Logical Disk Manager fails to start

July 2, 2005 3:46:46 AM

I am running WinXP SP2, fully patched. Recently, I started having problems
with Office (2003 Pro), where I either couldn't get apps to start at all, or
I couldn't open files after I launched the app. I started out trying to
repair office, then ran the Windows Memory Diagnostic tool to make sure it
wasn't a RAM problem, then started trying to run check disk to see if I had
a hard drive failure. Well, when I went into Computer Management and
attempted to launch Disk Management, I got an error. The first error
indicated that the LDM remote tool was being blocked by the firewall, so I
needed to add it as an exception to the firewall rule. After doing that, I
got an error that the RPC port was being blocked by the firewall, and I
needed to add an exception for that. After doing that I continuously get a
"Server execution failed" message every time I try to launch LDM. This error
message coincides with an entry in the System event log which reads:

"Event Type: Error
Event Source: DCOM
Event Category: None
Event ID: 10010
Date: 7/1/2005
Time: 11:34:27 PM
User: Me
Computer: My 'Puter
The server {D485DDC0-49C6-11D1-8E56-00A0C92C9D5D} did not register with DCOM
within the required timeout.

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp."

Clicking the link gets me nothing - the browser doesn't even launch.I've
googled this, and everything talks about DCOM not being properly configured,
so I've walked through and set it as recommended. Still no workee! Any
suggestions? TIAFAH! - Pat
Anonymous
July 2, 2005 11:46:14 AM

To repair all system files, go to Start/Run, and type: SFC /SCANNOW

--
Mark L. Ferguson
"PW" <patDOTwhitted@comcastDOTnet> wrote in message news:V_OdnfZKX-fOpVvfRVn-3A@comcast.com...
>I am running WinXP SP2, fully patched. Recently, I started having problems with Office (2003 Pro), where I either couldn't get apps
>to start at all, or I couldn't open files after I launched the app. I started out trying to repair office, then ran the Windows
>Memory Diagnostic tool to make sure it wasn't a RAM problem, then started trying to run check disk to see if I had a hard drive
>failure. Well, when I went into Computer Management and attempted to launch Disk Management, I got an error. The first error
>indicated that the LDM remote tool was being blocked by the firewall, so I needed to add it as an exception to the firewall rule.
>After doing that, I got an error that the RPC port was being blocked by the firewall, and I needed to add an exception for that.
>After doing that I continuously get a "Server execution failed" message every time I try to launch LDM. This error message
>coincides with an entry in the System event log which reads:
>
> "Event Type: Error
> Event Source: DCOM
> Event Category: None
> Event ID: 10010
> Date: 7/1/2005
> Time: 11:34:27 PM
> User: Me
> Computer: My 'Puter
> The server {D485DDC0-49C6-11D1-8E56-00A0C92C9D5D} did not register with DCOM within the required timeout.
>
> For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp."
>
> Clicking the link gets me nothing - the browser doesn't even launch.I've googled this, and everything talks about DCOM not being
> properly configured, so I've walked through and set it as recommended. Still no workee! Any suggestions? TIAFAH! - Pat

Anonymous
July 2, 2005 9:36:48 PM

Thanks for the tip, Mark. Unfortunately, that hasn't solved my problem! -
Pat

"Mark L. Ferguson" <marfer_mvpREMOVE@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> To repair all system files, go to Start/Run, and type: SFC /SCANNOW
>
> --
> Mark L. Ferguson
> FAQ for Windows Antispy
> "PW" <patDOTwhitted@comcastDOTnet> wrote in message
>>I am running WinXP SP2, fully patched. Recently, I started having problems
>>with Office (2003 Pro), where I either couldn't get apps to start at all,
>>or I couldn't open files after I launched the app. I started out trying to
>>repair office, then ran the Windows Memory Diagnostic tool to make sure it
>>wasn't a RAM problem, then started trying to run check disk to see if I
>>had a hard drive failure. Well, when I went into Computer Management and
>>attempted to launch Disk Management, I got an error. The first error
>>indicated that the LDM remote tool was being blocked by the firewall, so I
>>needed to add it as an exception to the firewall rule. After doing that, I
>>got an error that the RPC port was being blocked by the firewall, and I
>>needed to add an exception for that. After doing that I continuously get a
>>"Server execution failed" message every time I try to launch LDM. This
>>error message coincides with an entry in the System event log which reads:
>>
>> "Event Type: Error
>> Event Source: DCOM
>> Event Category: None
>> Event ID: 10010
>> Date: 7/1/2005
>> Time: 11:34:27 PM
>> User: Me
>> Computer: My 'Puter
>> The server {D485DDC0-49C6-11D1-8E56-00A0C92C9D5D} did not register with
>> DCOM within the required timeout.

>> http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp."
>>
>> Clicking the link gets me nothing - the browser doesn't even launch.I've
>> googled this, and everything talks about DCOM not being properly
>> configured, so I've walked through and set it as recommended. Still no
>> workee! Any suggestions? TIAFAH! - Pat

July 3, 2005 10:57:17 AM

If you next try an Upgrade, or Repair setup, and it fails, I would guess you are running some app that in incompaitble with XP. You
could try "Compatibility Mode" for that app.

If you run an XP "Upgrade"setup, from the original, or "Gold" version of the setup CD, and you have SP2 installed, it might go into
a setup loop, and you could lose your install. Uninstall SP2, BEFORE you Upgrade setup from CD (that lacks sp2 on it.)
875350 - How to remove Windows XP Service Pack 2 from your computer: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=875350

How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install: http://michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

HOW TO Use the Program Compatibility Wizard (Q301911) http://support.microsoft.com/directory/article.asp?ID=K...;EN-US;Q301911 Go to
Start/All Programs/Accessories/"Program Compatibility Wizard"

or try the "Application Compatibility Toolkit"
http://www.msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/...

--
Mark L. Ferguson
"PW" <patDOTwhitted@comcastDOTnet> wrote in message news:f4GdnTR6--6ArlrfRVn-rA@comcast.com...
> Thanks for the tip, Mark. Unfortunately, that hasn't solved my problem! - Pat
>
> "Mark L. Ferguson" <marfer_mvpREMOVE@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:%23A$gMQwfFHA.3940@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...
>> To repair all system files, go to Start/Run, and type: SFC /SCANNOW
>>
>> --
>> Mark L. Ferguson
>> FAQ for Windows Antispy http://www.geocities.com/marfer_mvp/FAQ_MSantispy.htm
>> "PW" <patDOTwhitted@comcastDOTnet> wrote in message news:V_OdnfZKX-fOpVvfRVn-3A@comcast.com...
>>>I am running WinXP SP2, fully patched. Recently, I started having problems with Office (2003 Pro), where I either couldn't get
>>>apps to start at all, or I couldn't open files after I launched the app. I started out trying to repair office, then ran the
>>>Windows Memory Diagnostic tool to make sure it wasn't a RAM problem, then started trying to run check disk to see if I had a hard
>>>drive failure. Well, when I went into Computer Management and attempted to launch Disk Management, I got an error. The first
>>>error indicated that the LDM remote tool was being blocked by the firewall, so I needed to add it as an exception to the firewall
>>>rule. After doing that, I got an error that the RPC port was being blocked by the firewall, and I needed to add an exception for
>>>that. After doing that I continuously get a "Server execution failed" message every time I try to launch LDM. This error message
>>>coincides with an entry in the System event log which reads:
>>>
>>> "Event Type: Error
>>> Event Source: DCOM
>>> Event Category: None
>>> Event ID: 10010
>>> Date: 7/1/2005
>>> Time: 11:34:27 PM
>>> User: Me
>>> Computer: My 'Puter
>>> The server {D485DDC0-49C6-11D1-8E56-00A0C92C9D5D} did not register with DCOM within the required timeout.
>>>
>>> For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp."
>>>
>>> Clicking the link gets me nothing - the browser doesn't even launch.I've googled this, and everything talks about DCOM not being
>>> properly configured, so I've walked through and set it as recommended. Still no workee! Any suggestions? TIAFAH! - Pat

Anonymous
July 3, 2005 4:02:32 PM

Mark,

The link you provided for the Application Compatiblity Tool is no good. It
brings you to a page that says the page has been moved, and click here. That
link takes you to a page about Active Directory, with nothing about Windows
app compatability. So, drilling down from the Windows XP menu in the left
nav, I got to another link for Application Compatibility Toolkit 4.0 , but
that link returns "The download you requested is unavailable. If you
continue to see this message when trying to access this download, go to the
"Search for a Download" area on the Download Center home page." Any other
ideas on where I could get this tool? Thanks! - Pat

> If you next try an Upgrade, or Repair setup, and it fails, I would guess
> you are running some app that in incompaitble with XP. You could try
> "Compatibility Mode" for that app.
>
> If you run an XP "Upgrade"setup, from the original, or "Gold" version of
> the setup CD, and you have SP2 installed, it might go into a setup loop,
> and you could lose your install. Uninstall SP2, BEFORE you Upgrade setup
> from CD (that lacks sp2 on it.)
> 875350 - How to remove Windows XP Service Pack 2 from your computer:
>
> How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install:
> http://michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm
>
> HOW TO Use the Program Compatibility Wizard (Q301911)
> http://support.microsoft.com/directory/article.asp?ID=K...;EN-US;Q301911 Go
> to Start/All Programs/Accessories/"Program Compatibility Wizard"
>
> or try the "Application Compatibility Toolkit"
> http://www.msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/...
>
> --
> Mark L. Ferguson
> FAQ for Windows Antispy
> "PW" <patDOTwhitted@comcastDOTnet> wrote in message
>> Thanks for the tip, Mark. Unfortunately, that hasn't solved my problem! -
>> Pat
>>
>> "Mark L. Ferguson" <marfer_mvpREMOVE@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>> To repair all system files, go to Start/Run, and type: SFC /SCANNOW
>>>
>>> --
>>> Mark L. Ferguson
>>> FAQ for Windows Antispy
>>> http://www.geocities.com/marfer_mvp/FAQ_MSantispy.htm
>>> "PW" <patDOTwhitted@comcastDOTnet> wrote in message

Anonymous
July 3, 2005 6:06:47 PM

No, that was the last location I know of.

--
Mark L. Ferguson
"PW" <patDOTwhitted@comcastDOTnet> wrote in message news:A8adnegnVZLYq1XfRVn-hw@comcast.com...
> Mark,
>
> The link you provided for the Application Compatiblity Tool is no good. It brings you to a page that says the page has been moved,
> and click here. That link takes you to a page about Active Directory, with nothing about Windows app compatability. So, drilling
> down from the Windows XP menu in the left nav, I got to another link for Application Compatibility Toolkit 4.0 , but that link
> returns "The download you requested is unavailable. If you continue to see this message when trying to access this download, go to
> the "Search for a Download" area on the Download Center home page." Any other ideas on where I could get this tool? Thanks! - Pat
>

> "Mark L. Ferguson" <marfer_mvpREMOVE@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:uOj1hZ8fFHA.3936@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
>> If you next try an Upgrade, or Repair setup, and it fails, I would guess you are running some app that in incompaitble with XP.
>> You could try "Compatibility Mode" for that app.
>>
>> If you run an XP "Upgrade"setup, from the original, or "Gold" version of the setup CD, and you have SP2 installed, it might go
>> into a setup loop, and you could lose your install. Uninstall SP2, BEFORE you Upgrade setup from CD (that lacks sp2 on it.)
>> 875350 - How to remove Windows XP Service Pack 2 from your computer: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=875350
>>
>> How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install: http://michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm
>>
>> HOW TO Use the Program Compatibility Wizard (Q301911) http://support.microsoft.com/directory/article.asp?ID=K...;EN-US;Q301911 Go
>> to Start/All Programs/Accessories/"Program Compatibility Wizard"
>>
>> or try the "Application Compatibility Toolkit"
>> http://www.msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/...
>>
>> --
>> Mark L. Ferguson
>> FAQ for Windows Antispy http://www.geocities.com/marfer_mvp/FAQ_MSantispy.htm
>> "PW" <patDOTwhitted@comcastDOTnet> wrote in message news:f4GdnTR6--6ArlrfRVn-rA@comcast.com...
>>> Thanks for the tip, Mark. Unfortunately, that hasn't solved my problem! - Pat

September 6, 2010 7:05:17 AM

Another problem with no solution at all. Why not clean these out?
!