IS THIS HOBBY GOING TO DIE . (AGAIN POST)

Tags:
  • Games
  • Video
  • Video Games
Last response: in Video Games
September 18, 2005 8:08:45 AM

Hi all. I just wanted to post a new post about this subject as there
were 61 responses on this topic. I just wanted to say something about
this post. Most people here don't really know me. I live in Vermont,
with not many collectors up here. However, I used to live in New Jersey
back from 1981 to 1986. When I came back up here to Vermont, (where my
parents, family lives), I brought back many of my collected videos over
those early years going to auctions, etc..... What I'm trying to say is
that The collecting bug bit me hard back then . Enough to spend my hard
earned money while roofing to buy these games. I believe many of us
here were bit by that intoxicating bug at one time or another. I
believe we are here to stay. At least for my generation anyways. My
kids do enjoy the games, but not anything like I did back when they
first came out. I think home gamerooms will always be a big hit and not
go away until some new type of outside technology comes out to bring
more people out of their homes. Anyways, I just wanted to say that I
love this hobby just as much as I used to. To me it does not matter of
increased value or depletion. These historic games are awesome. :)
Thx, Bob Volk (Bobbys World)

More about : hobby die post

Anonymous
September 18, 2005 12:37:30 PM

I agree. For some (unfortunately many), this hobby is about flipping
vids. Buy them, get them working, and sell them for a profit. For the
rest of us it's more about a time and place and a memory. Nostalgia. A
passion for game restoration and preservation. Sure some of us sell the
occasional game to support our addiction, but it's not all about that
for us. For the dealers acting like collectors or the people who just
want to play the games for cheap, this hobby will die for them. One at a
time they drop off and are gone forever. They come and go, except for
the few that hold on.

Is there anything better than restoring a true classic or even your
favorite non classic to it's original state? Or even super-gluing and
duck-taping games just to get them working so you can play it again.
That's collecting. It's a passion, and it doesn't die. It might wear off
a bit now and then.

Buying a 39-1 or building a MAME cabinet is not collecting. That's
owning a video game. Multigame systems have done wonders for the
pocketbook, but they have done nothing to good for this hobby. And
selling parts is a real asset for those who restore, but the gut and
sell guys are scum, and they know it.

Some of my thoughts.

matrix42@sover.net wrote:
> Hi all. I just wanted to post a new post about this subject as there
> were 61 responses on this topic. I just wanted to say something about
> this post. Most people here don't really know me. I live in Vermont,
> with not many collectors up here. However, I used to live in New Jersey
> back from 1981 to 1986. When I came back up here to Vermont, (where my
> parents, family lives), I brought back many of my collected videos over
> those early years going to auctions, etc..... What I'm trying to say is
> that The collecting bug bit me hard back then . Enough to spend my hard
> earned money while roofing to buy these games. I believe many of us
> here were bit by that intoxicating bug at one time or another. I
> believe we are here to stay. At least for my generation anyways. My
> kids do enjoy the games, but not anything like I did back when they
> first came out. I think home gamerooms will always be a big hit and not
> go away until some new type of outside technology comes out to bring
> more people out of their homes. Anyways, I just wanted to say that I
> love this hobby just as much as I used to. To me it does not matter of
> increased value or depletion. These historic games are awesome. :)
> Thx, Bob Volk (Bobbys World)

Anonymous
September 18, 2005 1:00:47 PM

Bob,

I agree that as long as the "arcade" generation is still alive and kicking,
someone will always be collecting. You have a great house and game room, by
the way. Check out gameroom magazine to see Bobs place.

Chris
<matrix42@sover.net> wrote in message
> Hi all. I just wanted to post a new post about this subject as there
> were 61 responses on this topic. I just wanted to say something about
> this post. Most people here don't really know me. I live in Vermont,
> with not many collectors up here. However, I used to live in New Jersey
> back from 1981 to 1986. When I came back up here to Vermont, (where my
> parents, family lives), I brought back many of my collected videos over
> those early years going to auctions, etc..... What I'm trying to say is
> that The collecting bug bit me hard back then . Enough to spend my hard
> earned money while roofing to buy these games. I believe many of us
> here were bit by that intoxicating bug at one time or another. I
> believe we are here to stay. At least for my generation anyways. My
> kids do enjoy the games, but not anything like I did back when they
> first came out. I think home gamerooms will always be a big hit and not
> go away until some new type of outside technology comes out to bring
> more people out of their homes. Anyways, I just wanted to say that I
> love this hobby just as much as I used to. To me it does not matter of
> increased value or depletion. These historic games are awesome. :)
> Thx, Bob Volk (Bobbys World)

September 18, 2005 6:38:37 PM

I agree on this one. I grew up in the arcades of the late 80's and early
90's (oddly enough most of my games are early 80's games that were just
before my time). It's weird to think younger kids today probably have little
if any experience with arcade games. Like you said as long as those of us
that grew up with arcades are around, there will still be collectors.

"cnlmoore" <cnlmoore@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Bob,
>
> I agree that as long as the "arcade" generation is still alive and
kicking,
> someone will always be collecting. You have a great house and game room,
by
> the way. Check out gameroom magazine to see Bobs place.
>
> Chris
> <matrix42@sover.net> wrote in message
> > Hi all. I just wanted to post a new post about this subject as there
> > were 61 responses on this topic. I just wanted to say something about
> > this post. Most people here don't really know me. I live in Vermont,
> > with not many collectors up here. However, I used to live in New Jersey
> > back from 1981 to 1986. When I came back up here to Vermont, (where my
> > parents, family lives), I brought back many of my collected videos over
> > those early years going to auctions, etc..... What I'm trying to say is
> > that The collecting bug bit me hard back then . Enough to spend my hard
> > earned money while roofing to buy these games. I believe many of us
> > here were bit by that intoxicating bug at one time or another. I
> > believe we are here to stay. At least for my generation anyways. My
> > kids do enjoy the games, but not anything like I did back when they
> > first came out. I think home gamerooms will always be a big hit and not
> > go away until some new type of outside technology comes out to bring
> > more people out of their homes. Anyways, I just wanted to say that I
> > love this hobby just as much as I used to. To me it does not matter of
> > increased value or depletion. These historic games are awesome. :)
> > Thx, Bob Volk (Bobbys World)

Anonymous
September 18, 2005 6:57:41 PM

I have been in home retail sales of arcade games since 1984. EVERY year,
the business grew...every month was better than the month the year
before---UNTIL 2005. Almost every month this year, especially July and most
of August, was MUCH less than 2004. The first time our business has gone
into the reverse.
I became a COLLECTOR about ten years ago...I will never sell my
collection--which started when my wife in 1994 announced I could have as
many games I wanted, but ONLY in the garage...I gutted the 2 car garage and
put in a gameroom, and then discovered that I could get more games in if
they were smaller---thus started my mini collection...I have about 35 in the
garage, but I have collected 90 dedicated mini/cabarets---now trying to find
them all!
BUT, 95% of the people out there want games in their home to PLAY, not
collect....and now I have had to succumb to the dedic ted Arcade Legends (we
are a distributor of them) and the 39 in 1 conversions---converting
Millipedes and Galaxians/Pacmans (our favorite cabinets to convert) to stay
in competition. The sales on all games not part of the classic 25 games has
all but died. As a matter of fact, there remains pretty much 5 dedicated
games that continue to sell, with all the other classics sitting and
waiting.
Last year our top three sellers were Class of 81, Ms Pacman dedictaed, and
Arcade Legends. This year, it will be Multicade (39 in 1), Arcade Legends
and Ms Pacman. The customer with the LARGE game room will buy others, but
our average customer buys 1 or 2 videos, a pinball and a shuffle
bowling...thats about all.
We have cleared our warehouses (now down to one) of all the non
sellers---you readers here know of all our posts--donated several hundred
games tom non profits and selling cheap hundreds of others. Its not worth
storing them anymore...and the occasional buyer who wants a Mat Mania puts a
deposit down and we go out and look for one. But there is now no longer a
casual buyer for Bad Dudes, Kickman, Wizard of Wor, Jailbreak, Karate Champ,
etc....they are GONE forever. But the diehard collector (me for one) will
remain as long as he has room!! Todd from www.tntamusements.com
Anonymous
September 18, 2005 8:36:04 PM

Chris. Thank you for the compliment on my gameroom. Wish more
collectors were up here in my neck of the woods. I will never sell the
games I have left. Yes, I have sold tons of games in the past, but I am
done with that. I will trade, but that's about it. Yes, I still sell
games when someone calls with one to sell to me, if I can make some
cash shopping it and reselling it. (Only to further finance my game
fetish). I agree with you all. Sadly. Almost brings a tear to my eye
Todd, when I think of all the hard work over the years, you have built
your fantastic business and now see that you have to steer away from
old games just because people just are not interested in them. Well, I
will never loose interest in these games. They will always be a part of
me. In a good way. Too bad I'm not imortal. Makes me sad to think of
what will happen to the original arcade games once we are gone. My kids
just don't care much for them. :(  Well, just want everyone to know
I'll always be here as a true collector. Those memories got me. I just
wonder how many people experienced the passion and excitement I did
back in the early 80s. Even though I had a great childhood, I think
those early 80s were maybe the best times of my life. Thx, Bob
Anonymous
September 18, 2005 10:47:36 PM

Bob, your gameroom is rediculous hehe :)  Congrats on getting the
cover of Gameroom magazine. Its a great feeling, isnt it??

Drew@Bunkercade
Anonymous
September 19, 2005 1:34:12 AM

Nice gameroom Bob! Here's a link for everybody to check it out..........

http://www.gameroommagazine.com/gm905_1.htm

Brian

> Chris. Thank you for the compliment on my gameroom. Wish more
> collectors were up here in my neck of the woods. I will never sell the
> games I have left. Yes, I have sold tons of games in the past, but I am
> done with that. I will trade, but that's about it. Yes, I still sell
> games when someone calls with one to sell to me, if I can make some
> cash shopping it and reselling it. (Only to further finance my game
> fetish). I agree with you all. Sadly. Almost brings a tear to my eye
> Todd, when I think of all the hard work over the years, you have built
> your fantastic business and now see that you have to steer away from
> old games just because people just are not interested in them. Well, I
> will never loose interest in these games. They will always be a part of
> me. In a good way. Too bad I'm not imortal. Makes me sad to think of
> what will happen to the original arcade games once we are gone. My kids
> just don't care much for them. :(  Well, just want everyone to know
> I'll always be here as a true collector. Those memories got me. I just
> wonder how many people experienced the passion and excitement I did
> back in the early 80s. Even though I had a great childhood, I think
> those early 80s were maybe the best times of my life. Thx, Bob

Anonymous
September 19, 2005 8:23:58 AM

Thanks Drew and Brian. Yah, gamerooms been alot of fun. (And work of
course), but worth it. Still need that darn Missile command cockpit we
almost struck a deal on. Too bad I'm located almost on the top of the
world. LOL. Please stop by and play some games if ever your up here
maybe skiing of something. :)  Best, Bob
Anonymous
September 19, 2005 8:34:28 AM

Drew. Congrats on your story and pictures . I really enjoyed the
article.Thats real cool having a bunker arcade. Great to know people
like us are still around. :)  Yes, its a great feeling. It took me a
long time to finally get the gameroom completed. Keep the game thing
going. Bob
Anonymous
September 19, 2005 10:23:43 AM

Hey Bob... addition came out nice! And who did the electrical for the
gameroom? Nice job there as well (ha ha) :-D

-Adam
Anonymous
September 19, 2005 10:34:27 AM

Brian Adkins wrote:
> Nice gameroom Bob! Here's a link for everybody to check it out..........
>
> http://www.gameroommagazine.com/gm905_1.htm
>
> Brian
>

> <matrix42@sover.net> wrote in message
> > Chris. Thank you for the compliment on my gameroom. Wish more
> > collectors were up here in my neck of the woods. I will never sell the
> > games I have left. Yes, I have sold tons of games in the past, but I am
> > done with that. I will trade, but that's about it. Yes, I still sell
> > games when someone calls with one to sell to me, if I can make some
> > cash shopping it and reselling it. (Only to further finance my game
> > fetish). I agree with you all. Sadly. Almost brings a tear to my eye
> > Todd, when I think of all the hard work over the years, you have built
> > your fantastic business and now see that you have to steer away from
> > old games just because people just are not interested in them. Well, I
> > will never loose interest in these games. They will always be a part of
> > me. In a good way. Too bad I'm not imortal. Makes me sad to think of
> > what will happen to the original arcade games once we are gone. My kids
> > just don't care much for them. :(  Well, just want everyone to know
> > I'll always be here as a true collector. Those memories got me. I just
> > wonder how many people experienced the passion and excitement I did
> > back in the early 80s. Even though I had a great childhood, I think
> > those early 80s were maybe the best times of my life. Thx, Bob0

Bob,
That is an awsome looking game room. Wish I had one that nice.

John
Anonymous
September 20, 2005 7:52:09 AM

Baraka wrote:
> Brian Adkins wrote:
> > Nice gameroom Bob! Here's a link for everybody to check it out..........
> >
> > http://www.gameroommagazine.com/gm905_1.htm
> >
> > Brian
> >

> > <matrix42@sover.net> wrote in message
> > > Chris. Thank you for the compliment on my gameroom. Wish more
> > > collectors were up here in my neck of the woods. I will never sell the
> > > games I have left. Yes, I have sold tons of games in the past, but I am
> > > done with that. I will trade, but that's about it. Yes, I still sell
> > > games when someone calls with one to sell to me, if I can make some
> > > cash shopping it and reselling it. (Only to further finance my game
> > > fetish). I agree with you all. Sadly. Almost brings a tear to my eye
> > > Todd, when I think of all the hard work over the years, you have built
> > > your fantastic business and now see that you have to steer away from
> > > old games just because people just are not interested in them. Well, I
> > > will never loose interest in these games. They will always be a part of
> > > me. In a good way. Too bad I'm not imortal. Makes me sad to think of
> > > what will happen to the original arcade games once we are gone. My kids
> > > just don't care much for them. :(  Well, just want everyone to know
> > > I'll always be here as a true collector. Those memories got me. I just
> > > wonder how many people experienced the passion and excitement I did
> > > back in the early 80s. Even though I had a great childhood, I think
> > > those early 80s were maybe the best times of my life. Thx, Bob0
> > >

> Bob,
> That is an awsome looking game room. Wish I had one that nice.
>
> John
Thanks again for the compliments. Stop in sometime. No real
video/pinball nuts up here really. Could use some excitement. LOL. Adam
Courshesne did all my electrical work in the basement for the Video
Arcade. He installed the 4ft blacklight ceiling fixtures, switches,
etc.... He did a WONDERFUL job.. :)  Thanks again man. Your gameroom is
really comming along from the pics I've seen. When its done, promise
you'll post some pics? Thanks everyone. Bob
Anonymous
September 20, 2005 9:23:14 AM

The true, passionate collectors will never tire of the hobby, so it
will never truly die. Like so many other people in this group, the
reason I collect games is because I want to have these games that I
loved so much in the 80s available to play any time I want to play.
I've never been about grabbing the "popular" games--for me, it's always
been about building the personal arcade of my dreams, with all of the
games I personally loved the most back in the day. And I've definitely
done that. Yeah, I have a 9-in-1 game that has some of my B-List games
on it (conserves space), but I'm generally a stickler for original
cabinets. I think that the cabinets are part of the arcade experience.
If they weren't, I'd just play the games on MAME and leave it at that.

I've never bought games just to sell them. I always figured that was a
risky investment at best. Besides, I tend to get attached to games once
they are in my arcade. Kind of like getting attached to stray puppies.
:-)

I have to admit that with gas prices topping $3.00/gallon, I am a lot
more frugal with my spare cash (and there's a lot less of it). I've
also reached the saturation point space-wise. But I am very passionate
about this hobby and I, for one, won't let it die--for me, at least. My
collection isn't going anywhere. As long as there are people who are of
the same mindset, the hobby will never go away.

-Dave Ellis
http://www.davesclassicarcade.com
Anonymous
September 20, 2005 11:01:42 PM

Bob and Drew - Congrats to both of you for being on the cover of
Gameroom. You guys have incredible gamerooms to say the least! I
wrote the "confessions" article in this month's issue - not quite the
cover, but I'll take what I can get.
Chad
Anonymous
September 21, 2005 8:27:17 AM

Chad Davis wrote:
> Bob and Drew - Congrats to both of you for being on the cover of
> Gameroom. You guys have incredible gamerooms to say the least! I
> wrote the "confessions" article in this month's issue - not quite the
> cover, but I'll take what I can get.
> Chad
This is very encouraging to hear there are more people out there that
feel the way I do. I too have always been totally into just the
dedicated cabinets. Nothing like the ORIGINAL game that was in the
arcades. :)  However, I must also admit that if I can ever come up with
the extra cash, I would like to have an ultracade here somewhere in the
home. Where? tough to say since I'm out of room, but I'm sure I could
toss out a bookshelf or two to make space. LOL. I will never however
get rid of the originals. As long as I'm alive.

Chad. Congrats to you on the article. This is so funny. After I read
the articles in last mths issue of Gameroom Mag, I told my wife that I
really enjoyed this mths entire issure. I mostly enjoyed your article.
Your memories are so vivid that it took me back to when I first started
playing the games. I must admit though that I was never really that
good at any of the games. Got pretty good on Pacman once I found a
pattern. (cheated). Anyhoo, just wanted to let you know that was a
great article. One of the most enjoyable ones I've read to date. Bob
!