Those #$%& Molex Connectors

So whose idea was it to make molex connectors so difficult to remove? I
recently replaced the power supply in my Dimension, which wasn't at all
difficult by itself but it took three days for my fingertips to heal.

More to the point: Is there some tool or technique I can use to make it
easier to take these things out?

Ted Zieglar
22 answers Last reply
More about those molex connectors

    > So whose idea was it to make molex connectors so difficult to remove? I
    > recently replaced the power supply in my Dimension, which wasn't at all
    > difficult by itself but it took three days for my fingertips to heal.
    >
    > More to the point: Is there some tool or technique I can use to make it
    > easier to take these things out?
    >
    > Ted Zieglar

    Ted,

    Which was the problem - the P1 (larger) connect or the smaller P2?

    I've seen the lock clips on the P1 connects malformed to the point of nearly
    breaking when unplugging, but not many of them.

    Typically both should be easy to unplug and require no special 'trick' or
    'tips'.

    Stew

    "Ted Zieglar" wrote:
    > So whose idea was it to make molex connectors so difficult to remove? I
    > recently replaced the power supply in my Dimension, which wasn't at all
    > difficult by itself but it took three days for my fingertips to heal.
    >
    > More to the point: Is there some tool or technique I can use to make it
    > easier to take these things out?

    <giggle> Just wait until you have to remove individual pins
    from the connector blocks. But.... there IS a special tool for
    doing THAT.

    Rick Lowen

    "Ted Zieglar" <teddyz@notmail.com> wrote:
    >More to the point: Is there some tool or technique I can use to make it
    >easier to take these things out?

    I just wiggle them side to side and up and down. Some of them have
    latches, which are important to release....

    Actually, the IDE connectors were the tough ones -- P9, P8, P5 and P3, if I
    remember correctly. P1 was no piece of cake either. I've added and replaced
    IDE devices before, and in the past I've used pliers to unplug connectors,
    which is probably not a good idea.

    I think I once saw rubber sleeves that can be placed on molex connectors, so
    give yourself a better grip. Do you know about these?

    Ted Zieglar

    "Richard Lowen" wrote:
    > "Ted Zieglar" wrote:
    >> So whose idea was it to make molex connectors so difficult to remove? I
    >> recently replaced the power supply in my Dimension, which wasn't at all
    >> difficult by itself but it took three days for my fingertips to heal.
    >>
    >> More to the point: Is there some tool or technique I can use to make it
    >> easier to take these things out?
    >

    > <giggle> Just wait until you have to remove individual pins
    > from the connector blocks. But.... there IS a special tool for
    > doing THAT.

    Sorry, couldn't resist. Here's some of the tools available:

    http://www.molex.com/cgi-bin/bv/molex/home_init.jsp?channel=Products&chanName=superFamily&superFamOID=-8783&mCnt=/super_family/super_family.jsp&oid=-8783&BV_SessionID=@@@@0117381995.1113848788@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccccaddegehfiilcflgcehedffgdfmk.0&PN=hand%20tool;s&searchType=n&searchMethod=e

    Click on Manual Insertion/Extraction under Crimp Technology.

    The tools consist of a handle and a narrow metal tube which
    slips over the end of the pin and compresses the spring
    "fingers" which prevent the pins from being pulled out.
    The tools are as simple as a hammer, but when you need
    one, they're as good as rocket science.

    Rick Lowen

    Thanks Richard. I'm somewhat familiar with the tools that remove individual
    pins from the connector blocks...at least, that's what I come up with when I
    Google for 'molex removal'. I don't really think there is a tool that will
    help remove a molex conector from its seat. Instead, I'm looking for pliers
    to which I can add something to cushion the grips.

    Ted Zieglar

    > Thanks Richard. I'm somewhat familiar with the tools that remove
    > individual
    > pins from the connector blocks...at least, that's what I come up with when
    > Google for 'molex removal'. I don't really think there is a tool that will
    > help remove a molex conector from its seat. Instead, I'm looking for
    > pliers
    > to which I can add something to cushion the grips.
    >
    > Ted Zieglar

    I actually had a small 'leverage pry' device/tool I got from Seagate that
    was designed specifically for wiggling (IDE) power connects loose. Problem
    is, I don't know if they're offered retail or for that matter what the heck
    they're called.?!?!?

    Stew

    I've got Seagates...I'll give 'em a try.

    Ted Zieglar

    "S.Lewis" wrote:

    > I actually had a small 'leverage pry' device/tool I got from Seagate that
    > was designed specifically for wiggling (IDE) power connects loose. Problem
    > is, I don't know if they're offered retail or for that matter what the heck
    > they're called.?!?!?

    Well, if you discover a source, please post it. I've got a need for
    something like that for hard-to-get-at connectors in my car.

    Rick Lowen

    I actually wrote to Seagate technical support. Here is their response:

    "Thank you for your inquiry. I can definitely empathise with you - some
    days, I have to move hard drives around alot and my fingers do smart
    afterwards! There is no "official" prying device, but many people have had
    good results from normal size pliers. Make sure that you do not brace the
    prying device against the body of the hard drive itself when you are trying
    to remove the cabling, so as not to damage the hard drive."

    > "S.Lewis" wrote:
    > >
    > > I actually had a small 'leverage pry' device/tool I got from Seagate
    that
    > > was designed specifically for wiggling (IDE) power connects loose.
    Problem
    > > is, I don't know if they're offered retail or for that matter what the
    heck
    > > they're called.?!?!?
    >

    > Well, if you discover a source, please post it. I've got a need for
    > something like that for hard-to-get-at connectors in my car.
    >

    > Rick Lowen

    I see a need for a specialty tool... perhaps for rent at Home Depot...
    :-)

    Rick Lowen

    >I actually wrote to Seagate technical support. Here is their response:
    >
    > "Thank you for your inquiry. I can definitely empathise with you - some
    > days, I have to move hard drives around alot and my fingers do smart
    > afterwards! There is no "official" prying device, but many people have had
    > good results from normal size pliers. Make sure that you do not brace the
    > prying device against the body of the hard drive itself when you are
    > trying
    > to remove the cabling, so as not to damage the hard drive."
    >
    > Ted Zieglar

    Stew <---------------------------- (he's lying)

    ;-)

    >I see a need for a specialty tool... perhaps for rent at Home Depot...
    > :-)
    >

    > Rick Lowen

    The seagate stamped tool I had (have somewhere, so had) was roughly the
    length of a church-key/bottle opener, but 2 to 3 times as wide. The business
    end was bent/crooked upward with two metal ears, the space in between the
    ears was the perfect width of the drive power connectors allowing for a
    small amount of clearance.

    The metal 'ears' on the tool (placed in between the power connector and the
    drive itself) met the plastic 'ears' on the molex power connect perfectly by
    simply lifting on the tool, rocking the crook in it gently on the back of
    the drive - in one very simple easy motion.

    Perhaps it wasn't Seagate's tool at all, but rather some sort of promotional
    giveaway. With the advent of SATA, it really won't matter much longer....

    Stew

    Yeah, probably some promotional give-away. I understand that the SATA data
    cable is much easier to handle than a ribbon cable, but does SATA use a
    different style power connector as well?

    Ted Zieglar

    > Yeah, probably some promotional give-away. I understand that the SATA data
    > cable is much easier to handle than a ribbon cable, but does SATA use a
    > different style power connector as well?
    >
    > Ted Zieglar

    Way different. Much different. In fact, SATA data and power connects feel
    flimsy in comparison.

    Stew

    Ted Zieglar wrote:
    > Yeah, probably some promotional give-away. I understand that the SATA data
    > cable is much easier to handle than a ribbon cable, but does SATA use a
    > different style power connector as well?

    YES! Same style as the data cable.

    S.Lewis coughed up:
    >> Yeah, probably some promotional give-away. I understand that the
    >> SATA data cable is much easier to handle than a ribbon cable, but
    >> does SATA use a different style power connector as well?
    >>
    >> Ted Zieglar
    >>

    > Way different. Much different. In fact, SATA data and power connects
    > feel flimsy in comparison.
    >

    > Stew

    I *always* have hurt fingers after @#$%ing around with them power plugs.
    I've often wondered why on earth they were so over engineered. Was it
    because the early HD's produced so much vibration that they were affraid of
    them falling out?

    --
    Forgetthesong,I'dratherhavethefrontallobotomy...

    Yes. Vibration. Also lack of a latching mechanism to secure the connector.

    .... Ben Myers

    On Wed, 20 Apr 2005 01:17:07 GMT, "Thomas G. Marshall"
    <tgm2tothe10thpower@replacetextwithnumber.hotmail.com> wrote:

    >S.Lewis coughed up:
    >> "Ted Zieglar" <teddyz@notmail.com> wrote in message
    >>> Yeah, probably some promotional give-away. I understand that the
    >>> SATA data cable is much easier to handle than a ribbon cable, but
    >>> does SATA use a different style power connector as well?
    >>>
    >>> Ted Zieglar
    >>>

    >> Way different. Much different. In fact, SATA data and power connects
    >> feel flimsy in comparison.
    >>

    >> Stew
    >
    >I *always* have hurt fingers after @#$%ing around with them power plugs.
    >I've often wondered why on earth they were so over engineered. Was it
    >because the early HD's produced so much vibration that they were affraid of
    >them falling out?
    >
    >--
    >Forgetthesong,I'dratherhavethefrontallobotomy...

    The 4-pin 5v-12v Molex connector predates the days of personal computers,
    turning up inside all sorts of beasts now extinct... Ben Myers

    On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 10:07:43 -0400, "Ted Zieglar" <teddyz@notmail.com>
    wrote:

    >So whose idea was it to make molex connectors so difficult to remove? I
    >recently replaced the power supply in my Dimension, which wasn't at all
    >difficult by itself but it took three days for my fingertips to heal.
    >
    >More to the point: Is there some tool or technique I can use to make it
    >easier to take these things out?
    >
    >Ted Zieglar

    The Vantec EZ Grip Molex Connector Kit may help for the next time.
    http://www.jab-tech.com/customer/product.php?productid=2359&partner=froogle
    With 10 connectors it should be enough for 2-3 Dells.

    Can't get the description from the Vantec site itself (I think this is
    in the part that is "temporary unavailable" at
    http://www.vantecusa.com/product-accessory.html

    http://www.cluboverclocker.com/reviews/mods/psu_mods/vantec_uv_plugs/
    got some pictures and the description :

    From Vantec's Site: "Removing the power from devices inside your
    computer can be difficult with standard molex plugs. The protrusions
    on the side of the molex are difficult to hold on firmly and, if you
    were to exert force, can leave your fingers feeling sore. The Vantec
    EZ-Grip Molex connectors simplify the ordeal by putting flexible,
    rounded grips on the top and bottom of the molex connector. Not only
    do these grips make it easier to hold, pressing down on the grips
    separates the connector from the device slightly, perfect for when the
    molex connector feels "stuck." Vantec EZ-Grip Molex Connectors are
    available in a variety of UV reactive colors."

    Thank you.

    Ted Zieglar

    <VH> wrote in message news:p8sk61pbgbt8t6ij89tn6lopt6q6ndk2af@4ax.com...
    > On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 10:07:43 -0400, "Ted Zieglar" <teddyz@notmail.com>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>So whose idea was it to make molex connectors so difficult to remove? I
    >>recently replaced the power supply in my Dimension, which wasn't at all
    >>difficult by itself but it took three days for my fingertips to heal.
    >>
    >>More to the point: Is there some tool or technique I can use to make it
    >>easier to take these things out?
    >>
    >>Ted Zieglar
    >>

    > The Vantec EZ Grip Molex Connector Kit may help for the next time.
    > http://www.jab-tech.com/customer/product.php?productid=2359&partner=froogle
    > With 10 connectors it should be enough for 2-3 Dells.
    >
    > Can't get the description from the Vantec site itself (I think this is
    > in the part that is "temporary unavailable" at
    > http://www.vantecusa.com/product-accessory.html
    >
    > http://www.cluboverclocker.com/reviews/mods/psu_mods/vantec_uv_plugs/
    > got some pictures and the description :
    >
    > From Vantec's Site: "Removing the power from devices inside your
    > computer can be difficult with standard molex plugs. The protrusions
    > on the side of the molex are difficult to hold on firmly and, if you
    > were to exert force, can leave your fingers feeling sore. The Vantec
    > EZ-Grip Molex connectors simplify the ordeal by putting flexible,
    > rounded grips on the top and bottom of the molex connector. Not only
    > do these grips make it easier to hold, pressing down on the grips
    > separates the connector from the device slightly, perfect for when the
    > molex connector feels "stuck." Vantec EZ-Grip Molex Connectors are
    > available in a variety of UV reactive colors."

  22. Stew mentioned a molex removal tool that:

    "was roughly the length of a church-key/bottle opener, but 2 to 3 times as wide. The business end was bent/crooked upward with two metal ears, the space in between the ears was the perfect width of the drive power connectors allowing for a small amount of clearance. The metal 'ears' on the tool (placed in between the power connector and the drive itself) met the plastic 'ears' on the molex power connect perfectly by simply lifting on the tool, rocking the crook in it gently on the back of the drive - in one very simple easy motion."

    Perhaps it was this?

    Easy removal tool for Molex Connectors (MRTOOL)
    http://www.wiebetech.com/products/misc.php

    "4 pin 'molex connectors' are well known for being a bear to unplug. Save yourself from hurt fingers and torn up fingernails with mrTool. This custom made aluminum device is perfectly suited for the task."

Dell Power Supplies Dimension Computers