Voodoo 5500 AGP or PCI

Klaus

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Hi,
I currently have a Dell PII 400 XPSR with 224 mb ram, an 8 mmb ATI primary AGP graphics card and dual Diamond voodoo 2 12 mb PCI cards sli'd.
I want to upgrade my graphics but MUST HAVE GLIDE capabilities.
I am thinking of buying the Voodoo 5500 64 mb card and my question is should I go AGP or PCI?
My thinking is if I go PCI and there is ever a problem with the 5500, I can revert to the dual voodoo 2's I am running now. Yet, if I go AGP, will there be much better performance than with the PCI version?

Klaus

G

I am thinking of buying the Voodoo 5500 64 mb card and my question is should I go AGP or PCI?
My thinking is if I go PCI and there is ever a problem with the 5500, I can revert to the dual voodoo 2's I am running now. Yet, if I go AGP, will there be much better performance than with the PCI version?

That doesn't make sense. You want to buy the PCI so just in case something goes wrong, you can go back to your current configuration of an AGP card and 2 x PCI voodoo2's.

Why not get an AGP VooDoo 5 5500, then if something goes wrong, you can still revert back to the current config of an AGP and 2 x PCI VooDoo2's.

Better yet, get GF2 64MB with the money that you would spend on the V5 5500, and keep the VooDoo2's in the box for when you need to run glide. Thats easy enough. Just replace the ATi AGP card with a nVidia GF2 64MB, get better performance than a VooDoo 5 5500. I'm 90% sure this can be done. Also you can get glide "wrappers" for nVidia cards, which will work. Enabling you to get the best of all worlds.

Do some research on the glide wrappers. You might be surprised.

PS: its late, don't blame me for my spelling, grammar, lack of links

=================
Ian McGinley
parawolf

shark

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
since V5 5500 AGP runs in PCI66 mode (it's a pci card in a AGP slot) you should not get any problems, maybe except from that that V5 is not much faster than V2 SLI.

scarecrow

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
From my own personal experiance the v5 5500 Agp kicks some major a**. With every new version of the drivers it seems to get better. So I would suggest ripping out the v2's and the Ati card and freeup some recources.