Laptop Video Cards??

scarywoody

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I will be aquiring a laptop computer in the next few months and was wondering if there were any decent graphics cards for laptops. I haven't really looked very hard, but it doesn't seem like there are that many. I was hoping to play games i.e. halflife and run in open gl. Can someone point me in the right direction?

Diemos

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but 99.9% of laptops have integrated graphics that can't be updated. you said you found some and im curious to know what these people were actually selling. Again, Im sorry. Your best bet is to buy a laptop with best vid you can find, because you'll be stuck with it for the life of the machine.

G

Diemos is right, I would say 100% not possible to change.

notebook to play games? no way, why don't you borrow a notebook from your friend and try

Say get one of those with 8MB ram, and you will see how they lag behind desktop with GF kind of stuff especially DDR ram type.

Forget it, you are looking for the holly grail

Best regards
cx5

G

Actually there are new video cards coming out for Laptops in the comming months, but they'll be built into the laptops like stated above. The best card that I know of, which will be comming out sooner or later, will the the Geforce 2 Go. It is clocked at a lower speed than the Geforce 2 line since you need to consider power consumption in your laptop. The Geforce 2 Go could be a good solution, or the ATI M4 graphics card which is currently out. It supports 4x AGP and I've seen it at 32mb SDRAM in a few articles I've come across.
Though these cards will be very decent, they'll be nothing like your desktop counterpart.

G

GF2Go will be the first mobile chip to run games at a decent level, it won't blow you away but should do 1024x768 16-bit at 30fps. You'll probably be limited to 16MB of 64-bit DDR in the near future, maybe 32MB if you get lucky, and have money to burn.

ATI is also going to be releasing a mobile Radeon soon, should be comparable to the GF2Go.

I AM Canadian.