Pls. help -- XP won’t boot after spyware/virus cleanup

I had the remnants of a Trojan virus on my machine.
Seemed to have gotten rid of most problems, but still there
was a bogus screen at bootup. prompting me to choose some
antivirus fix (all of this was fake).
1. I ran Ad-aware scan, found about 50 files flagged as ’malware’.
2. I quarantined them (removed them) and was not able to get
rid of 2 files: c:\windows\system32\services.exe and
c:\documents and settings\"my name"\local settings\temp\
temp.fr6a00\istsvc.exe.
3. I went into Safe mode and renamed both files .....bak.exe.
4. There was also a cab file -- counter.exe in some cab file that

was supposedly infected with the Trojan virus.
I deleted this file.

After these changes, I tried to reboot, but the machine just
stops in the boot process and never displays a desktop.

I tried again booting in safe mode, but the same thing happens:
no desktop, it just quits with a blank screen.

I tried safe mode with DOS prompt: same thing.

I tried ’boot with last working setup’: again no luck.
(I had disabled system recovery while working on removing
the virus per Norton’s instructions; had not had a chance
yet to turn recovery back on.

I am dead in the water. Does anybody know what I can do?
I do not have a real recent backup of my user files.
I cannot use the Dell recovery CD without loss of all my
files, right?? I have not done this before.

Please if you have any ideas let me know.
Thank you very much.

Anything is appreciated. (I hate to sound desperate, but
I am...and I am furious that a virus and spyware knocked
me out.)

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Help---Support-Pls-XP-won-boot-spyware-virus-cleanup-ftopict552405.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1751148
2 answers Last reply
More about boot spyware virus cleanup

    Hi

    I don't know if your Dell recovery disk will give you the option to 'Repair'
    XP. Please have a look at the following article by Michael Stevens:

    "How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install"

    Will Denny
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    Please reply to the News Groups

    "" wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > I don't know if your Dell recovery disk will give you the
    > option to 'Repair'
    > XP. Please have a look at the following article by Michael
    > Stevens:
    >
    > "How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install"

    > Will Denny
    > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    > Please reply to the News Groups
    >

    > "bigD" <UseLinkToEmail@WindowsForumz.com> wrote in message
    > >I had the remnants of a Trojan virus on my machine.
    > > Seemed to have gotten rid of most problems, but still there
    > > was a bogus screen at bootup. prompting me to choose some
    > > antivirus fix (all of this was fake).
    > > 1. I ran Ad-aware scan, found about 50 files flagged as
    > 'malware'.
    > > 2. I quarantined them (removed them) and was not able to get
    > > rid of 2 files: c:windowssystem32services.exe and
    > > c:documents and settings"my name"local settingstemp
    > > temp.fr6a00istsvc.exe.
    > > 3. I went into Safe mode and renamed both files
    > .....bak.exe.
    > > 4. There was also a cab file -- counter.exe in some cab
    > file that
    > >
    > > was supposedly infected with the Trojan virus.
    > > I deleted this file.
    > >
    > > After these changes, I tried to reboot, but the machine just
    > > stops in the boot process and never displays a desktop.
    > >
    > > I tried again booting in safe mode, but the same thing
    > happens:
    > > no desktop, it just quits with a blank screen.
    > >
    > > I tried safe mode with DOS prompt: same thing.
    > >
    > > I tried 'boot with last working setup': again no luck.
    > > (I had disabled system recovery while working on removing
    > > the virus per Norton's instructions; had not had a chance
    > > yet to turn recovery back on.
    > >
    > > I am dead in the water. Does anybody know what I can do?
    > > I do not have a real recent backup of my user files.
    > > I cannot use the Dell recovery CD without loss of all my
    > > files, right?? I have not done this before.
    > >
    > > Please if you have any ideas let me know.
    > > Thank you very much.
    > >
    > > Anything is appreciated. (I hate to sound desperate, but
    > > I am...and I am furious that a virus and spyware knocked
    > > me out.)
    > >
    > > --
    > > Posted using the http://www.windowsforumz.com interface, at author's
    > > request
    > standards
    > > Topic URL:
    > > http://www.windowsforumz.com/Help---Support-Pls-XP-won-boot-spyware-virus-cleanup-ftopict552405.html
    > > Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report
    > abuse:
    > > http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1751148

    Thanks much, Will.
    I have found the article and such that you referred me
    to.
    This looks promising. Haven’t had a chance to try it
    yet.
    I greatly appreciate your help.
    Ernest Law - Aiken, SC

Virus Windows XP