Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

wireless router hooked to non wireless router

Last response: in Wireless Networking
Share
April 28, 2004 3:28:31 PM

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

is it possible to have a non wireless router as the main router, where the
cable modem is hooked into and stuff, then have a wireless router conneced
to it so we could have a wireless network sharing the net etc?
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
April 28, 2004 6:22:02 PM

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

msi wrote:
> is it possible to have a non wireless router as the main router, where the
> cable modem is hooked into and stuff, then have a wireless router conneced
> to it so we could have a wireless network sharing the net etc?
>
>
Yes, but you only need an Access Point for that.
April 28, 2004 6:22:03 PM

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

"Jerry Park" <NoReply@No.Spam> wrote in message
news:rrTjc.50561$Uz1.5995@bignews3.bellsouth.net...
> msi wrote:
> > is it possible to have a non wireless router as the main router, where
the
> > cable modem is hooked into and stuff, then have a wireless router
conneced
> > to it so we could have a wireless network sharing the net etc?
> >
> >
> Yes, but you only need an Access Point for that.

So the access point hooks into the non wireless router via one of the lan
ports? is that how it works? the main router has a really good web content
filtering provided by a great filtering company, and some business class
features such as stats and usage tracking for ips on the local network etc,
but i would want to eventually go wireless and still have the same
functionality from the non wireless router. already having a wireless
router, i wouldn't buy an ACCESS POINT OR POSSIBLY I WOULD, BUT NOT WANTING
TO SPEND THE EXTRA $.

sorry for the all caps.
Related resources
April 28, 2004 6:22:04 PM

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

"msi" <msi@msi.com> wrote in message
news:20040428153248.311$8T@news.newsreader.com...
>
> "Jerry Park" <NoReply@No.Spam> wrote in message
> news:rrTjc.50561$Uz1.5995@bignews3.bellsouth.net...
> > msi wrote:
> > > is it possible to have a non wireless router as the main router, where
> the
> > > cable modem is hooked into and stuff, then have a wireless router
> conneced
> > > to it so we could have a wireless network sharing the net etc?
> > >
> > >
> > Yes, but you only need an Access Point for that.
>
> So the access point hooks into the non wireless router via one of the lan
> ports? is that how it works? the main router has a really good web content
> filtering provided by a great filtering company, and some business class
> features such as stats and usage tracking for ips on the local network
etc,
> but i would want to eventually go wireless and still have the same
> functionality from the non wireless router. already having a wireless
> router, i wouldn't buy an ACCESS POINT OR POSSIBLY I WOULD, BUT NOT
WANTING
> TO SPEND THE EXTRA $.
>
> sorry for the all caps.
>
>

i can make my belkin an access point, so it works good for that i guess, but
then i don't know anything about this stuff, lol.
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
April 28, 2004 7:26:28 PM

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

msi wrote:
> "Jerry Park" <NoReply@No.Spam> wrote in message
> news:rrTjc.50561$Uz1.5995@bignews3.bellsouth.net...
>
>>msi wrote:
>>
>>>is it possible to have a non wireless router as the main router, where
>
> the
>
>>>cable modem is hooked into and stuff, then have a wireless router
>
> conneced
>
>>>to it so we could have a wireless network sharing the net etc?
>>>
>>>
>>
>>Yes, but you only need an Access Point for that.
>
>
> So the access point hooks into the non wireless router via one of the lan
> ports? is that how it works? the main router has a really good web content
> filtering provided by a great filtering company, and some business class
> features such as stats and usage tracking for ips on the local network etc,
> but i would want to eventually go wireless and still have the same
> functionality from the non wireless router. already having a wireless
> router, i wouldn't buy an ACCESS POINT OR POSSIBLY I WOULD, BUT NOT WANTING
> TO SPEND THE EXTRA $.
>
Yes. Just plug an AP into the router as you would a computer.

You can use a wireless router, but configuring the second router may be
difficult (will you set up another subnet -- if so, do you know how to
set up routing tables between the two routers?).
> sorry for the all caps.
>
>
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
April 28, 2004 9:46:24 PM

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

The second router or access point would get it's IP address from the first
router (the wired one in this discussion I think) - that means that the
wireless clients would also obtain their IP address (via pass through) from
the wired router. There shouldn't be multiple subnets and routing issues
unless you start hard wiring IP addresses and mess it up.

cable/dsl modem ==> wired router ===> wireless router/access
oint --->wireless pcs

HTH


"Jerry Park" <NoReply@No.Spam> wrote in message
news:%lUjc.37818$oN1.25609@bignews5.bellsouth.net...
> msi wrote:
> > "Jerry Park" <NoReply@No.Spam> wrote in message
> > news:rrTjc.50561$Uz1.5995@bignews3.bellsouth.net...
> >
> >>msi wrote:
> >>
> >>>is it possible to have a non wireless router as the main router, where
> >
> > the
> >
> >>>cable modem is hooked into and stuff, then have a wireless router
> >
> > conneced
> >
> >>>to it so we could have a wireless network sharing the net etc?
> >>>
> >>>
> >>
> >>Yes, but you only need an Access Point for that.
> >
> >
> > So the access point hooks into the non wireless router via one of the
lan
> > ports? is that how it works? the main router has a really good web
content
> > filtering provided by a great filtering company, and some business class
> > features such as stats and usage tracking for ips on the local network
etc,
> > but i would want to eventually go wireless and still have the same
> > functionality from the non wireless router. already having a wireless
> > router, i wouldn't buy an ACCESS POINT OR POSSIBLY I WOULD, BUT NOT
WANTING
> > TO SPEND THE EXTRA $.
> >
> Yes. Just plug an AP into the router as you would a computer.
>
> You can use a wireless router, but configuring the second router may be
> difficult (will you set up another subnet -- if so, do you know how to
> set up routing tables between the two routers?).
> > sorry for the all caps.
> >
> >
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
April 29, 2004 1:29:25 AM

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

"msi" <msi@msi.com> wrote in message
news:20040428142839.256$fL@news.newsreader.com...
> is it possible to have a non wireless router as the main
router, where the
> cable modem is hooked into and stuff, then have a wireless
router conneced
> to it so we could have a wireless network sharing the net
etc?
>
>

if you connect lan on the cable router, to lan on the
wireless router, it should work (mine does). You will have
to alter the address range of the dhcp server in one of
them, otherwise they may clash.
Why not just change out the cable router and use just the
wireless router ?

P.
April 29, 2004 2:23:50 AM

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

i don't know how to set up anything like that, routing tables and stuff. but
i won't need to for a while cus i don't think we'll have any wireless for a
while.


"Jerry Park" <NoReply@No.Spam> wrote in message
news:%lUjc.37818$oN1.25609@bignews5.bellsouth.net...
> msi wrote:
> > "Jerry Park" <NoReply@No.Spam> wrote in message
> > news:rrTjc.50561$Uz1.5995@bignews3.bellsouth.net...
> >
> >>msi wrote:
> >>
> >>>is it possible to have a non wireless router as the main router, where
> >
> > the
> >
> >>>cable modem is hooked into and stuff, then have a wireless router
> >
> > conneced
> >
> >>>to it so we could have a wireless network sharing the net etc?
> >>>
> >>>
> >>
> >>Yes, but you only need an Access Point for that.
> >
> >
> > So the access point hooks into the non wireless router via one of the
lan
> > ports? is that how it works? the main router has a really good web
content
> > filtering provided by a great filtering company, and some business class
> > features such as stats and usage tracking for ips on the local network
etc,
> > but i would want to eventually go wireless and still have the same
> > functionality from the non wireless router. already having a wireless
> > router, i wouldn't buy an ACCESS POINT OR POSSIBLY I WOULD, BUT NOT
WANTING
> > TO SPEND THE EXTRA $.
> >
> Yes. Just plug an AP into the router as you would a computer.
>
> You can use a wireless router, but configuring the second router may be
> difficult (will you set up another subnet -- if so, do you know how to
> set up routing tables between the two routers?).
> > sorry for the all caps.
> >
> >
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
April 29, 2004 12:16:56 PM

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

On Wed, 28 Apr 2004 12:32:41 -0700, "msi" <msi@msi.com> wrote:

>
>"Jerry Park" <NoReply@No.Spam> wrote in message
>news:rrTjc.50561$Uz1.5995@bignews3.bellsouth.net...
>> msi wrote:
>> > is it possible to have a non wireless router as the main router, where
>the
>> > cable modem is hooked into and stuff, then have a wireless router
>conneced
>> > to it so we could have a wireless network sharing the net etc?
>> >
>> >
>> Yes, but you only need an Access Point for that.
>
>So the access point hooks into the non wireless router via one of the lan
>ports? is that how it works? the main router has a really good web content
>filtering provided by a great filtering company, and some business class
>features such as stats and usage tracking for ips on the local network etc,
>but i would want to eventually go wireless and still have the same
>functionality from the non wireless router. already having a wireless
>router, i wouldn't buy an ACCESS POINT OR POSSIBLY I WOULD, BUT NOT WANTING
>TO SPEND THE EXTRA $.
>
>sorry for the all caps.
>
You might get some info you need here:
http://www.pccitizen.com/correctwireless.htm

Jack Mac
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
April 29, 2004 1:36:17 PM

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

Interesting page - thanks for posting the link.

"Jack Mac" <camkcaj@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
news:7gs190h2efdc4na4i8kpmdo64llkij6g7n@4ax.com...
> You might get some info you need here:
> http://www.pccitizen.com/correctwireless.htm
>
> Jack Mac
>
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
April 29, 2004 4:08:31 PM

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

Right now I have my DSL modem connected to a wired Linksys - a cat 5
cable from the uplink connector on the wired router to one of the 4
connectors on the wireless router which is set to bridge (not gateway)
mode. This extends my wireless coverage. If you don't need the
extension, why not just use the wireless router as the main one. I
couldn't because the distances and walls prevented getting good access.
Amme

"msi" <msi@msi.com> wrote in message
news:20040428142839.256$fL@news.newsreader.com...
| is it possible to have a non wireless router as the main router, where
the
| cable modem is hooked into and stuff, then have a wireless router
conneced
| to it so we could have a wireless network sharing the net etc?
|
|
April 29, 2004 9:56:15 PM

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

If I get a new non wireless router it is because of some features needed
that the wireless does not do, and i need uptime as the belkin freezes
sometimes.


"computer user" <no-one@no-where-invalid.com> wrote in message
news:3f6kc.3946$wY.3655@nwrdny03.gnilink.net...
> Right now I have my DSL modem connected to a wired Linksys - a cat 5
> cable from the uplink connector on the wired router to one of the 4
> connectors on the wireless router which is set to bridge (not gateway)
> mode. This extends my wireless coverage. If you don't need the
> extension, why not just use the wireless router as the main one. I
> couldn't because the distances and walls prevented getting good access.
> Amme
>
> "msi" <msi@msi.com> wrote in message
> news:20040428142839.256$fL@news.newsreader.com...
> | is it possible to have a non wireless router as the main router, where
> the
> | cable modem is hooked into and stuff, then have a wireless router
> conneced
> | to it so we could have a wireless network sharing the net etc?
> |
> |
>
>
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
April 30, 2004 1:14:00 AM

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

On Wed, 28 Apr 2004 22:23:50 GMT, in alt.internet.wireless , "msi"
<msi@msi.com> wrote:

>i don't know how to set up anything like that, routing tables and stuff. but
>i won't need to for a while cus i don't think we'll have any wireless for a
>while.

You don't have to do any of that stuff - just connect the routers together
by the LAN ports, and disable the DHCP server on one of them. The other
will then assign all the relevant addresses. Effectively you're then using
the 2nd router as a switch.


--
Mark McIntyre
CLC FAQ <http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/C-faq/top.html&gt;
CLC readme: <http://www.angelfire.com/ms3/bchambless0/welcome_to_clc...;


----== Posted via Newsfeed.Com - Unlimited-Uncensored-Secure Usenet News==----
http://www.newsfeed.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! >100,000 Newsgroups
---= 19 East/West-Coast Specialized Servers - Total Privacy via Encryption =---
!