Windows Explorer and Internet Explorer crashes. ole32.dll ..

I am having problems starting both Internet Explorer and Windows Explorer.
Both generate the same error: "Internet (or Windows) Explorer has
encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the
inconvenience." The details show that ole32.dll is the guilty module. So
far I've had no success in locating a solution. I am using Windows XP Home
Edition.

I should also note that the control panel won't function either since it is
basically part of Windows Explorer.
3 answers Last reply
More about windows explorer internet explorer crashes ole32

    To repair all system files, go to Start/Run, and type: SFC /SCANNOW

    --
    Mark L. Ferguson
    "whynot" <whynot@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C0AF525C-2C1D-496D-BD91-DF0A26DA4D30@microsoft.com...
    >I am having problems starting both Internet Explorer and Windows Explorer.
    > Both generate the same error: "Internet (or Windows) Explorer has
    > encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the
    > inconvenience." The details show that ole32.dll is the guilty module. So
    > far I've had no success in locating a solution. I am using Windows XP Home
    > Edition.
    >
    > I should also note that the control panel won't function either since it is
    > basically part of Windows Explorer.

    I tried the SFC command but the problem persists.

    "Mark L. Ferguson" wrote:

    > To repair all system files, go to Start/Run, and type: SFC /SCANNOW
    >
    > --
    > Mark L. Ferguson

    Try a Repair, or 'upgrade' setup.

    If you run an XP "Upgrade"setup, from the original, or "Gold" version of the setup CD, and you have SP2 installed, it might go into
    a setup loop, and you could lose your install. Uninstall SP2, BEFORE you Upgrade setup from CD (that lacks sp2 on it.)

    875350 - How to remove Windows XP Service Pack 2 from your computer: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=875350

    How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install: http://michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

    --
    Mark L. Ferguson
    "whynot" <whynot@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E927ACD6-6BB1-43B8-BAB9-D67C86CD7A5E@microsoft.com...
    >I tried the SFC command but the problem persists.
    >
    > "Mark L. Ferguson" wrote:
    >
    >> To repair all system files, go to Start/Run, and type: SFC /SCANNOW
    >>
    >> --
    >> Mark L. Ferguson
    >> FAQ for Windows Antispy http://www.geocities.com/marfer_mvp/FAQ_MSantispy.htm

Windows Explorer Internet Explorer Windows XP