Which is better for moving around with Matte or Gloss screen

Status
Not open for further replies.

enoch29sf

Honorable
Nov 21, 2012
I move around a lot to coffeeshops, public parks, libraries, and school. Which one is a better screen for viewing, Matte or Gloss?

Solution
Matte screens. You can use them indoors and outdoors and you generally do no need to worry about where th light is shining from because you don't need to deal with glare.

I bought the Lenovo IdeaPad Y470 because on paper it had everything I was looking for. The only bad thing was the glossy screen. I bought a 14" Green Onions Anti Glare screen protector for it to eliminate glare. Not the ideal solution, but it was the best one.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_1_11?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=green+onions+screen+protector&sprefix=green+onion%2Caps%2C902
Matte vs Glossy Screens There are two kinds of modern LCD screens: matte (anti-glare) and glossy. Both have their pros and cons and are a subject of many discussions.

Matte screens don't get glare or reflections on them; however, the same rough surface (polarizer) that reduces the intensity of reflected light results in less contrast and brightness since the light from the LCD screen has to pass through it. Matte screens diffuse light instead of reflecting it so they might be easier to read outdoors, if the backlight provides enough brightness. You don't have to worry about reflections unlike with a glossy screen. One of the downsides of a strong anti-glare coating in matte displays is a grainy "crystalline" pattern which is mostly visible when viewing text on a white background.

Glossy screens have vibrant colors and high contrast and brightness because they have a smooth, high-gloss surface. As a result, it is often the choice for movies or gaming. However, strong lighting sources in the environment cause glare on these screens which is not only annoying, but can also cause eye strain and pain. If the lighting isn't adequate, you will also see distracting reflections on the screen. Some graphics designers may find the colors inaccurate, although that mostly depends on the LCD matrix. Glossy will work great for you if the lighting in your room doesn't create any glare on the screen. I honestly would recommend Matte but to each his/her own.

Matte hands down. Glossy screens are pretty horrible, I don't know why they are used at all. you'll notice all most all decent desktop screens are matte. Never mind for a laptop and moving around where you can't control the light. Or the sun. Gloss will be absolutely horrid.

Matte screens. You can use them indoors and outdoors and you generally do no need to worry about where th light is shining from because you don't need to deal with glare.

I bought the Lenovo IdeaPad Y470 because on paper it had everything I was looking for. The only bad thing was the glossy screen. I bought a 14" Green Onions Anti Glare screen protector for it to eliminate glare. Not the ideal solution, but it was the best one.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_1_11?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=green+onions+screen+protector&sprefix=green+onion%2Caps%2C902

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.