Launching Browser within Outlook

I restored my laptop after a crash and re-installed everything. About the
only new program I added was the beta version of MS Anti-Spyware. Whether
it's that, or some setting I'm missing either in XP or Outlook, I can no
longer open my browser from within Outlook ... including not only links, but
online help, etc. Can anyone point me in the right direction?
10 answers Last reply
More about launching browser outlook

    Hi

    Try this:

    With Outlook closed run the following command from Start>Run:

    regsvr32 urlmon.dll

    Then open Internet Explorer and go to Tools>Internet Options>Programs and
    click on 'Reset Web Settings...'. Try the links in Outlook again then.

    --

    Will Denny
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    "salzmun" <salzmun@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I restored my laptop after a crash and re-installed everything. About the
    > only new program I added was the beta version of MS Anti-Spyware. Whether
    > it's that, or some setting I'm missing either in XP or Outlook, I can no
    > longer open my browser from within Outlook ... including not only links,
    > but
    > online help, etc. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

    Thanks for the response Denny. I got an error message stating:
    LoadLibrary ("urimon.dll") failed - The specified module could not be found.
    Any next step thoughts?

    "Will Denny" wrote:

    > Hi
    >
    > Try this:
    >
    > With Outlook closed run the following command from Start>Run:
    >
    > regsvr32 urlmon.dll
    >
    > Then open Internet Explorer and go to Tools>Internet Options>Programs and
    > click on 'Reset Web Settings...'. Try the links in Outlook again then.
    >
    > --
    >
    > Will Denny
    > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    > Please reply to the News Groups
    >

    > "salzmun" <salzmun@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >I restored my laptop after a crash and re-installed everything. About the
    > > only new program I added was the beta version of MS Anti-Spyware. Whether
    > > it's that, or some setting I'm missing either in XP or Outlook, I can no
    > > longer open my browser from within Outlook ... including not only links,
    > > but
    > > online help, etc. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

    Hi

    The command should be

    regsvr32 urlmon.dll

    not urimon.dll - that is why you saw the error message. Copy and paste the
    command - see if that works.

    --

    > Thanks for the response Denny. I got an error message stating:
    > LoadLibrary ("urimon.dll") failed - The specified module could not be
    > found.
    > Any next step thoughts?
    >
    > "Will Denny" wrote:
    >
    >> Hi
    >>
    >> Try this:
    >>
    >> With Outlook closed run the following command from Start>Run:
    >>
    >> regsvr32 urlmon.dll
    >>
    >> Then open Internet Explorer and go to Tools>Internet Options>Programs and
    >> click on 'Reset Web Settings...'. Try the links in Outlook again then.
    >>
    >> --
    >>
    >> Will Denny
    >> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >> Please reply to the News Groups
    >>

    >> "salzmun" <salzmun@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> >I restored my laptop after a crash and re-installed everything. About
    >> >the
    >> > only new program I added was the beta version of MS Anti-Spyware.
    >> > Whether
    >> > it's that, or some setting I'm missing either in XP or Outlook, I can
    >> > no
    >> > longer open my browser from within Outlook ... including not only
    >> > links,
    >> > but
    >> > online help, etc. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

    Sorry Will, I can read but can't type this morning. Duh! I ran the command
    successfully, but with no impact on opening the browser from inside Outlook.
    I tried re-booting, with no better results. I've re-set my Internet security
    from custom to Medium, again with no luck. I've turned off Pop-up blocker
    with no luck. Any other ideas?

    "Will Denny" wrote:

    > Hi
    >
    > The command should be
    >
    > regsvr32 urlmon.dll
    >
    > not urimon.dll - that is why you saw the error message. Copy and paste the
    > command - see if that works.
    >
    > --
    >
    > Will Denny
    > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    > Please reply to the News Groups
    >

    > "salzmun" <salzmun@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Thanks for the response Denny. I got an error message stating:
    > > LoadLibrary ("urimon.dll") failed - The specified module could not be
    > > found.
    > > Any next step thoughts?
    > >
    > > "Will Denny" wrote:
    > >
    > >> Hi
    > >>
    > >> Try this:
    > >>
    > >> With Outlook closed run the following command from Start>Run:
    > >>
    > >> regsvr32 urlmon.dll
    > >>
    > >> Then open Internet Explorer and go to Tools>Internet Options>Programs and
    > >> click on 'Reset Web Settings...'. Try the links in Outlook again then.
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >>
    > >> Will Denny
    > >> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    > >> Please reply to the News Groups
    > >>

    > >> "salzmun" <salzmun@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    Hi

    Try typing each of the following from Start>Run

    regsvr32 actxprxy.dll
    regsvr32 shdocvw.dll

    --

    > Sorry Will, I can read but can't type this morning. Duh! I ran the
    > command
    > successfully, but with no impact on opening the browser from inside
    > Outlook.
    > I tried re-booting, with no better results. I've re-set my Internet
    > security
    > from custom to Medium, again with no luck. I've turned off Pop-up blocker
    > with no luck. Any other ideas?
    >
    > "Will Denny" wrote:
    >
    >> Hi
    >>
    >> The command should be
    >>
    >> regsvr32 urlmon.dll
    >>
    >> not urimon.dll - that is why you saw the error message. Copy and paste
    >> the
    >> command - see if that works.
    >>
    >> --
    >>
    >> Will Denny
    >> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >> Please reply to the News Groups
    >>

    >> "salzmun" <salzmun@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > Thanks for the response Denny. I got an error message stating:
    >> > LoadLibrary ("urimon.dll") failed - The specified module could not be
    >> > found.
    >> > Any next step thoughts?

    Did it ... still no luck. I really appreciate you trying to help! Thanks

    "Will Denny" wrote:

    > Hi
    >
    > Try typing each of the following from Start>Run
    >

    > regsvr32 actxprxy.dll
    > regsvr32 shdocvw.dll
    >

    > --
    >
    > Will Denny
    > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    > Please reply to the News Groups
    >

    > "salzmun" <salzmun@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Sorry Will, I can read but can't type this morning. Duh! I ran the
    > > command
    > > successfully, but with no impact on opening the browser from inside
    > > Outlook.
    > > I tried re-booting, with no better results. I've re-set my Internet
    > > security
    > > from custom to Medium, again with no luck. I've turned off Pop-up blocker
    > > with no luck. Any other ideas?
    > >
    > > "Will Denny" wrote:
    > >
    > >> Hi
    > >>
    > >> The command should be
    > >>
    > >> regsvr32 urlmon.dll
    > >>
    > >> not urimon.dll - that is why you saw the error message. Copy and paste
    > >> the
    > >> command - see if that works.
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >>
    > >> Will Denny
    > >> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    > >> Please reply to the News Groups
    > >>

    > >> "salzmun" <salzmun@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    Hi

    If none of the following work, you'll perhaps have to try the Outlook News
    Group:

    regsvr32 Mshtml.dll
    regsvr32 Oleaut32.dll
    regsvr32 Shell32.dll

    --

    > Did it ... still no luck. I really appreciate you trying to help! Thanks
    >
    > "Will Denny" wrote:
    >
    >> Hi
    >>
    >> Try typing each of the following from Start>Run
    >>

    >> regsvr32 actxprxy.dll
    >> regsvr32 shdocvw.dll
    >>

    >> --
    >>
    >> Will Denny
    >> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >> Please reply to the News Groups
    >>

    >> "salzmun" <salzmun@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > Sorry Will, I can read but can't type this morning. Duh! I ran the
    >> > command
    >> > successfully, but with no impact on opening the browser from inside
    >> > Outlook.
    >> > I tried re-booting, with no better results. I've re-set my Internet
    >> > security
    >> > from custom to Medium, again with no luck. I've turned off Pop-up
    >> > blocker
    >> > with no luck. Any other ideas?

    Thanks again for trying to help. None of them did the job, so I'm off to the
    Outlook News Group.

    "Will Denny" wrote:

    > Hi
    >
    > If none of the following work, you'll perhaps have to try the Outlook News
    > Group:
    >
    > regsvr32 Mshtml.dll
    > regsvr32 Oleaut32.dll
    > regsvr32 Shell32.dll
    >
    > --
    >
    > Will Denny
    > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    > Please reply to the News Groups
    >

    > "salzmun" <salzmun@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Did it ... still no luck. I really appreciate you trying to help! Thanks
    > >
    > > "Will Denny" wrote:
    > >
    > >> Hi
    > >>
    > >> Try typing each of the following from Start>Run
    > >>

    > >> regsvr32 actxprxy.dll
    > >> regsvr32 shdocvw.dll
    > >>

    > >> --
    > >>
    > >> Will Denny
    > >> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    > >> Please reply to the News Groups
    > >>

    > >> "salzmun" <salzmun@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

    Sorry, I've got no other options - best of luck.

    --

    > Thanks again for trying to help. None of them did the job, so I'm off to
    > the
    > Outlook News Group.
    >
    > "Will Denny" wrote:
    >
    >> Hi
    >>
    >> If none of the following work, you'll perhaps have to try the Outlook
    >> News
    >> Group:
    >>
    >> regsvr32 Mshtml.dll
    >> regsvr32 Oleaut32.dll
    >> regsvr32 Shell32.dll
    >>
    >> --
    >>
    >> Will Denny
    >> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >> Please reply to the News Groups
    >>

    >> "salzmun" <salzmun@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > Did it ... still no luck. I really appreciate you trying to help!
    >> > Thanks

    Sent to "salzmum" in Outlook group - Give the following a go: Control
    panel>Folder options>File types - scroll down and select "HTM" (HMTL
    document). Under "details for 'HTM' extensions" should be the statement
    "opens with internet explorer" - if not click on "Change" and select IE.
    Click on the "Advanced" option and set "open" as the default
    action - click "OK" - good luck!

    AL(KB3U) & Darlene Romanosky N. Ft.
    Myers, FL

Outlook Browsers Windows XP