Setup is starting Windows - HANGS!

July 1, 2005 10:22:01 PM

Once Windows XP Pro installs the installation files to the hard drive, the
system does not get past "Setup is starting Windows". I cannot perform any
diagnostics on the drives that I install to because Windows is not
installed...therefore what is there to do? My system has been paralyzed for
a week or so now. I have 1 new hard drive, and an old one that I am using
for storage. Both are Western Digital. The newest one (160GB Western
Digital) had Windows on it, and when I noticed my BIOS was not seeing the
full 160GB (it was seeing 137.4 GB), I reformatted, updated my BIOS to the
latest revision, and the problem STILL exists... I cannot install Windows!!
Formatted the hard drives and everything... if anyone can help me get past
the message "Setup is starting Windows", HELP!!

- Kevin
Anonymous
July 2, 2005 12:56:14 AM

Can you repeat the question again...

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"DrummsB4" wrote:

| Once Windows XP Pro installs the installation files to the hard drive, the
| system does not get past "Setup is starting Windows". I cannot perform any
| diagnostics on the drives that I install to because Windows is not
| installed...therefore what is there to do? My system has been paralyzed for
| a week or so now. I have 1 new hard drive, and an old one that I am using
| for storage. Both are Western Digital. The newest one (160GB Western
| Digital) had Windows on it, and when I noticed my BIOS was not seeing the
| full 160GB (it was seeing 137.4 GB), I reformatted, updated my BIOS to the
| latest revision, and the problem STILL exists... I cannot install Windows!!
| Formatted the hard drives and everything... if anyone can help me get past
| the message "Setup is starting Windows", HELP!!
|
| - Kevin
Anonymous
July 2, 2005 12:56:15 AM

Everything in my computer is functioning to the best of my knowledge. I have
performed memory tests, hard drive tests/formats, BIOS updates to the latest
BIOS according to the manufacturer. I am trying to install Windows XP
Professnioal (First Edition) and each time I try, setup stalls at the blue
screen "Setup is starting Windows". From there, I cannot do anything but
restart the process over. System configuration is the same as the day I got
it in August of 2002. I just need to get past this message so that Windows
begins installing, and I should be fine...

- Kevin

!