Is this Hobby going to Die??

Last response: in Video Games
September 16, 2005 8:57:41 PM

Lately there has not been much going on here on the group. With all
the rants and spam ,most off topic, there does not seem like this group
and hobby is what it used to be years ago. Now with the possible loss
of marketplace (which is only because people can't use the groups
properly) and the possible loss of Bob Roberts, I personally do not see
the future of this hobby being good. Also, some collectors have sold
their collection and moved on with their lives. Are we getting too old
for this stuff now? What is the future of this hobby?

More about : hobby die

Anonymous
September 16, 2005 9:33:20 PM

Granted prices are about 50% of what they were 5 years ago and the
hobby is on a downturn.

This hobby is bigger than this newsgroup or RGVAM or any one supplier
of parts. Go to an auction and there are still tons of people
attending.

You have to ask yourself are you in this hobby for yourself or "because
everybody else is doing it".

I for one collect what I like and like where the prices are going which
is down.

I don't think the hobby will completely die, but maybe become something
obscure like jukebox collecting, or antique collecting, but it won't be
for a long while.

L.
Anonymous
September 16, 2005 9:35:09 PM

you must be relatively new here? which i didnt think

but going back (late 90's) when collecting was at an all time high in
terms of demand and value, there has always been fighting, spam, rants,
off topic stuff etc... and its on almost all newsgroups not just here

this topic has been covered before and not too long ago. basically most
hard core collectors have their collections now. sure every now and
then we rotate a few pieces in and out here and there. but we're mostly
set. we are still passionate about arcades.

the hobby is still going strong imo. perhaps the posts and traffic are
down in this newsgroup, but i associate with a lot of people in here
privately on the phone and email.

bob roberts was one of a kind, im not writing him off yet. but if hes
gone someone will replace him. he didnt do this for free. where theres
money to be made the needs will be met i assure you.
September 16, 2005 9:51:13 PM

Well, I have been reading this group since '97 or early '98 and the way
this group was then was way much better than now. It just seems like
most of the topics now are not as useful as they were back then. Maybe
I've just read them all and now anything new has been done over and
over again?
Anonymous
September 16, 2005 10:21:21 PM

I have been collecting games since 1979.When I was 13 I would sweep the
floor and clean games for a small gameroom 3 blocks from my house and
he would give me broken or unwanted games and I would fix them up I
bought My first game at 9 and I always have had at least 3 games in my
house or apartment or in storage. I now have my own house and the
basement is my gameroom I doubt that I will ever give it up. There will
always be people that get into things and get bored and move on. It
happens with every hobby, Me I am in for life
Rob
Plisskin wrote:
> Lately there has not been much going on here on the group. With all
> the rants and spam ,most off topic, there does not seem like this group
> and hobby is what it used to be years ago. Now with the possible loss
> of marketplace (which is only because people can't use the groups
> properly) and the possible loss of Bob Roberts, I personally do not see
> the future of this hobby being good. Also, some collectors have sold
> their collection and moved on with their lives. Are we getting too old
> for this stuff now? What is the future of this hobby?
Anonymous
September 16, 2005 10:37:07 PM

There were some pins and vids at Http://www.pennyarcadeexpo.com

They got alot of play. I loved playing gorf on freeplay. Anyhow. yes.
Some of the classics will never go away. I see they have a ms-pac at my
community college. These icons won't go away. Namco still keeps
re-iterating pacman as well. Heck pacman vs. makes me want to get a
game cube just for it. prices getting depressed isn't an issue. Let it
happen.

Theres been some new blood in my generation. Don't expect this type of
thing to die so easily.
September 16, 2005 11:22:06 PM

it's sad to see the value of your games drop to nothing, rare games
included.
it's great if your buying them. but they are only worth what you are willing
to pay anyways anymore, no more.
with mame and the multi games what came out, there is not much market
anymore for dedicated games. I think guys will keep the games they like and
sell off what's left.

me personally, I don't even bother picking up games anymore unless it's a
game I really want.
And I already own or have owned most of those.
I went this whole year and only bought 1 game so far, and it was a pin and
has since been sold.
unlike the old days when I would grab anything and everything.
I don't ever see the prices returning to what they once were, however it
wont die off completely.

Troy,

"Plisskin" <scorpiokings@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Lately there has not been much going on here on the group. With all
> the rants and spam ,most off topic, there does not seem like this group
> and hobby is what it used to be years ago. Now with the possible loss
> of marketplace (which is only because people can't use the groups
> properly) and the possible loss of Bob Roberts, I personally do not see
> the future of this hobby being good. Also, some collectors have sold
> their collection and moved on with their lives. Are we getting too old
> for this stuff now? What is the future of this hobby?

Anonymous
September 16, 2005 11:36:42 PM

It started last year may 2004 for me. The fever caught on right away.
It hit home instantly. I now have over 30 boards, 6 cabinets in the
house, and working for video doctors full time. Talk about a Quick
transition. This is it; the path won't be changing for me. I'm a
lifer with a passionate craze. And all in just over a year! Now 2 of my
buddies are exploring it. 1 just picked up his first cab. The business
side of it drives me mad. There is some real scum in the industry.
It's a double edged sword doing this for a living and for the love of
the hobby at the same time. Conflicts with pricing, what they charge
customers for my repair job ect. I understand that the repair
industry, distribution, and operating is ones bread and butter. It's
still not an excuse to be a greedy villain. At any rate, I do
everything I do in business and hobby to feed the fever! This is a
wonderful haven for support and being part of this wonderous culture.
Anonymous
September 16, 2005 11:49:12 PM

I came up with a theory on the new generation of collectors. Coined
them the Street Fighter Generation. Collectors of the late 80's early
90's games. A vision to share. So it will boost I beleive. Lots of us
(street fighter generation) have more spending bread and are buying up
the games we dreamed about as teens.
Anonymous
September 16, 2005 11:56:39 PM

Im in Wis larry, add me to your list..
Anonymous
September 16, 2005 11:59:38 PM

yes it will. If the peak was 100%, I'd say we are at 50% now. I think we
will bottom near 15-20%. In terms of number of collectors, value of games,
etc.

"Plisskin" <scorpiokings@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Lately there has not been much going on here on the group. With all
> the rants and spam ,most off topic, there does not seem like this group
> and hobby is what it used to be years ago. Now with the possible loss
> of marketplace (which is only because people can't use the groups
> properly) and the possible loss of Bob Roberts, I personally do not see
> the future of this hobby being good. Also, some collectors have sold
> their collection and moved on with their lives. Are we getting too old
> for this stuff now? What is the future of this hobby?

Anonymous
September 17, 2005 12:01:39 AM

Im still in need to 2 sf gen carts.. does anyone out there repair
these!. got 2 dead carts. ackkk!.
September 17, 2005 12:37:09 AM

I don't think it will die, but I can't believe what it was like 6 years ago
versus today. Now is a great time to collect in terms of $. There are
those will get out of it, and those who will get the fever, and those who
will sustain. If more people get out of it, then good for me. I'm not on
the business side of it.

tim (NH)

"Chuk" <chuk@ourcade.com> wrote in message
> yes it will. If the peak was 100%, I'd say we are at 50% now. I think we
> will bottom near 15-20%. In terms of number of collectors, value of
> games, etc.
>
> "Plisskin" <scorpiokings@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> Lately there has not been much going on here on the group. With all
>> the rants and spam ,most off topic, there does not seem like this group
>> and hobby is what it used to be years ago. Now with the possible loss
>> of marketplace (which is only because people can't use the groups
>> properly) and the possible loss of Bob Roberts, I personally do not see
>> the future of this hobby being good. Also, some collectors have sold
>> their collection and moved on with their lives. Are we getting too old
>> for this stuff now? What is the future of this hobby?

Anonymous
September 17, 2005 12:40:13 AM

I hope it's going nowhere so I can get my new basement filled. I picked
up the rare ones I wanted (Satan's Hollow, Tutankham, Starship One,
Gravitar)and will never sell plus some popular ones as well (Tempest,
Tron, Battlezone, Zaxxon, Space Invaders, Dig dug). When someone says
lets get together for the badger Game my house is always volunteered.

Just the best part of being single, successful and a geek. This hobby
will always be here for me.

When I can get the Asteroids for 50, the centipede and millipede for
50, the missile command, omega race and star wars for 50. I'll be in
heaven so die hobby, die.

I'm in Wisconsin as well.
Anonymous
September 17, 2005 12:47:30 AM

Pins are great no doubt... one thing scares me though... Stern... can
anyone name another company that still produces pins? Im not a pin nut,
serious and curious question. to my knowledge there isnt anyone else.
Anonymous
September 17, 2005 1:14:11 AM

No other company at this time is mass producing pinballs, besides Stern.
There is a lot of talk about potentially other players, but at this point is
is ONLY Stern.

Regards,
Dan
Anonymous
September 17, 2005 1:22:18 AM

Really who cares if the profiteers and posers leave? There are some
advantages to having these people around, but mostly, for people like
myself they are/were a drag, a drain, a parasite on the hobby.

I've been collecting for nearly 7 years. I've never found a hobby like
this. I remember pining after games like Berzerk and Defender in 1980.
Games like Dragons Lair in 1983. I left arcade games behind me around
1984. In fact from 84-98 the only games I remember were Ghosts n
Goblins. Ghouls N Ghosts, After burner, Rastan, Virtual Fighter and
Daytona USA.

My current collection consists of 10 high end pins(MM, AFM, LOTR etc..)
and 15 or so classic 80's vids. At this point in my collecting career,
I aquire one or two games a year. Do I complain if I pay 2 or 3 hundred
for a classic video game instead of 5 to 8 hundred? Nope, some how I
will survive this terrible burden.

So for those who leave the hobby, don't let the door hit you in the ass
on the way out. More for the rest of us who have arcade games in the
blood. I only feel sorry for future generations who will never
appreciate why these examples of obsolete technology in colorful boxes
were so important.
Anonymous
September 17, 2005 1:22:28 AM

[...]

September 17, 2005 1:38:29 AM

Oh and your a professional statistician now.???
"Chuk" <chuk@ourcade.com> wrote in message
> yes it will. If the peak was 100%, I'd say we are at 50% now. I think we
> will bottom near 15-20%. In terms of number of collectors, value of
> games, etc.
>
> "Plisskin" <scorpiokings@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> Lately there has not been much going on here on the group. With all
>> the rants and spam ,most off topic, there does not seem like this group
>> and hobby is what it used to be years ago. Now with the possible loss
>> of marketplace (which is only because people can't use the groups
>> properly) and the possible loss of Bob Roberts, I personally do not see
>> the future of this hobby being good. Also, some collectors have sold
>> their collection and moved on with their lives. Are we getting too old
>> for this stuff now? What is the future of this hobby?

Anonymous
September 17, 2005 1:50:46 AM

Yes, make that 17.4 to 19.2%

"MARK" <MARKLINE@OPTONLINE.NET> wrote in message
> Oh and your a professional statistician now.???
> "Chuk" <chuk@ourcade.com> wrote in message
>> yes it will. If the peak was 100%, I'd say we are at 50% now. I think
>> we will bottom near 15-20%. In terms of number of collectors, value of
>> games, etc.
>>
>> "Plisskin" <scorpiokings@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>> Lately there has not been much going on here on the group. With all
>>> the rants and spam ,most off topic, there does not seem like this group
>>> and hobby is what it used to be years ago. Now with the possible loss
>>> of marketplace (which is only because people can't use the groups
>>> properly) and the possible loss of Bob Roberts, I personally do not see
>>> the future of this hobby being good. Also, some collectors have sold
>>> their collection and moved on with their lives. Are we getting too old
>>> for this stuff now? What is the future of this hobby?

September 17, 2005 1:52:17 AM

I know that nobody here will admit it.But it's exactly as i predicted 2
years ago on here.I told everyone to sell then while your games are still
worth anything.Just do a google search from back then.I said exactly this
was happening.This hobby/business is almost a thing of the past.Sure there
will always be some people who will always love and collect games.But it
like Baseball cards.Many years ago before everyone was collecting trading
and so on.Whoever got in on the ground floor cleaned up.Same with ebay.The
people who were doing ebay when it first started used to get 10 times the
price they get for stuff now.It's like anything else.It's ran it's course
and now the party is over and lets all go home until the next awesome thing
becomes a hit.And then watch it fizzle out just like the game world.I
enjoyed the ride and bought and sold 3 houses,Took many vacations,bought
many items made of gold from this business.But now i can eat at Micky Dees
with the money it generates.See you all at the next great Phase that comes
along.HAPPY TRAILS TOOOO YOOOO.DOO DOODOODOOOO,HAPPY TRAILS TO YA MAMA.DOOT
DO DOODY DOOOOOOOOO.:)  HhahahahahahahaMade myself laugh.:) )).Also the hit of
acid i just dropped might have had something to do with it
too.:) ))):) )):) ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
"Plisskin" <scorpiokings@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Lately there has not been much going on here on the group. With all
> the rants and spam ,most off topic, there does not seem like this group
> and hobby is what it used to be years ago. Now with the possible loss
> of marketplace (which is only because people can't use the groups
> properly) and the possible loss of Bob Roberts, I personally do not see
> the future of this hobby being good. Also, some collectors have sold
> their collection and moved on with their lives. Are we getting too old
> for this stuff now? What is the future of this hobby?

September 17, 2005 2:53:01 AM

Ok i can accept that.:)
> Yes, make that 17.4 to 19.2%
>
> "MARK" <MARKLINE@OPTONLINE.NET> wrote in message
>> Oh and your a professional statistician now.???
>> "Chuk" <chuk@ourcade.com> wrote in message
>>> yes it will. If the peak was 100%, I'd say we are at 50% now. I think
>>> we will bottom near 15-20%. In terms of number of collectors, value of
>>> games, etc.
>>>
>>> "Plisskin" <scorpiokings@yahoo.com> wrote in message

September 17, 2005 3:11:01 AM

This hobby is going nowhere. For those truly in it for the hobby and not
the money it's more exciting now than ever as you can finally get that rare
game or oddball title for a decent price. This IS a hobby, not a
business.. hobbies ebb and flow.. prices go up and then back down but the
true hobbiests will always be there. Those that walk through their
gamerooms and look at their collections only to see dollar signs will be
gone soon and the prices will get back to what they were in the early days
of collecting. The only difference between then and now is that the
majority of the warehouses have been found, the rare stuff's been located.
The silly prices of the late 90's were a blip and good while they lasted and
helped many people build their collections, but just like Beanie Babies the
bubble eventually burst and reality came back into the picture. Just
because things are not selling for stupid amounts of money don't equate that
to a hobby dying. If you want to collect do it for yourself and the
enjoyment of the hobby, if you want to invest in something talk to a bank.

/b

http://www.rgvac.com
"Plisskin" <scorpiokings@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Lately there has not been much going on here on the group. With all
> the rants and spam ,most off topic, there does not seem like this group
> and hobby is what it used to be years ago. Now with the possible loss
> of marketplace (which is only because people can't use the groups
> properly) and the possible loss of Bob Roberts, I personally do not see
> the future of this hobby being good. Also, some collectors have sold
> their collection and moved on with their lives. Are we getting too old
> for this stuff now? What is the future of this hobby?

Anonymous
September 17, 2005 3:52:57 AM

Hobbies rarely die. There are still tons of people out there with their
baseball cards, matchbox cars and beenie babies. There will still be people
collecting/selling/trading video games for many years to come. I work part
time for an operator who sells plenty of stuff to homebuyers. He has to
have the largest showroom on the East Coast if not in the country. The
summers are slow but as Xmas closes in, it really starts to pick up. Of
course he's located in Fairfield County, Connecticut which has alot of money
floating around in it too.

I used to sell alot of games, probably close to 200 over the past 4 or 5
years, but I've cut way back and am working on my collection slowly instead.
I got tired of not having a garage and bought a new car recently so I scaled
back to having the car and two or three games in the garage instead of 12 or
13 projects in there at any given time. At one point I had about 25 games
in my garage and would have to pull 4 out just to get into the garage.

I think the multigames and mame also reduce the demand for the classics
because it's so much easier to have one machine that plays 9 or 39 or 3000
games. Not everyone has a game room or basement to keep these in. If you
live in an apartment I would think a multigame or Mame machine would be
ideal. I also think that the people who grew up in arcades, much like
myself, are starting to get to the age where their young ones are taking up
much more time and they find themselves with alot less time to toy with
hobbies. Driving here and there, soccer games, baseball games, school
stuff.. it all adds up.

Some interesting reading in the group these past couple of weeks.

just my 2¢

Scott

"prOk" <bsonej@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> This hobby is going nowhere. For those truly in it for the hobby and not
> the money it's more exciting now than ever as you can finally get that
> rare game or oddball title for a decent price. This IS a hobby, not a
> business.. hobbies ebb and flow.. prices go up and then back down but the
> true hobbiests will always be there. Those that walk through their
> gamerooms and look at their collections only to see dollar signs will be
> gone soon and the prices will get back to what they were in the early days
> of collecting. The only difference between then and now is that the
> majority of the warehouses have been found, the rare stuff's been located.
> The silly prices of the late 90's were a blip and good while they lasted
> and helped many people build their collections, but just like Beanie
> Babies the bubble eventually burst and reality came back into the picture.
> Just because things are not selling for stupid amounts of money don't
> equate that to a hobby dying. If you want to collect do it for yourself
> and the enjoyment of the hobby, if you want to invest in something talk to
> a bank.
>
> /b
>
> http://www.rgvac.com
> "Plisskin" <scorpiokings@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> Lately there has not been much going on here on the group. With all
>> the rants and spam ,most off topic, there does not seem like this group
>> and hobby is what it used to be years ago. Now with the possible loss
>> of marketplace (which is only because people can't use the groups
>> properly) and the possible loss of Bob Roberts, I personally do not see
>> the future of this hobby being good. Also, some collectors have sold
>> their collection and moved on with their lives. Are we getting too old
>> for this stuff now? What is the future of this hobby?

Anonymous
September 17, 2005 5:07:45 AM

since when do we care if the hobby dies? I collect for myself.

jon

--
http://www.arcade-classics.com
"Plisskin" <scorpiokings@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Lately there has not been much going on here on the group. With all
> the rants and spam ,most off topic, there does not seem like this group
> and hobby is what it used to be years ago. Now with the possible loss
> of marketplace (which is only because people can't use the groups
> properly) and the possible loss of Bob Roberts, I personally do not see
> the future of this hobby being good. Also, some collectors have sold
> their collection and moved on with their lives. Are we getting too old
> for this stuff now? What is the future of this hobby?

September 17, 2005 5:24:22 AM

Its been interesting to watch whats been happening with
arcade collecting. Jukes took a big hit, and now vids are
in a slide but pins have gotten very popular and prices
are crazy. Personally, I'll always have my favorite jukes
and vids along with pins (the majority, and always has been).
If I can pick up some rare vids as others dump their collections,
great.

Hobbies seem to run in cycles and I'll bet vids will become
popular again in the future.

Steve
Anonymous
September 17, 2005 5:46:57 AM

I don't care what all the nay sayers say, certain titles will ALWALY get
big $$ ( Centipede, Tempest, Ms Pac, etc..) I remember when any turd
with a board and a monitor fetched $500 but the market adjusted to what
it should be...shitty for sellers good for buyers.
Anonymous
September 17, 2005 5:53:05 AM

Pinball died with WMS!!
September 17, 2005 6:47:56 AM

As the hobby dies the number sources for parts, technical assistance/repairs
and quality art reproductions goes down. Look at a lot of the better
sources for repro artwork and look at where their efforts are - PINBALL.
Try to get one of them to take on a new Video Game art reproduction and
they'll tell you it doesn't make good 'business' sense to do it. That
impacts a lot of collectors who prefer to buy broken down games and restore
them. Anyone (with money) can simply purchase a nice game, but to me the
hobby is restoration and if the 'hobby' dies I'll never get Track and Field
side art, a Joust 2 CPO or a non-flaking tempered glass Joust bezel.

"Jon eXidy" <evil.exidy@gmail.com> wrote in message
> since when do we care if the hobby dies? I collect for myself.
>
> jon
>
> --
> http://www.arcade-classics.com
> "Plisskin" <scorpiokings@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> Lately there has not been much going on here on the group. With all
>> the rants and spam ,most off topic, there does not seem like this group
>> and hobby is what it used to be years ago. Now with the possible loss
>> of marketplace (which is only because people can't use the groups
>> properly) and the possible loss of Bob Roberts, I personally do not see
>> the future of this hobby being good. Also, some collectors have sold
>> their collection and moved on with their lives. Are we getting too old
>> for this stuff now? What is the future of this hobby?

September 17, 2005 6:47:57 AM

It's all about Pinball now.Video has one foot in the Grave.Im even wanting
to buy the new Sopranos Pinball that just came out.Pins have much more
action and since they are making all of the themed one'slike movies and even
one of the most popular shows like the Sopranos,Harley Davidson.ETC..It
makes me want to start a collection of nifty pins like those.
"LarryC" <larry@nospam.hermitcreek.com> wrote in message
> As the hobby dies the number sources for parts, technical
> assistance/repairs and quality art reproductions goes down. Look at a lot
> of the better sources for repro artwork and look at where their efforts
> are - PINBALL. Try to get one of them to take on a new Video Game art
> reproduction and they'll tell you it doesn't make good 'business' sense to
> do it. That impacts a lot of collectors who prefer to buy broken down
> games and restore them. Anyone (with money) can simply purchase a nice
> game, but to me the hobby is restoration and if the 'hobby' dies I'll
> never get Track and Field side art, a Joust 2 CPO or a non-flaking
> tempered glass Joust bezel.
>

> "Jon eXidy" <evil.exidy@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> since when do we care if the hobby dies? I collect for myself.
>>
>> jon
>>
>> --
>> http://www.arcade-classics.com
>> "Plisskin" <scorpiokings@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>> Lately there has not been much going on here on the group. With all
>>> the rants and spam ,most off topic, there does not seem like this group
>>> and hobby is what it used to be years ago. Now with the possible loss
>>> of marketplace (which is only because people can't use the groups
>>> properly) and the possible loss of Bob Roberts, I personally do not see
>>> the future of this hobby being good. Also, some collectors have sold
>>> their collection and moved on with their lives. Are we getting too old
>>> for this stuff now? What is the future of this hobby?

September 17, 2005 6:54:23 AM

Well, everyone just needs to bring their games to Wisconsin. I haven't seen
a bargain around here yet. In fact I've sold most of my best games in the
last few weeks because people were just offering too much money. These were
games that were in my collection and I wanted, but the money was too good to
pass up. Everyone has been telling me there are just no games on the market
and they are willing to pay to get just about anything. And if I do want a
game at a decent price I usually have to drive 5 hours to get it.

"Troy" <troyl@lvcm.com> wrote in message
> it's sad to see the value of your games drop to nothing, rare games
> included.
> it's great if your buying them. but they are only worth what you are
> willing
> to pay anyways anymore, no more.
> with mame and the multi games what came out, there is not much market
> anymore for dedicated games. I think guys will keep the games they like
> and
> sell off what's left.
>
> me personally, I don't even bother picking up games anymore unless it's a
> game I really want.
> And I already own or have owned most of those.
> I went this whole year and only bought 1 game so far, and it was a pin and
> has since been sold.
> unlike the old days when I would grab anything and everything.
> I don't ever see the prices returning to what they once were, however it
> wont die off completely.
>

> Troy,
>

> "Plisskin" <scorpiokings@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> Lately there has not been much going on here on the group. With all
>> the rants and spam ,most off topic, there does not seem like this group
>> and hobby is what it used to be years ago. Now with the possible loss
>> of marketplace (which is only because people can't use the groups
>> properly) and the possible loss of Bob Roberts, I personally do not see
>> the future of this hobby being good. Also, some collectors have sold
>> their collection and moved on with their lives. Are we getting too old
>> for this stuff now? What is the future of this hobby?

Anonymous
September 17, 2005 6:57:32 AM

Yep thats the new wave - I wish I hadnt dumped the 12 SFii Champs and the 15
MK1s and 2s I got in a bulk deal 3 years ago - I was practically giving them
away to clear space

--
Art
"Arcade_Spirit (Chad Entringer)" <arkenstone3@earthlink.net> wrote in
>I came up with a theory on the new generation of collectors. Coined
> them the Street Fighter Generation. Collectors of the late 80's early
> 90's games. A vision to share. So it will boost I beleive. Lots of us
> (street fighter generation) have more spending bread and are buying up
> the games we dreamed about as teens.

Anonymous
September 17, 2005 8:25:41 AM

"pinball" is where its at? Mark is a goddamn idiot. i think both the arcade
and pinball hobbies will continue. However I can see that the pinball
bubble will pop very soon.

jon

--
http://www.arcade-classics.com
"Plisskin" <scorpiokings@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Lately there has not been much going on here on the group. With all
> the rants and spam ,most off topic, there does not seem like this group
> and hobby is what it used to be years ago. Now with the possible loss
> of marketplace (which is only because people can't use the groups
> properly) and the possible loss of Bob Roberts, I personally do not see
> the future of this hobby being good. Also, some collectors have sold
> their collection and moved on with their lives. Are we getting too old
> for this stuff now? What is the future of this hobby?

September 17, 2005 8:44:15 AM

Is this hobby going to die?
I really dont think its going to die off completely, but rather a
cleansing back to reality. You will always have true collectors, both
in video and pinball. What you wont have in the near future in BOTH
markets are those that are "investing" or those parasites that are "buy
low - sell high, rip you off with shitty restoration/service/tech".
Common sense would tell you that there are better ways of investing,
and if you need a quick buck - get a job.
As for the parts business and who makes what for who. There are
major efforts to reproduce pinball parts, but that bubbble is bursting
right now. Gottlieb protects its rights, so there are limited parts
made, Williams/Bally which for the last 5 yrs almost didnt care what
was done/made has since changed their mind when they sold some
remaining assets off to Wayne (MrPinballAustraila) earlier in the year.
Which MrPinAus is now with legal action taking on all of the people
making parts/graphics. Thus parts sources are drying up. We will see
what happens Oct 12 2005 when all of the cards should be laid upon the
table. Itellectual Property rights for items both in video and pinball
that were left to die, should be remade if there is a public that wants
or need those items. Go Darin! If your products for video are the same
quality as Pinball, You should be leading the graphic revolution in
both groups.
Also for one pinball manufacture, Stern. There is competition
supposedly with MrPinballAustraila, know known as The Pinball Factory
(TPF). They only have a limited liscense with the Bally name, thus can
only produce a "Bally" product with no reference to Williams?
Also to keep in mind in both markets, The exceptional example, or
the rare title will retain its value. Speaking from a Pinball point of
view, When the bubble bursts on that market, your still not going to
see a MM, or CC under $4500.
Mac
Anonymous
September 17, 2005 8:52:18 AM

I'm in it for 2 reasons...

1. My kids, they enjoy the games and enjoy having their friends over to play
the games
2. Fixing... This is, for me, where the fun is. There's nothing like
bringing in a heap and making it nice again.

Yes, I'll go down stairs a few times a week or so and play some Robotron or
run a few Indy races, but I, and I'm sure most don't, really do this for the
games themselves (let's face it... would you have really bought 1/2 the
games you have if it was just for the *fun*?)

What your seeing is just e-bay. Pure and simple. It's destroyed the
"collector" scene. I'm sure it's not just rgvac, but I bet if you trolled
the coin collection and the card collecting, etc. groups you'll see they're
probably all down.

steve

"Plisskin" <scorpiokings@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Lately there has not been much going on here on the group. With all
> the rants and spam ,most off topic, there does not seem like this group
> and hobby is what it used to be years ago. Now with the possible loss
> of marketplace (which is only because people can't use the groups
> properly) and the possible loss of Bob Roberts, I personally do not see
> the future of this hobby being good. Also, some collectors have sold
> their collection and moved on with their lives. Are we getting too old
> for this stuff now? What is the future of this hobby?

September 17, 2005 10:41:21 AM

A big part of the "boom" of this hobby was eBay and the internet. You
had a ton of people come into the hobby at that time that never thought
about it before. They had money, were at the right age, and suddenly
had instant access to tons of games via online sources.

I've collected since 1994, and prior to the internet days were the true
bargain days. If I'd known then what I know now I would have loaded up
on all the $250 Galagas and Centipedes I saw at auctions and flea
markets around here. But ah well.

Now you are getting to the point where people who truly collect for
themselves have most if not all of what they want. Others grew tired
of the hobby and bowed out. But the prices aren't really down....
they've shifted. Later 80s and early 90s titles are climbing in value.
Street Fighter II? I get asked about it all the time, and gone are
the days of finding them at "give away" prices.

The hobby won't ever die, but it will change, just as the baseball
cards and the action figures and everything else did. I used to sell
collectable action figures and it did well until a few years after
eBay. Those prices slid down about a year before these arcade games
did. People who could only find those toys regionally once upon a time
now had eBay, and they used it to get what they wanted, and did... and
now that they have them, the demand dropped.

It'll be interesting to see where the hobby goes from here, and if the
lower prices help me get the last few games I want, so be it. Parts
and artwork are my main concern, but at the rate people destroy classic
cabinets for multigames and part outs, I can also see demand rising
again someday as supply diminishes.
Anonymous
September 17, 2005 3:15:05 PM

The future of this hobby is us. As long as we maintain our websites,
have shows [videotopia and cal extrem], answer questions and get others
involved this hobby it will not die.
Even though the interest hasnt been there like it used to be people
still are enthused about video games.
Video games changed everything. They opened people minds
psychedelically and pushed hardware to new extremes.

This hobby wont die, it will only evolve.

Don
www.arcadeguy.com
Anonymous
September 17, 2005 3:27:29 PM

LOL Art...............
I always though 50% of Florida was in trailors because of the news
always showing them getting blown away in Hurricanes.
Anonymous
September 17, 2005 3:35:25 PM

I just thought of something else. If less people go to arcades these
day's, does that mean less people will be buying games in the future?
The 80's is the era I like to collect because I went to the arcade's
everyday and played the games, so did a lot of people. Will the lack of
arcade business today equal the slow death of future collectors and the
industry? Who really knows? Let the future collectors worry about
themselves., For me, I have too many vector games to fix that I need to
be worrying about. Just enjoy your game collections, that's what I'm
doing.

Todd
September 17, 2005 7:28:11 PM

Here are my 2 cents on the topic..some of you may know about my business of
working on arcade boards and games and I can tell you that I never been
busier as I have been this year. I had been toying around with the idea of
hiring a tech and moving into a bigger shop. As it has been pointed out
that the newsgroup isn't the only place collectors hang out. Most of my
clients in this area have never logged onto the newsgroups even though they
know about it.

Sure the prices have come down on games and I'm sure they will drop more but
there are always going to some true collectors out there. Lets face it most
collectors are in there mid 30s to early 40s who grow up with these games
but I always hear of their kids starting to play these games more and more.
I have a client of mine who runs a youth center in WI. He has a nice
collection of arcade games in his center. He buys only classic games from
me (no violence) that the kids play every day.

Bob Roberts will be missed if he decides not to reopen, he has helped me out
many of times in the past and will always be one of my choices for parts but
he is not the only source of parts out there. Sure he makes it very easy to
buy all the parts at one location but there isn't any part on his site that
can't be found on the internet somewhere else.

This hobby will go through many changes in the coming years and I'm sure it
will decline as we who grow up with these games age but for now I'm still
into it 100%.

Happy gaming,

Andre

--
thanks,
Andre

"Plisskin" <scorpiokings@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Lately there has not been much going on here on the group. With all
> the rants and spam ,most off topic, there does not seem like this group
> and hobby is what it used to be years ago. Now with the possible loss
> of marketplace (which is only because people can't use the groups
> properly) and the possible loss of Bob Roberts, I personally do not see
> the future of this hobby being good. Also, some collectors have sold
> their collection and moved on with their lives. Are we getting too old
> for this stuff now? What is the future of this hobby?

September 17, 2005 10:10:25 PM

Well thats the thing...kids aren't going to recall video games in the future
like we did in the 80's. Yes, PS2's will sell well in 20 years. No, 18
Wheeler American Pro Trucker will not. Low arcade, more home, equals more
nastalgia in the future for home games versus arcades.

tim (NH)

"Studiobassist" <studiobassist@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I just thought of something else. If less people go to arcades these
> day's, does that mean less people will be buying games in the future?
> The 80's is the era I like to collect because I went to the arcade's
> everyday and played the games, so did a lot of people. Will the lack of
> arcade business today equal the slow death of future collectors and the
> industry? Who really knows? Let the future collectors worry about
> themselves., For me, I have too many vector games to fix that I need to
> be worrying about. Just enjoy your game collections, that's what I'm
> doing.
>
> Todd

Anonymous
September 17, 2005 11:00:00 PM

no. no. no... that's in OHIO where the TORNADO'S hit!

"arcadeguy" <arcadeguy@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> LOL Art...............
> I always though 50% of Florida was in trailors because of the news
> always showing them getting blown away in Hurricanes.

Anonymous
September 17, 2005 11:03:51 PM

well.. of course we all had to pick the the friggin biggest, most unwieldly
hobby there is... hell even car collecting is easier (at least they can get
*themselves* where you want to go). It's a lot easier to collect something
that you can hang on your wall rather then something you need several
thousand square feet for.

steve

> The future of this hobby is us. As long as we maintain our websites,
> have shows [videotopia and cal extrem], answer questions and get others
> involved this hobby it will not die.
> Even though the interest hasnt been there like it used to be people
> still are enthused about video games.
> Video games changed everything. They opened people minds
> psychedelically and pushed hardware to new extremes.
>
> This hobby wont die, it will only evolve.
>
> Don
> www.arcadeguy.com

September 18, 2005 3:08:26 AM

Pins can't be emulated and that is one reason for the steady decay / decline
of arcade collecting vs pins. Put the whole arcade in one *Mame* cabinet
and wala! You don't need a huge room and you won't get tired of the
selection. Plus - many original games are over 20+ years old and less and
less people know how to work on them. I used to have 10+ vids back in high
school. Now I have two linked race games a Reunion Ms Pac / Galaga and a
720 oh and 10 pins.

If Mame didn't come along, the video markey wouldn't be as far down the
toilet as it currently is.

Andy

> It's all about Pinball now.Video has one foot in the Grave.Im even wanting
> to buy the new Sopranos Pinball that just came out.Pins have much more
> action and since they are making all of the themed one'slike movies and
> even one of the most popular shows like the Sopranos,Harley
> Davidson.ETC..It makes me want to start a collection of nifty pins like
> those.
> "LarryC" <larry@nospam.hermitcreek.com> wrote in message
>> As the hobby dies the number sources for parts, technical
>> assistance/repairs and quality art reproductions goes down. Look at a
>> lot of the better sources for repro artwork and look at where their
>> efforts are - PINBALL. Try to get one of them to take on a new Video Game
>> art reproduction and they'll tell you it doesn't make good 'business'
>> sense to do it. That impacts a lot of collectors who prefer to buy
>> broken down games and restore them. Anyone (with money) can simply
>> purchase a nice game, but to me the hobby is restoration and if the
>> 'hobby' dies I'll never get Track and Field side art, a Joust 2 CPO or a
>> non-flaking tempered glass Joust bezel.
>>

>> "Jon eXidy" <evil.exidy@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>> since when do we care if the hobby dies? I collect for myself.
>>>
>>> jon
>>>
>>> --
>>> http://www.arcade-classics.com
>>> "Plisskin" <scorpiokings@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Anonymous
September 18, 2005 8:52:33 PM

It used to be 50% now it's down to 41%.

Sorry, bad joke but oh well!!!

"arcadeguy" <arcadeguy@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> LOL Art...............
> I always though 50% of Florida was in trailors because of the news
> always showing them getting blown away in Hurricanes.

Anonymous
September 18, 2005 10:42:09 PM

Good points Mac. There are those in this hobby purely for monetary
reasons (see shitted out MsPacs on ebay with opening bids of $750 WTF??
) and those who really love the games. Im sick of seeing "reserve not
met" or auctions ending with ZERO bids because the opening was $1200.
WTF??. Put your game up for auction and what you get is what it's
worth. If you think it's worth more, hold on to it like a stubborn SOB
and have yourself burried in it when you die. HA!! an Asteroids coffin,
imagine that. Or a PacMan Marquee as a tombstone, HA!!
But there are exceptions in this hobby. Anthony from Quarterarcade
truly turns out great pieces. NEW monitors and excellent cabinet work,
plus a WARRANTY. Iv'e seen his shop, bought project games from him, and
chit chatted whenever at an auction or expo. He really loves this
hobby. I wouldnt classify him as a dealer, no, he is a restorer. His
games are worth every dollar.
Fools will be weeded out in the next few years (if not months) and
the true gamers will prevail.

Drew@Bunkercade
!