Bottleneck....

G

I am running a PII 415 on an abit be6II with a Viper 770(TNT2). I recently started to have problems with playing games (my framerate sucks)and have started the search for something that will speed my computer up when I play games. I narrowed it down to a new processor (PIII 800) or a video card (Geforce 2). Anyway, I have started to lean towards the Geforce 2 but wanted to know if I get this card, will I see that much of a performance increase. I guess I am a little worried that i will buy this card and then my system wouldn't allow it to work as well as it can. Does anybody know if the computer I am running wiil be a bottleneck if I get the Geforce 2???

G

Hmmmm, A geforce 2 still shows performance increases when moved from a P800 to P900. So i guess the processor is always a kind of bottleneck. They claim geforce unloads the CPU, but this is only true in special games and apps that support hardware T&L

Shortly said, you'll certainly see performance gains. After all you're upgarding to a card that is 4 times as fast as a TNT2. But i'm afraid that a PII450 is way to slow to make the card work at max speed. So if you want a good performance, you shall have to consider buying both!!

Godim

G

I have a 800 T-Bird and TNT2 ultra.... and average 71 FPS at 32 bit color....1024 rez

LTJLover

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I was in the same position. I am running a K6-3 400 and TNT2. Last week I popped for the Asus Geforce2 deluxe in hopes that this will hold me over until the DDR boards are out. P.S. I bought my bro a P3700 OCed to 805, and I am not impressed. My friend's new Duron 700 posts better numbers for almost $150 less.

Jon
"Water-Cooled CPU Runner"

Roger

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I run a Celeron 464 and upgraded from a Rage Fury to a Radeon. My performance tripled. Of course it would run faster with a faster processor but you will notice a considerable difference with a newer video card.

Ncogneto

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
To put my two cents worth in I think overall you are much better off with the p3 800. Of course both is the best option but I am sure money is an issue or you would not be asking this question correct? The simple truth of the matter is that your fpu is choaked at 450 mhz. Your fpu is very depended on the mhz of your processor. Besides a new vid card will only help out your 3d apps a new processor will help everything.

A little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing!

shark

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
[I run a Celeron 464 and upgraded from a Rage Fury to a Radeon. My performance tripled.]

it trippled because the rage fury was a performance catastrophy.

toonces

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
what kind of improvement did you see? i've got a 450 k6/2 w/ a tnt and i'm moving up to a 800 t-bird/geforce2. i was wondering what will i be seeing in performance improvements?

mpjesse

Splendid
I don't think just getting a new vid. card will do much. You need to really upgrade ur CPU and video card. A GF2 on a P2 450 is a major bottleneck. Go for a Duron 800 or something cheap and get a GF2 MX, that's my solution. Won't cost you much either.

-MP Jesse

Take_Out

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Here I am a couple of days late but only $.50 short. I would recommend that you get a moderately priced processor (PIII 800) and a GeForce DDR 32meg first version. I am also looking to upgrade till good DDR Motherboards. Even a PIII 600 would do wonders. Good Luck, Take-Out