Registry Error While Trying To Export Hives As Registry Hi..

Everytime I try to export HKLM and HKU as Registry Hive Files using regedit,
I get the following
error message:

Registry Editor
Cannot export D:\Hives\Local Machine: Error writing the file. There may be a
disk or file system
error.

I am trying to export the above mentioned hive to my second hdd. Can anyone
tell me what I am
doing wrong?

I'm using WinXP Pro SP2.

What have I tried? I did a clean install for WinXP with no service
pack update on a new hdd. As soon as the installation was complete, I
used regedit to access the registry. I tried to export HKLM as a
registry hive file to my desktop and received the a similar error
message.

I am not experiencing this problem when I export HKCR, HKCU, and HKCC as
Registry Hive Files.

I have administrator rights. Can anyone help? Thanx
3 answers Last reply
More about registry error export hives registry

    Note: The "Export registry" function in Regedit is USELESS (!) to
    make a complete backup of the registry

    Get both of these...

    NTREGOPT NT Registry Optimizer
    ERUNT The Emergency Recovery Utility NT

    Direct download links (the zip files just need unzipping and dropping on the
    drive. {Thank you, Jim}
    http://aumha.org/downloads/erunt.zip

    http://aumha.org/downloads/ntregopt.zip

    ERUNT [[Note: The "Export registry" function in Regedit is USELESS (!) to
    make a complete backup of the registry. Neither does it export the whole
    registry (for example, no information from the "SECURITY" hive is
    saved), nor can the exported file be used later to replace the current
    registry with the old one. Instead, if you re-import the file, it is
    merged with the current registry, leaving you with an absolute mess of
    old and new registry keys.]]
    http://home.t-online.de/home/lars.hederer/erunt/erunt.txt

    NTREGOPT [[Similar to Windows 9x/Me, the registry files in an NT-based
    system can become fragmented over time, occupying more space on your hard
    disk than necessary and decreasing overall performance. You should
    use the NTREGOPT utility regularly, but especially after installing
    or uninstalling a program, to minimize the size of the registry files
    and optimize registry access.

    The program works by recreating each registry hive "from scratch",
    thus removing any slack space that may be left from previously
    modified or deleted keys.

    Note that the program does NOT change the contents of the registry in
    any way, nor does it physically defrag the registry files on the drive
    (as the PageDefrag program from SysInternals does). The optimization
    done by NTREGOPT is simply compacting the registry hives to the
    minimum size possible.]]
    http://home.t-online.de/home/lars.hederer/erunt/ntregopt.txt

    Installing & Using ERUNT
    http://www.silentrunners.org/sr_eruntuse.html

    To see an illustrated registry restore procedure
    http://www.silentrunners.org/sr_erdntuse.html

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Wes
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    In news:22B11F6D-DD06-4750-9F5D-43396F438556@microsoft.com,
    ill4good <ill4good@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:

    "Wesley Vogel" wrote:

    > Note: The "Export registry" function in Regedit is USELESS (!) to
    > make a complete backup of the registry
    >
    > Get both of these...
    >
    > NTREGOPT NT Registry Optimizer
    > ERUNT The Emergency Recovery Utility NT
    > http://www.larshederer.homepage.t-online.de/erunt/
    >
    > Direct download links (the zip files just need unzipping and dropping on the
    > drive. {Thank you, Jim}
    > http://aumha.org/downloads/erunt.zip
    >
    > http://aumha.org/downloads/ntregopt.zip
    >
    > ERUNT [[Note: The "Export registry" function in Regedit is USELESS (!) to
    > make a complete backup of the registry. Neither does it export the whole
    > registry (for example, no information from the "SECURITY" hive is
    > saved), nor can the exported file be used later to replace the current
    > registry with the old one. Instead, if you re-import the file, it is
    > merged with the current registry, leaving you with an absolute mess of
    > old and new registry keys.]]
    > http://home.t-online.de/home/lars.hederer/erunt/erunt.txt
    >
    > NTREGOPT [[Similar to Windows 9x/Me, the registry files in an NT-based
    > system can become fragmented over time, occupying more space on your hard
    > disk than necessary and decreasing overall performance. You should
    > use the NTREGOPT utility regularly, but especially after installing
    > or uninstalling a program, to minimize the size of the registry files
    > and optimize registry access.
    >
    > The program works by recreating each registry hive "from scratch",
    > thus removing any slack space that may be left from previously
    > modified or deleted keys.
    >
    > Note that the program does NOT change the contents of the registry in
    > any way, nor does it physically defrag the registry files on the drive
    > (as the PageDefrag program from SysInternals does). The optimization
    > done by NTREGOPT is simply compacting the registry hives to the
    > minimum size possible.]]
    > http://home.t-online.de/home/lars.hederer/erunt/ntregopt.txt
    >
    > Installing & Using ERUNT
    > http://www.silentrunners.org/sr_eruntuse.html
    >
    > To see an illustrated registry restore procedure
    > http://www.silentrunners.org/sr_erdntuse.html
    >
    > --
    > Hope this helps. Let us know.
    >
    > Wes
    > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    Wes,
    I thank you for replying to my request for help. The information that you
    have provided me has helped me to understand the problem that I am
    experiencing. Prior to posting my problem here I have posted in six forums,
    including MSFN and The Elder Geek, without success. I have read about ERUNT
    and NTREGOPT in my travels. I already d/l'ed and installed both progs.
    NTREGOPT can be found as an app in the ERUNT execution directory.

    I now know that any problem that I can't resolve can always be dealt with in
    this and other Microsoft newsgroups.

    Thanks again...
    ill4good

    Keep having fun. :-)