Forgotten Password for Administrator Account

July 2, 2005 2:16:04 AM

The administrator for my computer forget their password. How can we get it
reset or get them a new password. We are unable to download new programs or
basically make any type of changes our computer because the adminstrator is
unable to log on. How can we fix this problem. Someone out there Please help
Anonymous
July 2, 2005 6:23:02 AM

Remove the battery from the computer for a while & put it back & that might
remove the Adm. password from the comp.
Regards
Mahendra

"Nicole" wrote:

> The administrator for my computer forget their password. How can we get it
> reset or get them a new password. We are unable to download new programs or
> basically make any type of changes our computer because the adminstrator is
> unable to log on. How can we fix this problem. Someone out there Please help
Anonymous
July 2, 2005 10:56:53 AM

Hi

Please try the following link:

http://www3.telus.net/dandemar­/lostpass.htm

--

Will Denny
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

"Nicole" <Nicole@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> The administrator for my computer forget their password. How can we get
> it
> reset or get them a new password. We are unable to download new programs
> or
> basically make any type of changes our computer because the adminstrator
> is
> unable to log on. How can we fix this problem. Someone out there Please
> help
July 2, 2005 11:58:02 AM

Hi Denny

The link given by you does not work. Do try it out & let me know. Thanks

Mahendra

"Will Denny" wrote:

> Hi
>
> Please try the following link:
>
> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar­/lostpass.htm
>
> --
>
> Will Denny
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
> Please reply to the News Groups
>

> "Nicole" <Nicole@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > The administrator for my computer forget their password. How can we get
> > it
> > reset or get them a new password. We are unable to download new programs
> > or
> > basically make any type of changes our computer because the adminstrator
> > is
> > unable to log on. How can we fix this problem. Someone out there Please
> > help

Anonymous
July 2, 2005 1:29:56 PM

Mahendra wrote:
> Remove the battery from the computer for a while & put it back & that might
> remove the Adm. password from the comp.
> Regards
> Mahendra

No, that action will erase the PC's BIOS settings, but has absolutely
nothing to do with the question asked.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH
July 2, 2005 9:55:48 PM

Hi Nicole,
You sometimes find that the administrator account is not password protected
if you start
your machine in "safe mode" By administrator account I literally mean that
logon name not
a member of the administrator group. So start in safe mode type
administrator and leave
the password field blank. If you get in then you can change the password of
any account
on the system. Don't forget to give the administrator account itself a
password as this behaviour
is really a major security hole.
Otherwise find someone locally who does data and system recovery to reset
your
system. They should have the necessary software to do it. Alternatively if
you can afford $150
buy ERD Commander from here:
http://www.winternals.com/products/repairandrecovery/er... Locksmith function most definitely allows an administrator password tobe reset. Once that is done the admin account becomes available to you andyou can reset passwords for any other account on your system. Be advisedthat this programhas to be burned to a CD-R-so you need a functional machine to do that. AlsoERD commanderis used as a boot CD with an XP environment. So your PC must boot from a CD.Also in myexperience PC's with Bios overlays running conflict with ERD Commander. Bestof luck!Chelsea
Anonymous
July 3, 2005 12:09:33 AM

In addition:

This was posted previously by Malke:

<quote>
Use the NTpasswd program to change the Administrator password to a
blank. Then log in and change whatever passwords you want back to
something you'll remember.

http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl­/ntpasswd/

</quote>

--
Ramesh, MS-MVP
Windows Shell/User

Windows XP Troubleshooting
http://www.winhelponline.com
http://windowsxp.mvps.org

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroup...

"Nicole" <Nicole@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> The administrator for my computer forget their password. How can we get
> it
> reset or get them a new password. We are unable to download new programs
> or
> basically make any type of changes our computer because the adminstrator
> is
> unable to log on. How can we fix this problem. Someone out there Please
> help
Anonymous
July 3, 2005 12:57:48 AM

Copy paste works. But it does not when clicked. Usually happens when you
copy a link from Google groups archived post. Some encoding problem.

Use this : http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/lostpass.htm

--

"Mahendra" <Mahendra@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi Denny
>
> The link given by you does not work. Do try it out & let me know. Thanks
>
> Mahendra
>
> "Will Denny" wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> Please try the following link:
>>
>> http://www3.telus.net/dandemar­/lostpass.htm
>>
>> --
>>
>> Will Denny
>> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
>> Please reply to the News Groups
>>

>> "Nicole" <Nicole@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > The administrator for my computer forget their password. How can we
>> > get
>> > it
>> > reset or get them a new password. We are unable to download new
>> > programs
>> > or
>> > basically make any type of changes our computer because the
>> > adminstrator
>> > is
>> > unable to log on. How can we fix this problem. Someone out there
>> > Please
>> > help

Anonymous
July 3, 2005 1:05:25 AM

Mahendra,

Yes, this does not apply here. OP is talking about the Windows XP
Administrator account's password.

(Thanks Bruce)

--

!