Is this Hobby going to Die??

Lately there has not been much going on here on the group. With all
the rants and spam ,most off topic, there does not seem like this group
and hobby is what it used to be years ago. Now with the possible loss
of marketplace (which is only because people can't use the groups
properly) and the possible loss of Bob Roberts, I personally do not see
the future of this hobby being good. Also, some collectors have sold
their collection and moved on with their lives. Are we getting too old
for this stuff now? What is the future of this hobby?
45 answers Last reply
More about hobby

    Granted prices are about 50% of what they were 5 years ago and the
    hobby is on a downturn.

    This hobby is bigger than this newsgroup or RGVAM or any one supplier
    of parts. Go to an auction and there are still tons of people
    attending.

    You have to ask yourself are you in this hobby for yourself or "because
    everybody else is doing it".

    I for one collect what I like and like where the prices are going which
    is down.

    I don't think the hobby will completely die, but maybe become something
    obscure like jukebox collecting, or antique collecting, but it won't be
    for a long while.

    L.

    you must be relatively new here? which i didnt think

    but going back (late 90's) when collecting was at an all time high in
    terms of demand and value, there has always been fighting, spam, rants,
    off topic stuff etc... and its on almost all newsgroups not just here

    this topic has been covered before and not too long ago. basically most
    hard core collectors have their collections now. sure every now and
    then we rotate a few pieces in and out here and there. but we're mostly
    set. we are still passionate about arcades.

    the hobby is still going strong imo. perhaps the posts and traffic are
    down in this newsgroup, but i associate with a lot of people in here
    privately on the phone and email.

    bob roberts was one of a kind, im not writing him off yet. but if hes
    gone someone will replace him. he didnt do this for free. where theres
    money to be made the needs will be met i assure you.

    Well, I have been reading this group since '97 or early '98 and the way
    this group was then was way much better than now. It just seems like
    most of the topics now are not as useful as they were back then. Maybe
    I've just read them all and now anything new has been done over and
    over again?

    I have been collecting games since 1979.When I was 13 I would sweep the
    floor and clean games for a small gameroom 3 blocks from my house and
    he would give me broken or unwanted games and I would fix them up I
    bought My first game at 9 and I always have had at least 3 games in my
    house or apartment or in storage. I now have my own house and the
    basement is my gameroom I doubt that I will ever give it up. There will
    always be people that get into things and get bored and move on. It
    happens with every hobby, Me I am in for life
    Rob
    Plisskin wrote:
    > Lately there has not been much going on here on the group. With all
    > the rants and spam ,most off topic, there does not seem like this group
    > and hobby is what it used to be years ago. Now with the possible loss
    > of marketplace (which is only because people can't use the groups
    > properly) and the possible loss of Bob Roberts, I personally do not see
    > the future of this hobby being good. Also, some collectors have sold
    > their collection and moved on with their lives. Are we getting too old
    > for this stuff now? What is the future of this hobby?

    There were some pins and vids at Http://www.pennyarcadeexpo.com

    They got alot of play. I loved playing gorf on freeplay. Anyhow. yes.
    Some of the classics will never go away. I see they have a ms-pac at my
    community college. These icons won't go away. Namco still keeps
    re-iterating pacman as well. Heck pacman vs. makes me want to get a
    game cube just for it. prices getting depressed isn't an issue. Let it
    happen.

    Theres been some new blood in my generation. Don't expect this type of
    thing to die so easily.

    it's sad to see the value of your games drop to nothing, rare games
    included.
    it's great if your buying them. but they are only worth what you are willing
    to pay anyways anymore, no more.
    with mame and the multi games what came out, there is not much market
    anymore for dedicated games. I think guys will keep the games they like and
    sell off what's left.

    me personally, I don't even bother picking up games anymore unless it's a
    game I really want.
    And I already own or have owned most of those.
    I went this whole year and only bought 1 game so far, and it was a pin and
    has since been sold.
    unlike the old days when I would grab anything and everything.
    I don't ever see the prices returning to what they once were, however it
    wont die off completely.

    Troy,

    "Plisskin" <scorpiokings@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Lately there has not been much going on here on the group. With all
    > the rants and spam ,most off topic, there does not seem like this group
    > and hobby is what it used to be years ago. Now with the possible loss
    > of marketplace (which is only because people can't use the groups
    > properly) and the possible loss of Bob Roberts, I personally do not see
    > the future of this hobby being good. Also, some collectors have sold
    > their collection and moved on with their lives. Are we getting too old
    > for this stuff now? What is the future of this hobby?

  7. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    It started last year may 2004 for me. The fever caught on right away.
    It hit home instantly. I now have over 30 boards, 6 cabinets in the
    house, and working for video doctors full time. Talk about a Quick
    transition. This is it; the path won't be changing for me. I'm a
    lifer with a passionate craze. And all in just over a year! Now 2 of my
    buddies are exploring it. 1 just picked up his first cab. The business
    side of it drives me mad. There is some real scum in the industry.
    It's a double edged sword doing this for a living and for the love of
    the hobby at the same time. Conflicts with pricing, what they charge
    customers for my repair job ect. I understand that the repair
    industry, distribution, and operating is ones bread and butter. It's
    still not an excuse to be a greedy villain. At any rate, I do
    everything I do in business and hobby to feed the fever! This is a
    wonderful haven for support and being part of this wonderous culture.
  8. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    I came up with a theory on the new generation of collectors. Coined
    them the Street Fighter Generation. Collectors of the late 80's early
    90's games. A vision to share. So it will boost I beleive. Lots of us
    (street fighter generation) have more spending bread and are buying up
    the games we dreamed about as teens.
  9. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    Im in Wis larry, add me to your list..
  10. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    yes it will. If the peak was 100%, I'd say we are at 50% now. I think we
    will bottom near 15-20%. In terms of number of collectors, value of games,
    etc.

    "Plisskin" <scorpiokings@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Lately there has not been much going on here on the group. With all
    > the rants and spam ,most off topic, there does not seem like this group
    > and hobby is what it used to be years ago. Now with the possible loss
    > of marketplace (which is only because people can't use the groups
    > properly) and the possible loss of Bob Roberts, I personally do not see
    > the future of this hobby being good. Also, some collectors have sold
    > their collection and moved on with their lives. Are we getting too old
    > for this stuff now? What is the future of this hobby?

  11. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    Im still in need to 2 sf gen carts.. does anyone out there repair
    these!. got 2 dead carts. ackkk!.
  12. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    I don't think it will die, but I can't believe what it was like 6 years ago
    versus today. Now is a great time to collect in terms of $. There are
    those will get out of it, and those who will get the fever, and those who
    will sustain. If more people get out of it, then good for me. I'm not on
    the business side of it.

    tim (NH)

    "Chuk" <chuk@ourcade.com> wrote in message
    > yes it will. If the peak was 100%, I'd say we are at 50% now. I think we
    > will bottom near 15-20%. In terms of number of collectors, value of
    > games, etc.
    >
    > "Plisskin" <scorpiokings@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >> Lately there has not been much going on here on the group. With all
    >> the rants and spam ,most off topic, there does not seem like this group
    >> and hobby is what it used to be years ago. Now with the possible loss
    >> of marketplace (which is only because people can't use the groups
    >> properly) and the possible loss of Bob Roberts, I personally do not see
    >> the future of this hobby being good. Also, some collectors have sold
    >> their collection and moved on with their lives. Are we getting too old
    >> for this stuff now? What is the future of this hobby?

  13. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    I hope it's going nowhere so I can get my new basement filled. I picked
    up the rare ones I wanted (Satan's Hollow, Tutankham, Starship One,
    Gravitar)and will never sell plus some popular ones as well (Tempest,
    Tron, Battlezone, Zaxxon, Space Invaders, Dig dug). When someone says
    lets get together for the badger Game my house is always volunteered.

    Just the best part of being single, successful and a geek. This hobby
    will always be here for me.

    When I can get the Asteroids for 50, the centipede and millipede for
    50, the missile command, omega race and star wars for 50. I'll be in
    heaven so die hobby, die.

    I'm in Wisconsin as well.
  14. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    Pins are great no doubt... one thing scares me though... Stern... can
    anyone name another company that still produces pins? Im not a pin nut,
    serious and curious question. to my knowledge there isnt anyone else.
  15. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    No other company at this time is mass producing pinballs, besides Stern.
    There is a lot of talk about potentially other players, but at this point is
    is ONLY Stern.

    Regards,
    Dan
  16. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    Really who cares if the profiteers and posers leave? There are some
    advantages to having these people around, but mostly, for people like
    myself they are/were a drag, a drain, a parasite on the hobby.

    I've been collecting for nearly 7 years. I've never found a hobby like
    this. I remember pining after games like Berzerk and Defender in 1980.
    Games like Dragons Lair in 1983. I left arcade games behind me around
    1984. In fact from 84-98 the only games I remember were Ghosts n
    Goblins. Ghouls N Ghosts, After burner, Rastan, Virtual Fighter and
    Daytona USA.

    My current collection consists of 10 high end pins(MM, AFM, LOTR etc..)
    and 15 or so classic 80's vids. At this point in my collecting career,
    I aquire one or two games a year. Do I complain if I pay 2 or 3 hundred
    for a classic video game instead of 5 to 8 hundred? Nope, some how I
    will survive this terrible burden.

    So for those who leave the hobby, don't let the door hit you in the ass
    on the way out. More for the rest of us who have arcade games in the
    blood. I only feel sorry for future generations who will never
    appreciate why these examples of obsolete technology in colorful boxes
    were so important.
  17. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

[...]

  18. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    Oh and your a professional statistician now.???
    "Chuk" <chuk@ourcade.com> wrote in message
    > yes it will. If the peak was 100%, I'd say we are at 50% now. I think we
    > will bottom near 15-20%. In terms of number of collectors, value of
    > games, etc.
    >
    > "Plisskin" <scorpiokings@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >> Lately there has not been much going on here on the group. With all
    >> the rants and spam ,most off topic, there does not seem like this group
    >> and hobby is what it used to be years ago. Now with the possible loss
    >> of marketplace (which is only because people can't use the groups
    >> properly) and the possible loss of Bob Roberts, I personally do not see
    >> the future of this hobby being good. Also, some collectors have sold
    >> their collection and moved on with their lives. Are we getting too old
    >> for this stuff now? What is the future of this hobby?

  19. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    Yes, make that 17.4 to 19.2%

    "MARK" <MARKLINE@OPTONLINE.NET> wrote in message
    > Oh and your a professional statistician now.???
    > "Chuk" <chuk@ourcade.com> wrote in message
    >> yes it will. If the peak was 100%, I'd say we are at 50% now. I think
    >> we will bottom near 15-20%. In terms of number of collectors, value of
    >> games, etc.
    >>
    >> "Plisskin" <scorpiokings@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >>> Lately there has not been much going on here on the group. With all
    >>> the rants and spam ,most off topic, there does not seem like this group
    >>> and hobby is what it used to be years ago. Now with the possible loss
    >>> of marketplace (which is only because people can't use the groups
    >>> properly) and the possible loss of Bob Roberts, I personally do not see
    >>> the future of this hobby being good. Also, some collectors have sold
    >>> their collection and moved on with their lives. Are we getting too old
    >>> for this stuff now? What is the future of this hobby?

  20. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    I know that nobody here will admit it.But it's exactly as i predicted 2
    years ago on here.I told everyone to sell then while your games are still
    worth anything.Just do a google search from back then.I said exactly this
    was happening.This hobby/business is almost a thing of the past.Sure there
    will always be some people who will always love and collect games.But it
    like Baseball cards.Many years ago before everyone was collecting trading
    and so on.Whoever got in on the ground floor cleaned up.Same with ebay.The
    people who were doing ebay when it first started used to get 10 times the
    price they get for stuff now.It's like anything else.It's ran it's course
    and now the party is over and lets all go home until the next awesome thing
    becomes a hit.And then watch it fizzle out just like the game world.I
    enjoyed the ride and bought and sold 3 houses,Took many vacations,bought
    many items made of gold from this business.But now i can eat at Micky Dees
    with the money it generates.See you all at the next great Phase that comes
    along.HAPPY TRAILS TOOOO YOOOO.DOO DOODOODOOOO,HAPPY TRAILS TO YA MAMA.DOOT
    DO DOODY DOOOOOOOOO.:) HhahahahahahahaMade myself laugh.:))).Also the hit of
    acid i just dropped might have had something to do with it
    too.:)))):))):),,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
    "Plisskin" <scorpiokings@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Lately there has not been much going on here on the group. With all
    > the rants and spam ,most off topic, there does not seem like this group
    > and hobby is what it used to be years ago. Now with the possible loss
    > of marketplace (which is only because people can't use the groups
    > properly) and the possible loss of Bob Roberts, I personally do not see
    > the future of this hobby being good. Also, some collectors have sold
    > their collection and moved on with their lives. Are we getting too old
    > for this stuff now? What is the future of this hobby?

  21. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    Ok i can accept that.:)
    > Yes, make that 17.4 to 19.2%
    >
    > "MARK" <MARKLINE@OPTONLINE.NET> wrote in message
    >> Oh and your a professional statistician now.???
    >> "Chuk" <chuk@ourcade.com> wrote in message
    >>> yes it will. If the peak was 100%, I'd say we are at 50% now. I think
    >>> we will bottom near 15-20%. In terms of number of collectors, value of
    >>> games, etc.
    >>>
    >>> "Plisskin" <scorpiokings@yahoo.com> wrote in message

  22. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    This hobby is going nowhere. For those truly in it for the hobby and not
    the money it's more exciting now than ever as you can finally get that rare
    game or oddball title for a decent price. This IS a hobby, not a
    business.. hobbies ebb and flow.. prices go up and then back down but the
    true hobbiests will always be there. Those that walk through their
    gamerooms and look at their collections only to see dollar signs will be
    gone soon and the prices will get back to what they were in the early days
    of collecting. The only difference between then and now is that the
    majority of the warehouses have been found, the rare stuff's been located.
    The silly prices of the late 90's were a blip and good while they lasted and
    helped many people build their collections, but just like Beanie Babies the
    bubble eventually burst and reality came back into the picture. Just
    because things are not selling for stupid amounts of money don't equate that
    to a hobby dying. If you want to collect do it for yourself and the
    enjoyment of the hobby, if you want to invest in something talk to a bank.

    /b

    http://www.rgvac.com
    "Plisskin" <scorpiokings@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Lately there has not been much going on here on the group. With all
    > the rants and spam ,most off topic, there does not seem like this group
    > and hobby is what it used to be years ago. Now with the possible loss
    > of marketplace (which is only because people can't use the groups
    > properly) and the possible loss of Bob Roberts, I personally do not see
    > the future of this hobby being good. Also, some collectors have sold
    > their collection and moved on with their lives. Are we getting too old
    > for this stuff now? What is the future of this hobby?

  23. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    Hobbies rarely die. There are still tons of people out there with their
    baseball cards, matchbox cars and beenie babies. There will still be people
    collecting/selling/trading video games for many years to come. I work part
    time for an operator who sells plenty of stuff to homebuyers. He has to
    have the largest showroom on the East Coast if not in the country. The
    summers are slow but as Xmas closes in, it really starts to pick up. Of
    course he's located in Fairfield County, Connecticut which has alot of money
    floating around in it too.

    I used to sell alot of games, probably close to 200 over the past 4 or 5
    years, but I've cut way back and am working on my collection slowly instead.
    I got tired of not having a garage and bought a new car recently so I scaled
    back to having the car and two or three games in the garage instead of 12 or
    13 projects in there at any given time. At one point I had about 25 games
    in my garage and would have to pull 4 out just to get into the garage.

    I think the multigames and mame also reduce the demand for the classics
    because it's so much easier to have one machine that plays 9 or 39 or 3000
    games. Not everyone has a game room or basement to keep these in. If you
    live in an apartment I would think a multigame or Mame machine would be
    ideal. I also think that the people who grew up in arcades, much like
    myself, are starting to get to the age where their young ones are taking up
    much more time and they find themselves with alot less time to toy with
    hobbies. Driving here and there, soccer games, baseball games, school
    stuff.. it all adds up.

    Some interesting reading in the group these past couple of weeks.

    just my 2¢

    Scott

    "prOk" <bsonej@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > This hobby is going nowhere. For those truly in it for the hobby and not
    > the money it's more exciting now than ever as you can finally get that
    > rare game or oddball title for a decent price. This IS a hobby, not a
    > business.. hobbies ebb and flow.. prices go up and then back down but the
    > true hobbiests will always be there. Those that walk through their
    > gamerooms and look at their collections only to see dollar signs will be
    > gone soon and the prices will get back to what they were in the early days
    > of collecting. The only difference between then and now is that the
    > majority of the warehouses have been found, the rare stuff's been located.
    > The silly prices of the late 90's were a blip and good while they lasted
    > and helped many people build their collections, but just like Beanie
    > Babies the bubble eventually burst and reality came back into the picture.
    > Just because things are not selling for stupid amounts of money don't
    > equate that to a hobby dying. If you want to collect do it for yourself
    > and the enjoyment of the hobby, if you want to invest in something talk to
    > a bank.
    >
    > /b
    >
    > http://www.rgvac.com
    > "Plisskin" <scorpiokings@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >> Lately there has not been much going on here on the group. With all
    >> the rants and spam ,most off topic, there does not seem like this group
    >> and hobby is what it used to be years ago. Now with the possible loss
    >> of marketplace (which is only because people can't use the groups
    >> properly) and the possible loss of Bob Roberts, I personally do not see
    >> the future of this hobby being good. Also, some collectors have sold
    >> their collection and moved on with their lives. Are we getting too old
    >> for this stuff now? What is the future of this hobby?

  24. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    since when do we care if the hobby dies? I collect for myself.

    jon

    --
    http://www.arcade-classics.com
    "Plisskin" <scorpiokings@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Lately there has not been much going on here on the group. With all
    > the rants and spam ,most off topic, there does not seem like this group
    > and hobby is what it used to be years ago. Now with the possible loss
    > of marketplace (which is only because people can't use the groups
    > properly) and the possible loss of Bob Roberts, I personally do not see
    > the future of this hobby being good. Also, some collectors have sold
    > their collection and moved on with their lives. Are we getting too old
    > for this stuff now? What is the future of this hobby?

  25. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    Its been interesting to watch whats been happening with
    arcade collecting. Jukes took a big hit, and now vids are
    in a slide but pins have gotten very popular and prices
    are crazy. Personally, I'll always have my favorite jukes
    and vids along with pins (the majority, and always has been).
    If I can pick up some rare vids as others dump their collections,
    great.

    Hobbies seem to run in cycles and I'll bet vids will become
    popular again in the future.

    Steve
  26. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    I don't care what all the nay sayers say, certain titles will ALWALY get
    big $$ ( Centipede, Tempest, Ms Pac, etc..) I remember when any turd
    with a board and a monitor fetched $500 but the market adjusted to what
    it should be...shitty for sellers good for buyers.
  27. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    Pinball died with WMS!!
  28. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    As the hobby dies the number sources for parts, technical assistance/repairs
    and quality art reproductions goes down. Look at a lot of the better
    sources for repro artwork and look at where their efforts are - PINBALL.
    Try to get one of them to take on a new Video Game art reproduction and
    they'll tell you it doesn't make good 'business' sense to do it. That
    impacts a lot of collectors who prefer to buy broken down games and restore
    them. Anyone (with money) can simply purchase a nice game, but to me the
    hobby is restoration and if the 'hobby' dies I'll never get Track and Field
    side art, a Joust 2 CPO or a non-flaking tempered glass Joust bezel.

    "Jon eXidy" <evil.exidy@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > since when do we care if the hobby dies? I collect for myself.
    >
    > jon
    >
    > --
    > http://www.arcade-classics.com
    > "Plisskin" <scorpiokings@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >> Lately there has not been much going on here on the group. With all
    >> the rants and spam ,most off topic, there does not seem like this group
    >> and hobby is what it used to be years ago. Now with the possible loss
    >> of marketplace (which is only because people can't use the groups
    >> properly) and the possible loss of Bob Roberts, I personally do not see
    >> the future of this hobby being good. Also, some collectors have sold
    >> their collection and moved on with their lives. Are we getting too old
    >> for this stuff now? What is the future of this hobby?

  29. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    It's all about Pinball now.Video has one foot in the Grave.Im even wanting
    to buy the new Sopranos Pinball that just came out.Pins have much more
    action and since they are making all of the themed one'slike movies and even
    one of the most popular shows like the Sopranos,Harley Davidson.ETC..It
    makes me want to start a collection of nifty pins like those.
    "LarryC" <larry@nospam.hermitcreek.com> wrote in message
    > As the hobby dies the number sources for parts, technical
    > assistance/repairs and quality art reproductions goes down. Look at a lot
    > of the better sources for repro artwork and look at where their efforts
    > are - PINBALL. Try to get one of them to take on a new Video Game art
    > reproduction and they'll tell you it doesn't make good 'business' sense to
    > do it. That impacts a lot of collectors who prefer to buy broken down
    > games and restore them. Anyone (with money) can simply purchase a nice
    > game, but to me the hobby is restoration and if the 'hobby' dies I'll
    > never get Track and Field side art, a Joust 2 CPO or a non-flaking
    > tempered glass Joust bezel.
    >

    > "Jon eXidy" <evil.exidy@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >> since when do we care if the hobby dies? I collect for myself.
    >>
    >> jon
    >>
    >> --
    >> http://www.arcade-classics.com
    >> "Plisskin" <scorpiokings@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >>> Lately there has not been much going on here on the group. With all
    >>> the rants and spam ,most off topic, there does not seem like this group
    >>> and hobby is what it used to be years ago. Now with the possible loss
    >>> of marketplace (which is only because people can't use the groups
    >>> properly) and the possible loss of Bob Roberts, I personally do not see
    >>> the future of this hobby being good. Also, some collectors have sold
    >>> their collection and moved on with their lives. Are we getting too old
    >>> for this stuff now? What is the future of this hobby?

  30. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    Well, everyone just needs to bring their games to Wisconsin. I haven't seen
    a bargain around here yet. In fact I've sold most of my best games in the
    last few weeks because people were just offering too much money. These were
    games that were in my collection and I wanted, but the money was too good to
    pass up. Everyone has been telling me there are just no games on the market
    and they are willing to pay to get just about anything. And if I do want a
    game at a decent price I usually have to drive 5 hours to get it.

    "Troy" <troyl@lvcm.com> wrote in message
    > it's sad to see the value of your games drop to nothing, rare games
    > included.
    > it's great if your buying them. but they are only worth what you are
    > willing
    > to pay anyways anymore, no more.
    > with mame and the multi games what came out, there is not much market
    > anymore for dedicated games. I think guys will keep the games they like
    > and
    > sell off what's left.
    >
    > me personally, I don't even bother picking up games anymore unless it's a
    > game I really want.
    > And I already own or have owned most of those.
    > I went this whole year and only bought 1 game so far, and it was a pin and
    > has since been sold.
    > unlike the old days when I would grab anything and everything.
    > I don't ever see the prices returning to what they once were, however it
    > wont die off completely.
    >

    > Troy,
    >

    > "Plisskin" <scorpiokings@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >> Lately there has not been much going on here on the group. With all
    >> the rants and spam ,most off topic, there does not seem like this group
    >> and hobby is what it used to be years ago. Now with the possible loss
    >> of marketplace (which is only because people can't use the groups
    >> properly) and the possible loss of Bob Roberts, I personally do not see
    >> the future of this hobby being good. Also, some collectors have sold
    >> their collection and moved on with their lives. Are we getting too old
    >> for this stuff now? What is the future of this hobby?

  31. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    Yep thats the new wave - I wish I hadnt dumped the 12 SFii Champs and the 15
    MK1s and 2s I got in a bulk deal 3 years ago - I was practically giving them
    away to clear space

    --
    Art
    "Arcade_Spirit (Chad Entringer)" <arkenstone3@earthlink.net> wrote in
    >I came up with a theory on the new generation of collectors. Coined
    > them the Street Fighter Generation. Collectors of the late 80's early
    > 90's games. A vision to share. So it will boost I beleive. Lots of us
    > (street fighter generation) have more spending bread and are buying up
    > the games we dreamed about as teens.

  32. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    "pinball" is where its at? Mark is a goddamn idiot. i think both the arcade
    and pinball hobbies will continue. However I can see that the pinball
    bubble will pop very soon.

    jon

    --
    http://www.arcade-classics.com
    "Plisskin" <scorpiokings@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Lately there has not been much going on here on the group. With all
    > the rants and spam ,most off topic, there does not seem like this group
    > and hobby is what it used to be years ago. Now with the possible loss
    > of marketplace (which is only because people can't use the groups
    > properly) and the possible loss of Bob Roberts, I personally do not see
    > the future of this hobby being good. Also, some collectors have sold
    > their collection and moved on with their lives. Are we getting too old
    > for this stuff now? What is the future of this hobby?

  33. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    Is this hobby going to die?
    I really dont think its going to die off completely, but rather a
    cleansing back to reality. You will always have true collectors, both
    in video and pinball. What you wont have in the near future in BOTH
    markets are those that are "investing" or those parasites that are "buy
    low - sell high, rip you off with shitty restoration/service/tech".
    Common sense would tell you that there are better ways of investing,
    and if you need a quick buck - get a job.
    As for the parts business and who makes what for who. There are
    major efforts to reproduce pinball parts, but that bubbble is bursting
    right now. Gottlieb protects its rights, so there are limited parts
    made, Williams/Bally which for the last 5 yrs almost didnt care what
    was done/made has since changed their mind when they sold some
    remaining assets off to Wayne (MrPinballAustraila) earlier in the year.
    Which MrPinAus is now with legal action taking on all of the people
    making parts/graphics. Thus parts sources are drying up. We will see
    what happens Oct 12 2005 when all of the cards should be laid upon the
    table. Itellectual Property rights for items both in video and pinball
    that were left to die, should be remade if there is a public that wants
    or need those items. Go Darin! If your products for video are the same
    quality as Pinball, You should be leading the graphic revolution in
    both groups.
    Also for one pinball manufacture, Stern. There is competition
    supposedly with MrPinballAustraila, know known as The Pinball Factory
    (TPF). They only have a limited liscense with the Bally name, thus can
    only produce a "Bally" product with no reference to Williams?
    Also to keep in mind in both markets, The exceptional example, or
    the rare title will retain its value. Speaking from a Pinball point of
    view, When the bubble bursts on that market, your still not going to
    see a MM, or CC under $4500.
    Mac
  34. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    I'm in it for 2 reasons...

    1. My kids, they enjoy the games and enjoy having their friends over to play
    the games
    2. Fixing... This is, for me, where the fun is. There's nothing like
    bringing in a heap and making it nice again.

    Yes, I'll go down stairs a few times a week or so and play some Robotron or
    run a few Indy races, but I, and I'm sure most don't, really do this for the
    games themselves (let's face it... would you have really bought 1/2 the
    games you have if it was just for the *fun*?)

    What your seeing is just e-bay. Pure and simple. It's destroyed the
    "collector" scene. I'm sure it's not just rgvac, but I bet if you trolled
    the coin collection and the card collecting, etc. groups you'll see they're
    probably all down.

    steve

    "Plisskin" <scorpiokings@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Lately there has not been much going on here on the group. With all
    > the rants and spam ,most off topic, there does not seem like this group
    > and hobby is what it used to be years ago. Now with the possible loss
    > of marketplace (which is only because people can't use the groups
    > properly) and the possible loss of Bob Roberts, I personally do not see
    > the future of this hobby being good. Also, some collectors have sold
    > their collection and moved on with their lives. Are we getting too old
    > for this stuff now? What is the future of this hobby?

  35. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    A big part of the "boom" of this hobby was eBay and the internet. You
    had a ton of people come into the hobby at that time that never thought
    about it before. They had money, were at the right age, and suddenly
    had instant access to tons of games via online sources.

    I've collected since 1994, and prior to the internet days were the true
    bargain days. If I'd known then what I know now I would have loaded up
    on all the $250 Galagas and Centipedes I saw at auctions and flea
    markets around here. But ah well.

    Now you are getting to the point where people who truly collect for
    themselves have most if not all of what they want. Others grew tired
    of the hobby and bowed out. But the prices aren't really down....
    they've shifted. Later 80s and early 90s titles are climbing in value.
    Street Fighter II? I get asked about it all the time, and gone are
    the days of finding them at "give away" prices.

    The hobby won't ever die, but it will change, just as the baseball
    cards and the action figures and everything else did. I used to sell
    collectable action figures and it did well until a few years after
    eBay. Those prices slid down about a year before these arcade games
    did. People who could only find those toys regionally once upon a time
    now had eBay, and they used it to get what they wanted, and did... and
    now that they have them, the demand dropped.

    It'll be interesting to see where the hobby goes from here, and if the
    lower prices help me get the last few games I want, so be it. Parts
    and artwork are my main concern, but at the rate people destroy classic
    cabinets for multigames and part outs, I can also see demand rising
    again someday as supply diminishes.
  36. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    The future of this hobby is us. As long as we maintain our websites,
    have shows [videotopia and cal extrem], answer questions and get others
    involved this hobby it will not die.
    Even though the interest hasnt been there like it used to be people
    still are enthused about video games.
    Video games changed everything. They opened people minds
    psychedelically and pushed hardware to new extremes.

    This hobby wont die, it will only evolve.

    Don
    www.arcadeguy.com
  37. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    LOL Art...............
    I always though 50% of Florida was in trailors because of the news
    always showing them getting blown away in Hurricanes.
  38. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    I just thought of something else. If less people go to arcades these
    day's, does that mean less people will be buying games in the future?
    The 80's is the era I like to collect because I went to the arcade's
    everyday and played the games, so did a lot of people. Will the lack of
    arcade business today equal the slow death of future collectors and the
    industry? Who really knows? Let the future collectors worry about
    themselves., For me, I have too many vector games to fix that I need to
    be worrying about. Just enjoy your game collections, that's what I'm
    doing.

    Todd
  39. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    Here are my 2 cents on the topic..some of you may know about my business of
    working on arcade boards and games and I can tell you that I never been
    busier as I have been this year. I had been toying around with the idea of
    hiring a tech and moving into a bigger shop. As it has been pointed out
    that the newsgroup isn't the only place collectors hang out. Most of my
    clients in this area have never logged onto the newsgroups even though they
    know about it.

    Sure the prices have come down on games and I'm sure they will drop more but
    there are always going to some true collectors out there. Lets face it most
    collectors are in there mid 30s to early 40s who grow up with these games
    but I always hear of their kids starting to play these games more and more.
    I have a client of mine who runs a youth center in WI. He has a nice
    collection of arcade games in his center. He buys only classic games from
    me (no violence) that the kids play every day.

    Bob Roberts will be missed if he decides not to reopen, he has helped me out
    many of times in the past and will always be one of my choices for parts but
    he is not the only source of parts out there. Sure he makes it very easy to
    buy all the parts at one location but there isn't any part on his site that
    can't be found on the internet somewhere else.

    This hobby will go through many changes in the coming years and I'm sure it
    will decline as we who grow up with these games age but for now I'm still
    into it 100%.

    Happy gaming,

    Andre

    --
    thanks,
    Andre

    "Plisskin" <scorpiokings@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Lately there has not been much going on here on the group. With all
    > the rants and spam ,most off topic, there does not seem like this group
    > and hobby is what it used to be years ago. Now with the possible loss
    > of marketplace (which is only because people can't use the groups
    > properly) and the possible loss of Bob Roberts, I personally do not see
    > the future of this hobby being good. Also, some collectors have sold
    > their collection and moved on with their lives. Are we getting too old
    > for this stuff now? What is the future of this hobby?

  40. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    Well thats the thing...kids aren't going to recall video games in the future
    like we did in the 80's. Yes, PS2's will sell well in 20 years. No, 18
    Wheeler American Pro Trucker will not. Low arcade, more home, equals more
    nastalgia in the future for home games versus arcades.

    tim (NH)

    "Studiobassist" <studiobassist@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >I just thought of something else. If less people go to arcades these
    > day's, does that mean less people will be buying games in the future?
    > The 80's is the era I like to collect because I went to the arcade's
    > everyday and played the games, so did a lot of people. Will the lack of
    > arcade business today equal the slow death of future collectors and the
    > industry? Who really knows? Let the future collectors worry about
    > themselves., For me, I have too many vector games to fix that I need to
    > be worrying about. Just enjoy your game collections, that's what I'm
    > doing.
    >
    > Todd

  41. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    no. no. no... that's in OHIO where the TORNADO'S hit!

    "arcadeguy" <arcadeguy@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > LOL Art...............
    > I always though 50% of Florida was in trailors because of the news
    > always showing them getting blown away in Hurricanes.

  42. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    well.. of course we all had to pick the the friggin biggest, most unwieldly
    hobby there is... hell even car collecting is easier (at least they can get
    *themselves* where you want to go). It's a lot easier to collect something
    that you can hang on your wall rather then something you need several
    thousand square feet for.

    steve

    > The future of this hobby is us. As long as we maintain our websites,
    > have shows [videotopia and cal extrem], answer questions and get others
    > involved this hobby it will not die.
    > Even though the interest hasnt been there like it used to be people
    > still are enthused about video games.
    > Video games changed everything. They opened people minds
    > psychedelically and pushed hardware to new extremes.
    >
    > This hobby wont die, it will only evolve.
    >
    > Don
    > www.arcadeguy.com

  43. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    Pins can't be emulated and that is one reason for the steady decay / decline
    of arcade collecting vs pins. Put the whole arcade in one *Mame* cabinet
    and wala! You don't need a huge room and you won't get tired of the
    selection. Plus - many original games are over 20+ years old and less and
    less people know how to work on them. I used to have 10+ vids back in high
    school. Now I have two linked race games a Reunion Ms Pac / Galaga and a
    720 oh and 10 pins.

    If Mame didn't come along, the video markey wouldn't be as far down the
    toilet as it currently is.

    Andy

    > It's all about Pinball now.Video has one foot in the Grave.Im even wanting
    > to buy the new Sopranos Pinball that just came out.Pins have much more
    > action and since they are making all of the themed one'slike movies and
    > even one of the most popular shows like the Sopranos,Harley
    > Davidson.ETC..It makes me want to start a collection of nifty pins like
    > those.
    > "LarryC" <larry@nospam.hermitcreek.com> wrote in message
    >> As the hobby dies the number sources for parts, technical
    >> assistance/repairs and quality art reproductions goes down. Look at a
    >> lot of the better sources for repro artwork and look at where their
    >> efforts are - PINBALL. Try to get one of them to take on a new Video Game
    >> art reproduction and they'll tell you it doesn't make good 'business'
    >> sense to do it. That impacts a lot of collectors who prefer to buy
    >> broken down games and restore them. Anyone (with money) can simply
    >> purchase a nice game, but to me the hobby is restoration and if the
    >> 'hobby' dies I'll never get Track and Field side art, a Joust 2 CPO or a
    >> non-flaking tempered glass Joust bezel.
    >>

    >> "Jon eXidy" <evil.exidy@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >>> since when do we care if the hobby dies? I collect for myself.
    >>>
    >>> jon
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> http://www.arcade-classics.com
    >>> "Plisskin" <scorpiokings@yahoo.com> wrote in message

  44. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    It used to be 50% now it's down to 41%.

    Sorry, bad joke but oh well!!!

    "arcadeguy" <arcadeguy@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > LOL Art...............
    > I always though 50% of Florida was in trailors because of the news
    > always showing them getting blown away in Hurricanes.

  45. Archived from groups: rec.games.video.arcade.collecting (More info?)

    Good points Mac. There are those in this hobby purely for monetary
    reasons (see shitted out MsPacs on ebay with opening bids of $750 WTF??
    ) and those who really love the games. Im sick of seeing "reserve not
    met" or auctions ending with ZERO bids because the opening was $1200.
    WTF??. Put your game up for auction and what you get is what it's
    worth. If you think it's worth more, hold on to it like a stubborn SOB
    and have yourself burried in it when you die. HA!! an Asteroids coffin,
    imagine that. Or a PacMan Marquee as a tombstone, HA!!
    But there are exceptions in this hobby. Anthony from Quarterarcade
    truly turns out great pieces. NEW monitors and excellent cabinet work,
    plus a WARRANTY. Iv'e seen his shop, bought project games from him, and
    chit chatted whenever at an auction or expo. He really loves this
    hobby. I wouldnt classify him as a dealer, no, he is a restorer. His
    games are worth every dollar.
    Fools will be weeded out in the next few years (if not months) and
    the true gamers will prevail.

    Drew@Bunkercade

Video Games Product