fast clock

Hi all,

I have Xp pro running SP2 and i have a issue with my windows clock, it
randomly has a mind of its own and more frequently than not it will be
running fast (never slow) than what it should be. If i reboot my PC
then the clock will resume the correct time. There is no set amount
that the clock runs fast at , some times when i get home from work it
can be 38minutes or so fast , and yet with the same things running,
the next day i get home it may only be 30 or so seconds ahead of time.
I’m currently letting a "atomic clock" program deal with fixing my
fast time because the windows clock never seemed to do it frequently
enough. The atomic clock program does fix my problem but i cant help
but feel that i shouldn’t have to use it and besides that i’m not a
great fan of having to many programs running in the back ground at
once so out of curiousity was wondering if any one has any solutions
or tips i can try to correct my fast clock issue ?

thanks
larry

AMD athlon 1.92Ghz
1Gb ddr400 ram
gforce fx5900 video card
160GB HD

if you need more info feel free to ask and i’ll answer what i can

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Help---Support-fast-clock-ftopict551754.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1748382

Sparda

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2005

"lazza" wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have Xp pro running SP2 and i have a issue with my windows
> clock, it randomly has a mind of its own and more frequently
> than not it will be running fast (never slow) than what it
> should be. If i reboot my PC then the clock will resume the
> correct time. There is no set amount that the clock runs fast
> at , some times when i get home from work it can be 38minutes
> or so fast , and yet with the same things running, the next
> day i get home it may only be 30 or so seconds ahead of time.
> I'm currently letting a "atomic clock" program deal with
> fixing my fast time because the windows clock never seemed to
> do it frequently enough. The atomic clock program does fix my
> problem but i cant help but feel that i shouldn't have to use
> it and besides that i'm not a great fan of having to many
> programs running in the back ground at once so out of
> curiousity was wondering if any one has any solutions or tips
> i can try to correct my fast clock issue ?
>
> thanks
> larry
>
> AMD athlon 1.92Ghz
> 1Gb ddr400 ram
> gforce fx5900 video card
> 160GB HD
>
> if you need more info feel free to ask and i'll answer what i
> can

Perhaps a CMOS battery problem?

You should try replacing the battey, you can probably buy a replacment
one from any shop that sells batterys. But besure to save your BIOS
settings to a floppy disk if they give you that option, other wise you
will have to write down all the key stuff they you need to remebr,
becasue when you remove the battey it will reset it’s self back to
default CMOS settings.

"Sparda" wrote:
> Perhaps a CMOS battery problem?
>
> You should try replacing the battey, you can probably buy a
> replacment one from any shop that sells batterys. But besure
> to save your BIOS settings to a floppy disk if they give you
> that option, other wise you will have to write down all the
> key stuff they you need to remebr, becasue when you remove the
> battey it will reset it's self back to default CMOS settings.

Thanks for the reply, my understanding of the CMOS battery is that
when it starts to get low on power it will cause the clock to run slow
rather than run fast like mine is ?.
I will however replace the battery just out of curiosity even though
my motherboard is only around 1.5 years old and see how that goes.

larry

"lazza" <DoNotEmail@WindowsForumz.com> wrote in message
> "Sparda" wrote:
> > Perhaps a CMOS battery problem?
> >
> > You should try replacing the battey, you can probably buy a
> > replacment one from any shop that sells batterys. But besure
> > to save your BIOS settings to a floppy disk if they give you
> > that option, other wise you will have to write down all the
> > key stuff they you need to remebr, becasue when you remove the
> > battey it will reset it's self back to default CMOS settings.
>
> Thanks for the reply, my understanding of the CMOS battery is that
> when it starts to get low on power it will cause the clock to run slow
> rather than run fast like mine is ?.
> I will however replace the battery just out of curiosity even though
> my motherboard is only around 1.5 years old and see how that goes.

If you beleive your CMOS battery is not dying, you could edit the
registry to update the Internet Time more frequently.

Navigate to:
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\W32Time\TimeProviders\Ntp
Client]

Double-click "SpecialPollInterval" in the right-hand pane and select
Decimal. Change the Decimal value in seconds.

NOTE: The value is in seconds. Enter the number of seconds you would
like to update to the correct time. If you want every hour then it would
be 3600 seconds, daily woulbd be 86400 seconds.

--
William

lazza wrote:
> "Sparda" wrote:
> > Perhaps a CMOS battery problem?
> >
> > Yov shovld try replacing the battey, yov can probably bvy a
> > replacment one from any shop that sells batterys. Bvt besvre
> > to save yovr BIOS settings to a floppy disk if they give yov
> > that option, other wise yov will have to write down all the
> > key stvff they yov need to remebr, becasve when yov remove the
> > battey it will reset it's self back to defavlt CMOS settings.
>
> Thanks for the reply, my vnderstanding of the CMOS battery is that
> when it starts to get low on power it will cavse the clock to rvn slow
> rather than rvn fast like mine is ?.
> I will however replace the battery jvst ovt of cvriosity even thovgh
> my motherboard is only arovnd 1.5 years old and see how that goes.
>
> larry

Worth a shot. However, a battery shovld last at least 3 yrs at minimvm.
Covld, possibly be a voltage problem to the, CPU or the Memory, maybe
even a heat problem to either one, or prehaps even the MOBO chipset.

--
Bill McCartney
Union City, Georgia

E-mail rot 13ed