XP network/printer nightmare

GregF

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2004

I have several XP PCs, and all the sudden one of them can't find the
network printer. I did yesterday, but today it won't work. I thought I
would delete the printer, then use the Add Printer Wizard to just
reinstall it. But now it can't even find it. It can connect to the
shared internet connection (the switch and router/modem) but just can't
seem to find the rest of the net work. I don't know what would have
changed this all the sudden, but I've noticed XP likes to do this now
and the- lose the printer and make me do a little dance to try and
connect it again. I alway suscceed, but only after much frustration and
never knowing what actually fixed it. Lots of rebooting and searching
and magically one time it might actually find it. Is there something
else I can do to connect to it? When I do a Browse For Printer, it only
finds the Microsoft WIndows Network, not everthing below it, which the
other PCs can find, and that's where the PC with the network printer
should be. It's just not showing up. The other PCs can find it just
fine. The IP address has not changed. I have no idea what to do.

GregF

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2004

Well I finally figured out that I just had to reboot the PC that the
printer was attached to. But still, I don't understand why Windows XP
loves to just "dump" the printer now and then. Is there a way to add a
printer and then just "cement" it there so it can't be disabled by some
behind the scenes windows machinery?

Mark wrote:
> <gregf@kcls.org> wrote in message
> >I have several XP PCs, and all the sudden one of them can't find the
> > network printer. I did yesterday, but today it won't work. I thought I
> > would delete the printer, then use the Add Printer Wizard to just
> > reinstall it. But now it can't even find it. It can connect to the
> > shared internet connection (the switch and router/modem) but just can't
> > seem to find the rest of the net work. I don't know what would have
> > changed this all the sudden, but I've noticed XP likes to do this now
> > and the- lose the printer and make me do a little dance to try and
> > connect it again. I alway suscceed, but only after much frustration and
> > never knowing what actually fixed it. Lots of rebooting and searching
> > and magically one time it might actually find it. Is there something
> > else I can do to connect to it? When I do a Browse For Printer, it only
> > finds the Microsoft WIndows Network, not everthing below it, which the
> > other PCs can find, and that's where the PC with the network printer
> > should be. It's just not showing up. The other PCs can find it just
> > fine. The IP address has not changed. I have no idea what to do.
> >

> Try restarting the print spooler service in Services...stop and then restart
> it.

mark

> Well I finally figured out that I just had to reboot the PC that the
> printer was attached to. But still, I don't understand why Windows XP
> loves to just "dump" the printer now and then. Is there a way to add a
> printer and then just "cement" it there so it can't be disabled by some
> behind the scenes windows machinery?
>
> Mark wrote:
>> <gregf@kcls.org> wrote in message
>> >I have several XP PCs, and all the sudden one of them can't find the
>> > network printer. I did yesterday, but today it won't work. I thought I
>> > would delete the printer, then use the Add Printer Wizard to just
>> > reinstall it. But now it can't even find it. It can connect to the
>> > shared internet connection (the switch and router/modem) but just can't
>> > seem to find the rest of the net work. I don't know what would have
>> > changed this all the sudden, but I've noticed XP likes to do this now
>> > and the- lose the printer and make me do a little dance to try and
>> > connect it again. I alway suscceed, but only after much frustration and
>> > never knowing what actually fixed it. Lots of rebooting and searching
>> > and magically one time it might actually find it. Is there something
>> > else I can do to connect to it? When I do a Browse For Printer, it only
>> > finds the Microsoft WIndows Network, not everthing below it, which the
>> > other PCs can find, and that's where the PC with the network printer
>> > should be. It's just not showing up. The other PCs can find it just
>> > fine. The IP address has not changed. I have no idea what to do.
>> >

>> Try restarting the print spooler service in Services...stop and then
>> restart
>> it.

I have several PC's at work " XP" do this once and a while...it's usually
the spooler service has stopped. Why, I don't know!!!!