HD Access timing out

Glenn

My computer, running XP Home, has two HDs installed. When the second has
been idle and there is a call for data from it, the computer freezes and has
to be rebooted. The Event Viewer shows a string of errors, over a period of
about 30 seconds, which read "The device, \Device\Harddrive2\D is not ready
for access yet." After about 30 seconds of trying to access the drive, the
computer freezes.

I've replaced the cable with a new one and checked connections, but I am
beginning to suspect it is a problem with either the power supply or the
motherboard, Asus A7V8X. Has anyone had a similar experience, or
suggestions on where to look for the problem?

Thanks for your help.

You might want to goto your hard drive manufacturer's website and download
their drive diagnostics program.

Running that may give you an idea of what is wrong.

--
Gary Tsang
Microsoft MVP - Windows XP Shell/User

"Glenn" <gravery@nothotmail.com> wrote in message
> My computer, running XP Home, has two HDs installed. When the second has
> been idle and there is a call for data from it, the computer freezes and
> has to be rebooted. The Event Viewer shows a string of errors, over a
> period of about 30 seconds, which read "The device, \Device\Harddrive2\D
> is not ready for access yet." After about 30 seconds of trying to access
> the drive, the computer freezes.
>
> I've replaced the cable with a new one and checked connections, but I am
> beginning to suspect it is a problem with either the power supply or the
> motherboard, Asus A7V8X. Has anyone had a similar experience, or
> suggestions on where to look for the problem?
>
> Thanks for your help.

vanguard

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2004

"Glenn" <gravery@nothotmail.com> wrote in message
> My computer, running XP Home, has two HDs installed. When the second
> has been idle and there is a call for data from it, the computer
> freezes and has to be rebooted. The Event Viewer shows a string of
> errors, over a period of about 30 seconds, which read "The device,
> \Device\Harddrive2\D is not ready for access yet." After about 30
> seconds of trying to access the drive, the computer freezes.
>
> I've replaced the cable with a new one and checked connections, but I
> am beginning to suspect it is a problem with either the power supply
> or the motherboard, Asus A7V8X. Has anyone had a similar experience,
> or suggestions on where to look for the problem?

When you say that the second hard drive has been idle, do you mean that
it spun down (as part of your power saving options)? If so, and after
disabling or reconfiguring your power options (so you don't spin down
the drive), does the problem still occur?