$1500 Gaming Laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emelth

Distinguished
1. What is your budget?
$1500

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
17"

3. What screen resolution do you want?
IDC

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
Portable Gaming powerhouse :p

5. How much battery life do you need?
Mostly gonna be plugged in so doesnt matter

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
Mostly WoW, but I do also have Borderlands 2, Dragon Age 2 and a couple other RPGs would like to play them on High settings

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)
nothing really special

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?
500GB should do the trick I got portable HDDs for my movies and what not

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?
2-3 Years

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
No Bluray

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
IDC

13. What country do you live in?
USA

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.

Emelth

Distinguished
I like the MSI GT Series GT70 more than the other you picked up because it has a bigger screen. Most MMOs and RPGs are CPU heavy with the i5 still it will kick ass. The i7 would be great but its truly not needed.

Now I was looking around online found a website:
www.malibal.com

It has custom built gaming laptops, is this a good deal website or overpriced? What are some other websites that are preferred?

pockeg

Honorable
Apr 11, 2012

Emelth

Distinguished
Was checking out the xotic site, i can speak desktop but not laptop language.

Whats with Professional Color Calibration, what the heck does it do?

Does it help to get a better wireless network component seeing as this laptop will be on wifi majority of the time

pockeg

Honorable
Apr 11, 2012
hey so color calibration means they will pre calibrate your screen to their specific parameters, theoreticaly this should make your screen look better but you can do this yourself and i think calibrations are a personal taste kind of thing. when i say calibrate i mean they change the contrast/brightness/hue to what they think looks good. I can not say personally on the wifi front, i do believe the gain from the generic wireless adapter to any other for gaming wont make that big a difference, just aim to keep your budget low and get the best gpu/cpu combo, any extra cash go for an SSD.

pockeg

Honorable
Apr 11, 2012
yes HDD, you will want a primary HDD for all your movies pictures and other data that don't require high bandwidth. the rest such as your favorite games and the Operating system go on to the SSD to make everything faster and smoother. With the SSD and the i7 your pc should boot to windows in about 10 seconds or less which is really nice. Especially if you are an rpg player you will want an SSD since it decreases the load times significantly especially in a game like WoW.
As a personal note i would go with a 64gb-120gb SSD and a nice big 7200rpm hard drive wit at least 500gb of space but then again that's just me ( :

pockeg

Honorable
Apr 11, 2012
Hey Emelth was just reading through your post again and you mentioned you have an external HDD, maybe for you it would be worth it to have a bigger SSD and no HDD. Though if you plan to go this route go for an SSD of at least 256GB for i have found that the smaller ones will die fast and get slower faster. Especially when you use it as your main drive. SSD have a life span plus perform slower if they are full of data much like an HDD, so try to keep a good few GB free. So make sure to calculate how much space you will need for your games and/or future games and then pull the trigger. Enjoy mate, and good luck with your purchase!

Status
Not open for further replies.