Geforce 256 SDR

G

Anyone know what settings should be in Geforce display advanced properties, for Quake III ? I cant find anyone who knows and I really cant find the info. any where.

Thanx much !

G

Settings? Let me see.. I posted last night about how my system performs with a lowly Celeron 550. First of all, what kind of OS do you use? Generally, Win98 is faster than others, but not all the time. Second, your settings depend your cpu. For open GL, I check the top two boxes (Enable buffer region technique and Allow the dual planes extension to use local video memory--That's it!) I use desktop color depth (32-bit)I use Auto-select in buffer flipping mode. I disable Vertical sync, but I have seen no real difference in performance. I don't enable any anti-aliasing--My cpu does not have the strength for it, but I might try it with a 1Ghz. I use 5 MB of system memory for textures in PCI mode, whatever the heck that means. I use tri-linear mode. I have tried these at factory core and memory settings. By over clocking to a 108 Mhz bus, I gain 3fps, but a little instability. I have clocked to 605 MHz, and the fps goes only higher, but so does the instability. I have to admit that I don't plan on upgrading the vid card for my BP6 system since it is already performing more than adequately. Good luck!

G

Well first of all thanks for responding....I have a PIII 800 with 256 Ram ,Win98SE and the above card with 32 megs.

Thanx again.

G

PIII-800? I'm jealous. Have you checked your fps yet?

3dRaul

G

I did check it in Quake III using the timedemo 1 and got about 75 fps with all openGl options off in advanced properties appelet...now with a few options on in Opengl it was about 70 to 71 fps. I dont know if thats alright or not.

Thanx

G

That depends...70fps is pretty good for high resolutions 32 bit. I got nearly 75 fps at 800x600 for high quality, but only 55 at 1024x768. That's for Win 2k. Strangely, Win98 does 71 and 61 respectively. If you're only getting 71 to 75 at 1024x768, I would say that's okay...but it seems a little slow. What drivers are you using? I installed Det 3 6.31s after a fresh install of both OSes.

G

Yes im using 800X600 every Q3 setting on highest settings. I turned all opengl settings of in Geforce applet off and it gave me 4-5 fps and I dont notice any difference in video quality.Im using Win98 se.

Thanx

G

Okay, that is slow...I wonder, how much memory do you have? Is it PC100 or PC133? Is your FSB 100 or 133? Do you have an ATA33, 66, or 100 hard drive? How many applications are you running when you tried quake3 demo? control-alt-delete tells all... Your processor is 250 MHz faster. Your frames should be faster, not the same as mine. I confess--I am at a loss to explain this. One last question: Are your frames lagging when you play at the high quality setting (800x600)?

G

I have 256 Sdram 100 mhz and really not sure of the H.D. The frames are not lagging at 800X600.I allocate 3/4 my ram for QIII . Applications are Gamespy,Explorer,Acrord32,Em_exe,Hidserv,Systray,Speedkey.

Thanx for your time.

G

Turn you vertical sync off. That way you aren't limited by you monitors refresh rate.

G

Your frames are interesting to say the least. Why is it that your's is the same as mine? Part of the reason must lie with the factor that I am lucky. I rechecked the bios just to make sure I wasn't overclocking my AGP. I am not, thank goodness. I just have a hard time uderstanding why . Hardware central did a comparison between the ne cCO Celeron onverclocked to 945 MHz and a Duron overclocked to 904 w/ a 113 bus (I think). Results were not that much better with the same card. However, at lower resolutions I get spanked. I don't know if my system could ever reach 100 unless some things were turned all the way off. About the comparison... It seems that the Celeron isn't that mismatched once the FSB gets a boost, which makes me wonder what it will be like at the 133 MHz FSB (8x133=1066!)Hopefully, it will be cheap thrills. Too bad Intel locks those multipliers.