Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Pls. help -- XP won’t boot after spyware/virus cleanup

Tags:
  • Virus
  • Windows XP
Last response: in Windows XP
Share
July 2, 2005 5:35:46 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

I had the remnants of a Trojan virus on my machine.
Seemed to have gotten rid of most problems, but still there
was a bogus screen at bootup. prompting me to choose some
antivirus fix (all of this was fake).
1. I ran Ad-aware scan, found about 50 files flagged as ’malware’.
2. I quarantined them (removed them) and was not able to get
rid of 2 files: c:\windows\system32\services.exe and
c:\documents and settings\"my name"\local settings\temp\
temp.fr6a00\istsvc.exe.
3. I went into Safe mode and renamed both files .....bak.exe.
4. There was also a cab file -- counter.exe in some cab file that

was supposedly infected with the Trojan virus.
I deleted this file.

After these changes, I tried to reboot, but the machine just
stops in the boot process and never displays a desktop.

I tried again booting in safe mode, but the same thing happens:
no desktop, it just quits with a blank screen.

I tried safe mode with DOS prompt: same thing.

I tried ’boot with last working setup’: again no luck.
(I had disabled system recovery while working on removing
the virus per Norton’s instructions; had not had a chance
yet to turn recovery back on.

I am dead in the water. Does anybody know what I can do?
I do not have a real recent backup of my user files.
I cannot use the Dell recovery CD without loss of all my
files, right?? I have not done this before.

Please if you have any ideas let me know.
Thank you very much.

Anything is appreciated. (I hate to sound desperate, but
I am...and I am furious that a virus and spyware knocked
me out.)

--
Posted using the http://www.windowsforumz.com interface, at author's request
Articles individually checked for conformance to usenet standards
Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Help---Support-Pls-XP-won-...
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1751148

More about : pls wont boot spyware virus cleanup

Anonymous
July 2, 2005 10:59:14 AM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Hi

I don't know if your Dell recovery disk will give you the option to 'Repair'
XP. Please have a look at the following article by Michael Stevens:

"How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install"
http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

--

Will Denny
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
Please reply to the News Groups


"bigD" <UseLinkToEmail@WindowsForumz.com> wrote in message
news:3_1751148_8309cd51279f50690a9b8eb8fe43c83d@windowsforumz.com...
>I had the remnants of a Trojan virus on my machine.
> Seemed to have gotten rid of most problems, but still there
> was a bogus screen at bootup. prompting me to choose some
> antivirus fix (all of this was fake).
> 1. I ran Ad-aware scan, found about 50 files flagged as 'malware'.
> 2. I quarantined them (removed them) and was not able to get
> rid of 2 files: c:\windows\system32\services.exe and
> c:\documents and settings\"my name"\local settings\temp\
> temp.fr6a00\istsvc.exe.
> 3. I went into Safe mode and renamed both files .....bak.exe.
> 4. There was also a cab file -- counter.exe in some cab file that
>
> was supposedly infected with the Trojan virus.
> I deleted this file.
>
> After these changes, I tried to reboot, but the machine just
> stops in the boot process and never displays a desktop.
>
> I tried again booting in safe mode, but the same thing happens:
> no desktop, it just quits with a blank screen.
>
> I tried safe mode with DOS prompt: same thing.
>
> I tried 'boot with last working setup': again no luck.
> (I had disabled system recovery while working on removing
> the virus per Norton's instructions; had not had a chance
> yet to turn recovery back on.
>
> I am dead in the water. Does anybody know what I can do?
> I do not have a real recent backup of my user files.
> I cannot use the Dell recovery CD without loss of all my
> files, right?? I have not done this before.
>
> Please if you have any ideas let me know.
> Thank you very much.
>
> Anything is appreciated. (I hate to sound desperate, but
> I am...and I am furious that a virus and spyware knocked
> me out.)
>
> --
> Posted using the http://www.windowsforumz.com interface, at author's
> request
> Articles individually checked for conformance to usenet standards
> Topic URL:
> http://www.windowsforumz.com/Help---Support-Pls-XP-won-...
> Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse:
> http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1751148
July 3, 2005 7:36:35 PM

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

"" wrote:
> Hi
>
> I don't know if your Dell recovery disk will give you the
> option to 'Repair'
> XP. Please have a look at the following article by Michael
> Stevens:
>
> "How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install"
> http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm
>
> --
>
> Will Denny
> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
> Please reply to the News Groups
>
>
> "bigD" <UseLinkToEmail@WindowsForumz.com> wrote in message
> news:3_1751148_8309cd51279f50690a9b8eb8fe43c83d@windowsforumz.com...
> >I had the remnants of a Trojan virus on my machine.
> > Seemed to have gotten rid of most problems, but still there
> > was a bogus screen at bootup. prompting me to choose some
> > antivirus fix (all of this was fake).
> > 1. I ran Ad-aware scan, found about 50 files flagged as
> 'malware'.
> > 2. I quarantined them (removed them) and was not able to get
> > rid of 2 files: c:windowssystem32services.exe and
> > c:D ocuments and settings"my name"local settingstemp
> > temp.fr6a00istsvc.exe.
> > 3. I went into Safe mode and renamed both files
> .....bak.exe.
> > 4. There was also a cab file -- counter.exe in some cab
> file that
> >
> > was supposedly infected with the Trojan virus.
> > I deleted this file.
> >
> > After these changes, I tried to reboot, but the machine just
> > stops in the boot process and never displays a desktop.
> >
> > I tried again booting in safe mode, but the same thing
> happens:
> > no desktop, it just quits with a blank screen.
> >
> > I tried safe mode with DOS prompt: same thing.
> >
> > I tried 'boot with last working setup': again no luck.
> > (I had disabled system recovery while working on removing
> > the virus per Norton's instructions; had not had a chance
> > yet to turn recovery back on.
> >
> > I am dead in the water. Does anybody know what I can do?
> > I do not have a real recent backup of my user files.
> > I cannot use the Dell recovery CD without loss of all my
> > files, right?? I have not done this before.
> >
> > Please if you have any ideas let me know.
> > Thank you very much.
> >
> > Anything is appreciated. (I hate to sound desperate, but
> > I am...and I am furious that a virus and spyware knocked
> > me out.)
> >
> > --
> > Posted using the http://www.windowsforumz.com interface, at author's
> > request
> > Articles individually checked for conformance to usenet
> standards
> > Topic URL:
> > http://www.windowsforumz.com/Help---Support-Pls-XP-won-...
> > Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report
> abuse:
> > http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1751148

Thanks much, Will.
I have found the article and such that you referred me
to.
This looks promising. Haven’t had a chance to try it
yet.
I greatly appreciate your help.
Ernest Law - Aiken, SC
!