Screwed by Nvidia and microsoft

G

I am realy pissed off @ microsoft and nvidia.

I have tnt2ultra, add that to 1GHz and 256mb ect,
it is nice for gameing ( I aint going to falk out £350 for the GF2ultra, or £100 for GF2MX for a few fps more)

And as I like to keep up with technology I dl and installed directx 8.00
now I started getting crashes and stuff very often, eg. 7 times a day while playing games.
SO I thought that I should get the latest drivers for their directx8 support. BUt they don't work on my tnt2ultra, the screen wobbles every time a menu or something comes up.

SO basically I am left with 1 choice vid card upgrade. I reckon I can hold off until christmass, and then buy a Radeon 64ddr.

G

Or you can get rid of DX8. There ARE programs out there that do that. They aren't endorsed by MS (obviously), but they should work.

Or you can just format your HDD and reinstall windows.

Ncogneto

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I agree, you opened up pandora's box installing directx 8 already. ( not that miocrosoft ever puts out a buggy product mind you :) ) Don't blame Nvidia just yet, they can not be responsible for not supporting software that didn't exist when they made the card. But if anybody will come up with new drivers to eventually support DX8 withthere old cards Nvidia will there tech team is second to none.

G

First, I got a P3 550@733 with GF DDR, installed directx 8 and using nvidia driver 6.31 - the most stable driver for GF. No problem whatsoever.

You said you installed the directx 8 and crashed your pc. Well, you should be careful with directx 8 - I recommand you to wait for directx 8.0a when it is more stable. Uninstalled directx 8 - which features T&L and it isn't gong to work with the graphics card that you are having right now.

And the latest nvidia driver will do you no good either. The older 5.xx driver is best suited for tnt2 family.

G

I must agree with the other posts in here. More times than not the newest isn't always the best. Exspecially when it deals with Microsoft. If theres one thing I've learn always and I mean always wait for other to purchase or test the product and find the bugs. Then when they come out with the more revised version. Get it. Need I say 95/95B and 98/98SE. (Give me DOS or give me death) The only stable OS

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Yeah. It isn't exactly fair to blame Nvidia for Microsoft's bad code. I'd just try removing DirectX 8. I never trust anything Microsoft releases until it has at least one revision. State-Of-The-Art often means Waiting-For-Bugless-Software, eespecially where Microsoft is concerned.

- Anything can be fixed with duct tape, a swiss army knife, and WD-40. :)

glazenuts

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
DirectX8 is sill in beta, Sorry to inform you, That you did it to yourself. Most people, myself included, can't wait to try the latest stuff. I too downloaded dx8 but refrained from installing to see what would happen to others, I'm glad I did. I've learned it doesen't pay to the first on your block. Just ask the early Athlon owners.

Jeffin LA.

Bandit

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
A good rule of thumb to follow with directX is NEVER download and install it period. Not even directX 7. Wait until you install a game that says "You need DirectX version X.X to run this game" and then install it from the CD. If you keep your vid card drivers current, you should never run into problems.