verifying dmi pool data

i have an intermittent problem where my computer hangs at 'verifying dmi pool
data' followed by 'boot from cd'.

i generally press the re-start button and it boots up fine.

unfortunately it doesn't always work and the intermittent nature of the
problem is getting irritating.

do you think i should;
a) just re-install windows xp and see if it offers to repair any
missing/damaged bootup files
b) enter 'fixboot' command from the recovery console
c) enter 'fixmbr' from the recovery console
d) take it back from where i bought it

I definately don't know enough to start mucking around with the BIOS and i
don't want to lose access to any partition tables or whatever they're called!

As i said it isn't a huge problem just an irritating thing that happens once
a day and when the computer does restart it works perfectly.

I'd really appreciate any suggestions.
--
gb

"gorbablond" <gorbablond@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>i have an intermittent problem where my computer hangs at 'verifying dmi
>pool
> data' followed by 'boot from cd'.
>
> i generally press the re-start button and it boots up fine.
>
> unfortunately it doesn't always work and the intermittent nature of the
> problem is getting irritating.
>
> do you think i should;
> a) just re-install windows xp and see if it offers to repair any
> missing/damaged bootup files
> b) enter 'fixboot' command from the recovery console
> c) enter 'fixmbr' from the recovery console
> d) take it back from where i bought it
>
> I definately don't know enough to start mucking around with the BIOS and i
> don't want to lose access to any partition tables or whatever they're
> called!
>
> As i said it isn't a huge problem just an irritating thing that happens
> once
> a day and when the computer does restart it works perfectly.
>
> I'd really appreciate any suggestions.
> --
> gb

It's not a software problem; at that point, Windows hasn't started loading,
so anything you do, software-wise, isn't going to make any difference.

You've got a hardware problem brewing, and since it's intermittent, it's
going to be a little more difficult to track down. most often I've seen your
problem when there are issues with one of the drives -- most likely the hard
drive, but it could also be a CD drive. It could be a bad/loose cable, or it
could be the drive itself going bad, or it could be the IDE controller on
the motherboard. I've also seen the same problem with bad memory and a dying
power supply.

You could try troubleshooting now, if you've got the spare parts and the
time to kill, or you could wait until whatever it is finally dies, and then
replace it.

Just in case it's the hard drive, you might want to make sure you've got
good backups.