Need to find the best 1080p laptop to start a business with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

enoch29sf

Honorable
Nov 21, 2012
A website about promoting short stories and poetry. I need to have 1080p to make sure when I design and work on the site I can look how it looks on all normal resolutions.

enoch29sf

Honorable
Nov 21, 2012

I'm not really tied down to a budget at this point. I'm looking for the best 1080p resolution laptop that can game on high graphics for the most affordable price. Somewhere around $1000 - $600. (just because I've already looked at $1,200/$1,100 laptops)

Lol so you want it for gaming. Not business. That is a HUGE difference. Lying is not helpful, and we don't even care. Why not just be honest to start? People can't help if you aren't....

Labrynthian

Honorable
Oct 9, 2012

Haha. I couldn't agree more. :pt1cable:

Anyway, THAT'S why I asked what you're going to use it for. Here you go. This is the best laptop in the under $1,000 range.

http://www.theverge.com/products/ideapad-y580/4604

It's a standard 15.6 inch screen. 1920x1090 resolution. It's equipped with a good 3rd gen core i7 processor, and a good 2GB NVIDIA GTX 660M graphics card. The only problem is the RAM. It's default is 2GB but upgradable to 8GB. You should upgrade it to 8GB for the best performance. You won't need more than 8GB RAM in any case. You'd manage just fine with 6GB RAM as well.

The main point here is the price. You're getting a really good processor, GPU and resolution for under $1,000. You said you did your research on the $1,100/$1,200 laptops... I'm sure you saw them equipped with an i7 processor and a 660M or less. Here, you're getting the same specs at a lower price. Enjoy :)

enoch29sf@

Honorable
Nov 19, 2012

I am talking about a laptop for a business that has the added feature of gaming.

Something that is for work and has the added feature of being able to be for play too on occasion.

Anyway, THAT'S why I asked what you're going to use it for. Here you go. This is the best laptop in the under $1,000 range.

http://www.theverge.com/products/ideapad-y580/4604

The lenovo y580 is a good pick but so far there aren't any amazing sales on it.

enoch29sf@

Honorable
Nov 19, 2012

Labrynthian

Honorable
Oct 9, 2012
You're way too close to black friday to rely on going there and finding anything. I cannot tell you what's going to be on sale and what's not. People normally do crazy amounts of research weeks before, so that they know exactly what to buy on black friday. It's absolutely crazy in the stores. And you should probably go stand in line right about now. :)
The options I've given you are the best in the under $1,000 range. If you want something else, you're going to have to settle for a lower quality of laptop.
What you can do, is go through the specs of the laptops I've listed, and write down what you like and don't like. Then you can head to the store tomorrow and take a look at the specs of the laptops on sale, and see if any of it matches or is similar to your list. If you don't get one tomorrow, then you can settle for getting one online...

Anyway, decide what you want to do and decide quick. The clock is ticking. Good luck :)

enoch29sf@

Honorable
Nov 19, 2012

I don't want a dell.

The asus you listed was top of the line around this time last year so it's almost a year old, which is why I said it's good.

The problem is equipment that's almost a year old is less than $200 away from the best equipment of today. And the top quality equipment of today doesn't seem to have any significant sales.

I appreciate your help though.

I wonder if the gt 630m on the asus is much different than the 660m on the lenovo y580.

Labrynthian

Honorable
Oct 9, 2012
The 630M is WORLDS apart from the 660M. The 630M is a mid ranged class 2 graphics card, which means it will manage most games on low-medium, and only a few on high. The 660M is a mid ranged class 1 GPU which will manage almost all games on high-ultra settings without a problem. It's a much better card.

Anyway. Technology get's out-dated pretty much every 6 months, one way or another. That's the rate of change in today's world. Try to keep that in mind when considering your purchase.

As I said before, the Ideapad Y580 is your best bet.

enoch29sf@

Honorable
Nov 19, 2012

Another consideration is going the AMD route. I've read a lot of good things about the GX60 from MSI http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834152372

I found almost an identical setup just a different graphics card and it's $400 cheaper. The amd graphics card in the cheaper laptop is the 7730g while the one in the GX60 is a 7970.

Do you know a way for me to compare the two graphics cards? Do you know anything about the 7730g?

enoch29sf@

Honorable
Nov 19, 2012

cool.

I couldn't find the 7730g on that list. I found the 7730m in class two though

link of laptop with 7730g http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4978349&CatId=4935

edit: I was just reading about the processor a10-4600 series on that MSI laptop on the website you linked. Seems like it's only recommended for "light gaming". I wonder if the 7970 coupled with the a10-4600 are actually excellent for more than "light gaming". MSI seems to be marketting it as the Zues of gaming laptops.

enoch29sf

Honorable
Nov 21, 2012

yeah, actually now I am thinking of getting an intel because it says the I3 is better than the A10-4600 on the site you linked and that is just not what I am looking for.

Now I'm looking for at least an I5, hopefully an I7 and I'll be looking at the graphics card benchmarks.

Thanks for helping me out. If you happen to have a recommendation for a top quality graphics card full hd with a good processor that isn't Lenovo y580 please do share. :)

Thanks for helping me out so far.

Labrynthian

Honorable
Oct 9, 2012
I have no idea why you're against Dell. They're a really good company with really good customer support. They also have decent prices, at least if it you get it straight from them. Anyway.
A decent gaming laptop should have a good processor (3rd gen core i7 at least), a good amount of RAM (6GB or more) and a good graphics card (Depends on the game you want to play, but should be 2GB card or more).
That said, you're not going to find anything better than the Y580 in your price range, as I've said earlier.
Now IF you want a good set of processor, RAM and GPU, you're going to need to spend more. If you're willing to go to $1,200-$1,400, I could list out a million laptops for you to check out. If not, Lenovo and Dell are your best mates.
Asus's good stuff starts only after $1,200...

enoch29sf@

Honorable
Nov 19, 2012

Your benchmark stuff showed that SLI and crossfire blow single cards away. I wonder if there is a cheaper laptop with an extra slot for graphics card that can be purchased later for SLI or Crossfire or a cheaper laptop than the lenovo with an SLI or crossfire already installed.

abardwell

Honorable
Nov 22, 2012

I wouldn't get too hung up on sales... I'm going on 3 1/2 years with a Lenovo T500 and the after sales support has been first rate. Machine bullet proof too. I'm self employed and so I can't afford to waste time with downtime. What do you bill your time for? At $100/hour it isn't hard to burn through $2,000 of your time fixing problems. As for Dell (someone mentioned elsewhere... read industry reviews - their aftersales support is poor. I looked at the new XPS 15 - sexy machine but too many issues for my liking)...

Status
Not open for further replies.