it may be due to previous DVD software, but I've never had any.

I'm using the latest VIA 4 in 1 drivers and DirectX 7.0. Windows 98SE, the latest 4.12 ATI card drivers and their latest 6.2 DVD player software. The video card works normally in 3D gaming and DXDIAG shows "no problems". The DVD player will successfully play DVD's when I use Power DVD software and my old Voodoo3 video card, so I think it's not a problem with thte drive. I am using a Yamaha DS-XG PCI sound card.

Per the ATI help web site, I tried the DVD player on multiple IDE channels and made sure the video card wasn't sharing an IRQ... but nothing helped.

My local tech said they have had some problems with these ATI cards and I should try using some older drivers!!! Anybody know which ones or have any idea on what to try next? Or else I bought that ATI card for nothing!!!

Scout

Bubba

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I think I had this problem a long time ago and I think it was an IRQ problem but it sounds like you have tried everything I would suggest.
Sorry

RavenPrime

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
The DVD playback from ATI cards is excellent. See my post about DVD players.
I agree ATI tech support is useless.
I noticed you have an A7V. Does your system lockup at other times? My old system using an ATI Rage Fury plays DVDs flawlessly.
My new system with an A7V mobo locked up right after the FBI warning screen. Upgrading to DirectX 8.0 seems to have fixed the problem with the DVD player though it still locks up with other programs but ?maybe not as often.

James

breed33

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I have the All in Wonder Radeon and I was experiencing the same problem in Win2K. It would freeze after four or five seconds of mpeg2 playback. MY video card shares its IRQ with almost 9 other devices in Win2K. I am not sure how to change the other devices. Most are on the board (Asus A7V) like the USB controller, ata 100 controller, ethernet card. If someone could tell me how to assign these to other devices or how to move my video card I would appreciate it.

As for my Win98SE boot I can watch DVD as long as I don't try to resize the window once it starts playing. I have the latest drivers from VIA and Promise. I am not sure the DVD player version?

I tried the help thing with ATI and they sucked also.

Ravenprime, what OS are you using?

If you guys figure anything out let me know please. Thanks
Brian

Scout

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
My A7V system never locks up at other times. That's the strange part. It's probably the most stable system I have ever used. It's actually a 650 Duron that is unlocked and I have it at 800 at 1.7 volts. It has never locked up on me (outside of this DVD problem) since I put the machine together (about three months)!

Scout