XP reboot loop after SP2 update is installed

Hello, I installed SP2 via automatic update notification and did express
setup. SP2 completed successfully to the point it says you must restart to
complete the install.
Upon restart my PC gets hung in a reboot loop. I cannot get to safe mode,
nor last good configuation. I did however disable reboot on failure and got
this msg:
"Stop: C000021A Fatal System error , The windows subsystem system process
terminated unexpectedly w/ a status of 0xC0000005 (0x7FFE0297 , 0x0015FAB8)
the system has been shutdown." I can find info for C000021A and C0000005,
but none of it is of any use. What I need are details for the errors in
parenthesis. I can successfully remove SP2 from my PC, but would like to
eventually be able to successfully install SP2. I cannot find any details on
the 2 errors in ( ) on microsoft.com, or on google. Can anyone shed some
details on the 2 errors in ( ). Much appreciated.
2 answers Last reply
More about reboot loop update installed

    "spazman7" <spazman7@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

    >Hello, I installed SP2 via automatic update notification and did express
    >setup. SP2 completed successfully to the point it says you must restart to
    >complete the install.
    >Upon restart my PC gets hung in a reboot loop. I cannot get to safe mode,
    >nor last good configuation. I did however disable reboot on failure and got
    >this msg:
    >"Stop: C000021A Fatal System error , The windows subsystem system process
    >terminated unexpectedly w/ a status of 0xC0000005 (0x7FFE0297 , 0x0015FAB8)
    >the system has been shutdown." I can find info for C000021A and C0000005,
    >but none of it is of any use. What I need are details for the errors in
    >parenthesis. I can successfully remove SP2 from my PC, but would like to
    >eventually be able to successfully install SP2. I cannot find any details on
    >the 2 errors in ( ) on microsoft.com, or on google. Can anyone shed some
    >details on the 2 errors in ( ). Much appreciated.

    1. Get the complete SP2 on CD. Check with computer stores in your
    area - they may have free copies available. Or you can order one from
    Microsoft at
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/updates/sp2/cdorder/en_us/default.mspx

    2. Before installing SP2 from the CD read the preparatio guide at
    http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/spackins.htm and follow the steps
    suggested.

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    http://aumha.org/alex.htm

    Ron,
    I finally received the CD. I followed the steps to prepare my PC in the
    link you provided. It worked like a champ. XP SP2 was successful. Thank
    you.

    "Ron Martell" wrote:

    > "spazman7" <spazman7@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    >
    > >Hello, I installed SP2 via automatic update notification and did express
    > >setup. SP2 completed successfully to the point it says you must restart to
    > >complete the install.
    > >Upon restart my PC gets hung in a reboot loop. I cannot get to safe mode,
    > >nor last good configuation. I did however disable reboot on failure and got
    > >this msg:
    > >"Stop: C000021A Fatal System error , The windows subsystem system process
    > >terminated unexpectedly w/ a status of 0xC0000005 (0x7FFE0297 , 0x0015FAB8)
    > >the system has been shutdown." I can find info for C000021A and C0000005,
    > >but none of it is of any use. What I need are details for the errors in
    > >parenthesis. I can successfully remove SP2 from my PC, but would like to
    > >eventually be able to successfully install SP2. I cannot find any details on
    > >the 2 errors in ( ) on microsoft.com, or on google. Can anyone shed some
    > >details on the 2 errors in ( ). Much appreciated.
    >
    > 1. Get the complete SP2 on CD. Check with computer stores in your
    > area - they may have free copies available. Or you can order one from
    > Microsoft at
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/updates/sp2/cdorder/en_us/default.mspx
    >
    > 2. Before installing SP2 from the CD read the preparatio guide at
    > http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/spackins.htm and follow the steps
    > suggested.
    >
    > Good luck
    >

    > Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada