wireless router hooked to non wireless router

is it possible to have a non wireless router as the main router, where the
cable modem is hooked into and stuff, then have a wireless router conneced
to it so we could have a wireless network sharing the net etc?
12 answers Last reply
More about wireless router hooked wireless router

    msi wrote:
    > is it possible to have a non wireless router as the main router, where the
    > cable modem is hooked into and stuff, then have a wireless router conneced
    > to it so we could have a wireless network sharing the net etc?

    Yes, but you only need an Access Point for that.

    "Jerry Park" <NoReply@No.Spam> wrote in message
    > msi wrote:
    > > is it possible to have a non wireless router as the main router, where
    the
    > > cable modem is hooked into and stuff, then have a wireless router
    conneced
    > > to it so we could have a wireless network sharing the net etc?
    > >

    > Yes, but you only need an Access Point for that.

    So the access point hooks into the non wireless router via one of the lan
    ports? is that how it works? the main router has a really good web content
    filtering provided by a great filtering company, and some business class
    features such as stats and usage tracking for ips on the local network etc,
    but i would want to eventually go wireless and still have the same
    functionality from the non wireless router. already having a wireless
    router, i wouldn't buy an ACCESS POINT OR POSSIBLY I WOULD, BUT NOT WANTING
    TO SPEND THE EXTRA $.

    sorry for the all caps.

    "msi" <msi@msi.com> wrote in message

    > "Jerry Park" <NoReply@No.Spam> wrote in message
    > > msi wrote:
    > > > is it possible to have a non wireless router as the main router, where
    > the
    > > > cable modem is hooked into and stuff, then have a wireless router
    > conneced
    > > > to it so we could have a wireless network sharing the net etc?
    > > >

    > > Yes, but you only need an Access Point for that.
    >
    > So the access point hooks into the non wireless router via one of the lan
    > ports? is that how it works? the main router has a really good web content
    > filtering provided by a great filtering company, and some business class
    > features such as stats and usage tracking for ips on the local network
    etc,
    > but i would want to eventually go wireless and still have the same
    > functionality from the non wireless router. already having a wireless
    > router, i wouldn't buy an ACCESS POINT OR POSSIBLY I WOULD, BUT NOT
    WANTING
    > TO SPEND THE EXTRA $.
    >
    > sorry for the all caps.

    i can make my belkin an access point, so it works good for that i guess, but
    then i don't know anything about this stuff, lol.

    msi wrote:
    > "Jerry Park" <NoReply@No.Spam> wrote in message
    >
    >>msi wrote:
    >>
    >>>is it possible to have a non wireless router as the main router, where
    >
    > the
    >
    >>>cable modem is hooked into and stuff, then have a wireless router
    >
    > conneced
    >
    >>>to it so we could have a wireless network sharing the net etc?
    >>>

    >>Yes, but you only need an Access Point for that.
    >

    > So the access point hooks into the non wireless router via one of the lan
    > ports? is that how it works? the main router has a really good web content
    > filtering provided by a great filtering company, and some business class
    > features such as stats and usage tracking for ips on the local network etc,
    > but i would want to eventually go wireless and still have the same
    > functionality from the non wireless router. already having a wireless
    > router, i wouldn't buy an ACCESS POINT OR POSSIBLY I WOULD, BUT NOT WANTING
    > TO SPEND THE EXTRA $.

    Yes. Just plug an AP into the router as you would a computer.

    You can use a wireless router, but configuring the second router may be
    difficult (will you set up another subnet -- if so, do you know how to
    set up routing tables between the two routers?).
    > sorry for the all caps.

    The second router or access point would get it's IP address from the first
    router (the wired one in this discussion I think) - that means that the
    wireless clients would also obtain their IP address (via pass through) from
    the wired router. There shouldn't be multiple subnets and routing issues
    unless you start hard wiring IP addresses and mess it up.

    cable/dsl modem ==> wired router ===> wireless router/access
    oint --->wireless pcs

    HTH

    > is it possible to have a non wireless router as the main
    router, where the
    > cable modem is hooked into and stuff, then have a wireless
    router conneced
    > to it so we could have a wireless network sharing the net
    etc?

    if you connect lan on the cable router, to lan on the
    wireless router, it should work (mine does). You will have
    to alter the address range of the dhcp server in one of
    them, otherwise they may clash.
    Why not just change out the cable router and use just the
    wireless router ?

    P.

    i don't know how to set up anything like that, routing tables and stuff. but
    i won't need to for a while cus i don't think we'll have any wireless for a
    while.

    On Wed, 28 Apr 2004 12:32:41 -0700, "msi" <msi@msi.com> wrote:

    >"Jerry Park" <NoReply@No.Spam> wrote in message
    >> msi wrote:
    >> > is it possible to have a non wireless router as the main router, where
    >the
    >> > cable modem is hooked into and stuff, then have a wireless router
    >conneced
    >> > to it so we could have a wireless network sharing the net etc?
    >> >

    >> Yes, but you only need an Access Point for that.
    >
    >So the access point hooks into the non wireless router via one of the lan
    >ports? is that how it works? the main router has a really good web content
    >filtering provided by a great filtering company, and some business class
    >features such as stats and usage tracking for ips on the local network etc,
    >but i would want to eventually go wireless and still have the same
    >functionality from the non wireless router. already having a wireless
    >router, i wouldn't buy an ACCESS POINT OR POSSIBLY I WOULD, BUT NOT WANTING
    >TO SPEND THE EXTRA $.
    >
    >sorry for the all caps.

    You might get some info you need here:
    http://www.pccitizen.com/correctwireless.htm

    Jack Mac

    Interesting page - thanks for posting the link.

    "Jack Mac" <camkcaj@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
    > You might get some info you need here:
    > http://www.pccitizen.com/correctwireless.htm
    >
    > Jack Mac

    Right now I have my DSL modem connected to a wired Linksys - a cat 5
    cable from the uplink connector on the wired router to one of the 4
    connectors on the wireless router which is set to bridge (not gateway)
    mode. This extends my wireless coverage. If you don't need the
    extension, why not just use the wireless router as the main one. I
    couldn't because the distances and walls prevented getting good access.
    Amme

    "msi" <msi@msi.com> wrote in message
    | is it possible to have a non wireless router as the main router, where
    the
    | cable modem is hooked into and stuff, then have a wireless router
    conneced
    | to it so we could have a wireless network sharing the net etc?

    If I get a new non wireless router it is because of some features needed
    that the wireless does not do, and i need uptime as the belkin freezes
    sometimes.

    "computer user" <no-one@no-where-invalid.com> wrote in message
    > Right now I have my DSL modem connected to a wired Linksys - a cat 5
    > cable from the uplink connector on the wired router to one of the 4
    > connectors on the wireless router which is set to bridge (not gateway)
    > mode. This extends my wireless coverage. If you don't need the
    > extension, why not just use the wireless router as the main one. I
    > couldn't because the distances and walls prevented getting good access.
    > Amme
    >
    > "msi" <msi@msi.com> wrote in message
    > | is it possible to have a non wireless router as the main router, where
    > the
    > | cable modem is hooked into and stuff, then have a wireless router
    > conneced
    > | to it so we could have a wireless network sharing the net etc?

    On Wed, 28 Apr 2004 22:23:50 GMT, in alt.internet.wireless , "msi"
    <msi@msi.com> wrote:

    >i don't know how to set up anything like that, routing tables and stuff. but
    >i won't need to for a while cus i don't think we'll have any wireless for a
    >while.

    You don't have to do any of that stuff - just connect the routers together
    by the LAN ports, and disable the DHCP server on one of them. The other
    will then assign all the relevant addresses. Effectively you're then using
    the 2nd router as a switch.

    --
    Mark McIntyre

Wireless Router Wireless Wireless Network Internet Wireless Networking