Windows Explorer and Internet Explorer crashes. ole32.dll ..

July 1, 2005 6:18:02 PM

I am having problems starting both Internet Explorer and Windows Explorer.
Both generate the same error: "Internet (or Windows) Explorer has
encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the
inconvenience." The details show that ole32.dll is the guilty module. So
far I've had no success in locating a solution. I am using Windows XP Home
Edition.

I should also note that the control panel won't function either since it is
basically part of Windows Explorer.
Anonymous
July 2, 2005 11:26:44 AM

To repair all system files, go to Start/Run, and type: SFC /SCANNOW

--
Mark L. Ferguson
"whynot" <whynot@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C0AF525C-2C1D-496D-BD91-DF0A26DA4D30@microsoft.com...
>I am having problems starting both Internet Explorer and Windows Explorer.
> Both generate the same error: "Internet (or Windows) Explorer has
> encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the
> inconvenience." The details show that ole32.dll is the guilty module. So
> far I've had no success in locating a solution. I am using Windows XP Home
> Edition.
>
> I should also note that the control panel won't function either since it is
> basically part of Windows Explorer.
Anonymous
July 16, 2005 9:28:02 PM

I tried the SFC command but the problem persists.

"Mark L. Ferguson" wrote:

> To repair all system files, go to Start/Run, and type: SFC /SCANNOW
>
> --
> Mark L. Ferguson

July 17, 2005 11:15:10 AM

Try a Repair, or 'upgrade' setup.

If you run an XP "Upgrade"setup, from the original, or "Gold" version of the setup CD, and you have SP2 installed, it might go into
a setup loop, and you could lose your install. Uninstall SP2, BEFORE you Upgrade setup from CD (that lacks sp2 on it.)

875350 - How to remove Windows XP Service Pack 2 from your computer: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=875350

How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install: http://michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

--
Mark L. Ferguson