Newbie network question

Last response: in Wireless Networking
a b F Wireless
April 28, 2004 9:30:31 PM

Hi all.

I have a wireless ADSL connection in my appartment. One PC is running
Windows XP and is connected to a wireless modem; the second PC (on another
floor) is running Windows 98, and is successfully connected to the internet
with a wireless LAN USB adapter.
What must I do now to network the two machines so that they can share files?
Do I need a wireless LAN adapter for the XP machine? Do I need anything else
for the 98 machine?
Sorry to be so dumb about this.

Many thanks in advance for any help
Lynda.
April 28, 2004 9:30:32 PM

On 04/28/04 11:30 Lynda spoke:
> Hi all.
>
> I have a wireless ADSL connection in my appartment. One PC is running
> Windows XP and is connected to a wireless modem; the second PC (on another
> floor) is running Windows 98, and is successfully connected to the internet
> with a wireless LAN USB adapter.
> What must I do now to network the two machines so that they can share files?
> Do I need a wireless LAN adapter for the XP machine? Do I need anything else
> for the 98 machine?
> Sorry to be so dumb about this.
>
> Many thanks in advance for any help
> Lynda.

So, the 98 machine is using the Internet from the XP machine?
Where does each machine get their IP from?

Remove .NOSPAM from my email address to reply directly.
April 28, 2004 9:30:32 PM

On Wed, 28 Apr 2004 17:30:31 +0200, "Lynda" <*email_address_deleted*> wrote:

>Hi all.
>
>I have a wireless ADSL connection in my appartment. One PC is running
>Windows XP and is connected to a wireless modem; the second PC (on another
>floor) is running Windows 98, and is successfully connected to the internet
>with a wireless LAN USB adapter.
>What must I do now to network the two machines so that they can share files?
>Do I need a wireless LAN adapter for the XP machine? Do I need anything else
>for the 98 machine?
>Sorry to be so dumb about this.
>
>Many thanks in advance for any help
>Lynda.

Lynda,

Here are a couple websites with useful tutorials:
http://www.cablesense.com/
http://www.homenethelp.com/

Your network description is just a bit vague. Are both computers accessing the
internet thru the same ADSL connection? If so, you shouldn't need any more
hardware.

Please provide ipconfig information for each computer.
Start - Run - "cmd". Type "ipconfig /all >c:\ipconfig.txt" into the command
window - Open c:\ipconfig.txt in Notepad, copy and paste into your next post.

Are you running both Client for Microsoft Networks, and File and Printer Sharing
for Microsoft Networks (Local Area Connection - Properties), on both computers?
Do you have shares setup on both?

Are you running NetBIOS Over TCP/IP (Local Area Connection - Properties - TCP/IP
- Properties - Advanced - WINS) on both computers?

Make sure the browser service is running on both. Control Panel -
Administrative Tools - Services. Verify that the Computer Browser service is
started.

Is the XP computer XP Pro? If so, check to see if Simple File Sharing (Control
Panel - Folder Options - View - Advanced settings) is enabled or disabled.

If SFS is disabled, check the Local Security Policy (Control Panel -
Administrative Tools). Under Local Policies - Security Options, look at
"Network access: Sharing and security model", and ensure it's set to "Classic -
local users authenticate as themselves".

If you set the Local Security Policy to "Guest only", make sure that the Guest
account is enabled, and has an identical, non-blank, password on all computers.
If "Classic", setup and use a common account with identical, non-blank, password
on all computers.

Do any of the computers have a software firewall (ICF or third party)? If so,
you need to configure them for file sharing, by opening ports TCP 139, 445 and
UDP 137, 138, 445, and / or by identifying the other computers as present in the
Local (Trusted) zone. Firewall configurations are a very common cause of
(network) browser and file sharing problems.

And Lynda, please don't contribute to the spread of email address mining
viruses. Learn to munge your email address properly, to keep yourself a bit
safer when posting to open forums. Protect yourself and the rest of the
internet - never post your address unmunged.
http://www.mailmsg.com/SPAM_munging.htm

Cheers,
Chuck