Sonic DVDit! and other DVD software

curious

I am planning to buy a Dell with a DVD burner. The configuration
shows two options, with and without Sonic DVDit!

16X DVD+/-RW w/ Sonic RecordNow! Deluxe plus, CyberLink PowerDVD [add
$70 or $1/month]

16X DVD+/-RW w/ Sonic RecordNow! Deluxe,Sonic DVDit! SE,CyberLink
PowerDVD [add $120 or $3/month]

Is it worth the extra $50 for DVDit!? I plan on using the DVD writer
for both backing up data and burning the occasional downloaded video
(Divx, mpg) to play on a set top DVD player.

Or to put it another way, what's the difference between Sonic
RecordNow! Deluxe, Sonic DVDit! and CyberLink PowerDVD? Do I need all
three?

Thanks,

Curious Buyer

What I did was buy an OEM version of Nero 6 Ultra (got it free-and paid
$7 s&h) upgraded at the Nero site to 6.6 and paid $25 to unlock the DVD
and SVCD capture (plug-in).

Brad

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I would go to ebay and get NERO 6 for next to nothing....
Brad

Curious wrote:

> I am planning to buy a Dell with a DVD burner. The configuration
> shows two options, with and without Sonic DVDit!
>
> 16X DVD+/-RW w/ Sonic RecordNow! Deluxe plus, CyberLink PowerDVD [add
> $70 or $1/month]
>
> 16X DVD+/-RW w/ Sonic RecordNow! Deluxe,Sonic DVDit! SE,CyberLink
> PowerDVD [add $120 or $3/month]
>
> Is it worth the extra $50 for DVDit!? I plan on using the DVD writer
> for both backing up data and burning the occasional downloaded video
> (Divx, mpg) to play on a set top DVD player.
>
> Or to put it another way, what's the difference between Sonic
> RecordNow! Deluxe, Sonic DVDit! and CyberLink PowerDVD? Do I need all
> three?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Curious Buyer

Brad

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I got mime for about $10.00 shipped, it was the latest (at the time) OEM
version Nero 6.6.0.8, didn't have to pay anything to unlock a plug-in....

braine_dead@lycos.com wrote:
> What I did was buy an OEM version of Nero 6 Ultra (got it free-and paid
> $7 s&h) upgraded at the Nero site to 6.6 and paid $25 to unlock the DVD
> and SVCD capture (plug-in).

Sonic RecordNow! Deluxe is CD authoring software
Sonic DVDit! is DVD authoring software
CyberLink PowerDVD is DVD playing software

Curious wrote:

> I am planning to buy a Dell with a DVD burner. The configuration
> shows two options, with and without Sonic DVDit!
>
> 16X DVD+/-RW w/ Sonic RecordNow! Deluxe plus, CyberLink PowerDVD [add
> $70 or $1/month]
>
> 16X DVD+/-RW w/ Sonic RecordNow! Deluxe,Sonic DVDit! SE,CyberLink
> PowerDVD [add $120 or $3/month]
>
> Is it worth the extra $50 for DVDit!? I plan on using the DVD writer
> for both backing up data and burning the occasional downloaded video
> (Divx, mpg) to play on a set top DVD player.
>
> Or to put it another way, what's the difference between Sonic
> RecordNow! Deluxe, Sonic DVDit! and CyberLink PowerDVD? Do I need all
> three?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Curious Buyer

Nero is my favorite Windows cd/dvd recording software. I'm not sure what
the legality is with buying the OEM version by itself, but honestly its
good software and worth the price.

Brad, the OEM version will not capture to DVD without the plug-in.
You can burn DVDs...but Nero VisionExpress 3 is not fully functional.