Forgotten Password for Administrator Account

The administrator for my computer forget their password. How can we get it
reset or get them a new password. We are unable to download new programs or
basically make any type of changes our computer because the adminstrator is
unable to log on. How can we fix this problem. Someone out there Please help
8 answers Last reply
More about forgotten password administrator account

    Remove the battery from the computer for a while & put it back & that might
    remove the Adm. password from the comp.
    Regards
    Mahendra

    "Nicole" wrote:

    > The administrator for my computer forget their password. How can we get it
    > reset or get them a new password. We are unable to download new programs or
    > basically make any type of changes our computer because the adminstrator is
    > unable to log on. How can we fix this problem. Someone out there Please help

    Hi

    Please try the following link:

    http://www3.telus.net/dandemar­/lostpass.htm

    --

    Will Denny
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    "Nicole" <Nicole@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > The administrator for my computer forget their password. How can we get
    > it
    > reset or get them a new password. We are unable to download new programs
    > or
    > basically make any type of changes our computer because the adminstrator
    > is
    > unable to log on. How can we fix this problem. Someone out there Please
    > help

    Hi Denny

    The link given by you does not work. Do try it out & let me know. Thanks

    Mahendra

    Mahendra wrote:
    > Remove the battery from the computer for a while & put it back & that might
    > remove the Adm. password from the comp.
    > Regards
    > Mahendra

    No, that action will erase the PC's BIOS settings, but has absolutely
    nothing to do with the question asked.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    both at once. - RAH

    Hi Nicole,
    You sometimes find that the administrator account is not password protected
    if you start
    your machine in "safe mode" By administrator account I literally mean that
    logon name not
    a member of the administrator group. So start in safe mode type
    administrator and leave
    the password field blank. If you get in then you can change the password of
    any account
    on the system. Don't forget to give the administrator account itself a
    password as this behaviour
    is really a major security hole.
    Otherwise find someone locally who does data and system recovery to reset
    your
    system. They should have the necessary software to do it. Alternatively if
    you can afford $150
    buy ERD Commander from here:
    http://www.winternals.com/products/repairandrecovery/erdcommander2002.asp?pid=erdThe Locksmith function most definitely allows an administrator password tobe reset. Once that is done the admin account becomes available to you andyou can reset passwords for any other account on your system. Be advisedthat this programhas to be burned to a CD-R-so you need a functional machine to do that. AlsoERD commanderis used as a boot CD with an XP environment. So your PC must boot from a CD.Also in myexperience PC's with Bios overlays running conflict with ERD Commander. Bestof luck!Chelsea

    In addition:

    This was posted previously by Malke:

    <quote>
    Use the NTpasswd program to change the Administrator password to a
    blank. Then log in and change whatever passwords you want back to
    something you'll remember.

    http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl­/ntpasswd/

    </quote>

    --
    Ramesh, MS-MVP
    Windows Shell/User

    Windows XP Troubleshooting
    http://www.winhelponline.com
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org

    "Nicole" <Nicole@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > The administrator for my computer forget their password. How can we get
    > it
    > reset or get them a new password. We are unable to download new programs
    > or
    > basically make any type of changes our computer because the adminstrator
    > is
    > unable to log on. How can we fix this problem. Someone out there Please
    > help

    Copy paste works. But it does not when clicked. Usually happens when you
    copy a link from Google groups archived post. Some encoding problem.

    Use this : http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/lostpass.htm

    --

    "Mahendra" <Mahendra@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi Denny
    >
    > The link given by you does not work. Do try it out & let me know. Thanks
    >
    > Mahendra
    >
    > "Will Denny" wrote:
    >
    >> Hi
    >>
    >> Please try the following link:
    >>
    >> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar­/lostpass.htm
    >>
    >> --
    >>
    >> Will Denny
    >> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >> Please reply to the News Groups
    >>

    >> "Nicole" <Nicole@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > The administrator for my computer forget their password. How can we
    >> > get
    >> > it
    >> > reset or get them a new password. We are unable to download new
    >> > programs
    >> > or
    >> > basically make any type of changes our computer because the
    >> > adminstrator
    >> > is
    >> > unable to log on. How can we fix this problem. Someone out there
    >> > Please
    >> > help

    Mahendra,

    Yes, this does not apply here. OP is talking about the Windows XP
    Administrator account's password.

    (Thanks Bruce)

    --

    > Remove the battery from the computer for a while & put it back & that
    > might
    > remove the Adm. password from the comp.
    > Regards
    > Mahendra
    >
    > "Nicole" wrote:
    >
    >> The administrator for my computer forget their password. How can we get
    >> it
    >> reset or get them a new password. We are unable to download new programs
    >> or
    >> basically make any type of changes our computer because the adminstrator
    >> is
    >> unable to log on. How can we fix this problem. Someone out there Please
    >> help

Computers Microsoft Windows XP