Installation of old hard drive

I have a new computer with xp. I have a hard drive from nonfunctional
previous computer. The hard drive is partioned into C: and D:, C: containg
program files and Windows 2000 OS, and D: containg data - music, text, etc.
The disk is formated with NTFS. New computer has hard drive as C: and a CD
as D:. I want to install old drive into new computer; transfer old D:'s
data on to new C:; and then reformat old hard drive and use as a drive to
keep a backup of irreplaceable files. Any suggestions on how to do this
without conflicts and major crash?
2 answers Last reply
More about installation hard drive

    Just disconnect your CD Rom drive, connect your hard drive to its IDE cable
    (second bus best) and power connector ... Boot your pc (BIOS IDE on auto,
    probably it's already default) and the in windows explorer just copy the
    files to your disk and use the Computer Managemant Console to repartition /
    format the disk). When you're done disconnect the hard drive and reconnect
    your cd-rom.
    You don't have to worry about jumper settings on your drives and you can
    leave the hard disk on a staple cd's or books so you don't need to use extra
    long cables or start bolting. Just make sure your virusscanner is up to date
    and running, cause you never know what's on the hard disk.

    M. Vaillant

    "Michel Vaillant" <mister.tux@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > Just disconnect your CD Rom drive, connect your hard drive to its IDE
    > cable
    > (second bus best) and power connector ... Boot your pc (BIOS IDE on auto,
    > probably it's already default) and the in windows explorer just copy the
    > files to your disk and use the Computer Managemant Console to repartition
    > /
    > format the disk). When you're done disconnect the hard drive and reconnect
    > your cd-rom.
    > You don't have to worry about jumper settings on your drives and you can
    > leave the hard disk on a staple cd's or books so you don't need to use
    > extra
    > long cables or start bolting. Just make sure your virusscanner is up to
    > date
    > and running, cause you never know what's on the hard disk.
    >
    > M. Vaillant

    Jim:
    Michel's recommendations are basically sound, but let me flesh it out a
    bit...

    You've indicated that you plan to use the old HD as a backup drive and
    install it in your new computer. So it will be necessary that the jumper
    setting on that drive is set correctly. You didn't indicate what other
    drives are installed on your new computer (excepting its HD of course). If
    you will be installing the old drive as a slave to your working HD, then you
    should make certain the old drive is jumpered as Slave. You can, if you
    wish, also connect the old drive as Secondary Master or Secondary Slave.
    Just make sure the jumper is set correctly depending upon what configuration
    you choose. (I'm assuming in all this that your present configuration is
    *not* a Cable Select one. If it is, you will, of course, need to set your
    drive to CS and make sure that you've connected it to the appropriate
    connector of your IDE cable).

    After the old drive is properly connected, boot up and access Windows
    Explorer. The old drive and its contents should be reflected there. Move
    whatever data files you want from the old drive to the new one. Note that
    you probably won't be able to successfully move *programs* from the old
    drive to the new one. In most cases you'll need the program's installation
    media to install the program on your new computer's drive. But sometimes it
    does work for more-or-less trivial programs.

    After you've copied whatever files you want from the old disk to the new
    one, access XP's Disk Management utility (Start > right-click My Computer >
    Manage > Disk Management). If you've correctly connected/configured the old
    drive it will be reflected there. As Michel has stated, you can use that
    utility to format the old drive and multi-partition it if you want. Use the
    Help screens to walk you through the process.
    Anna

Computers Hard Drives Windows XP