Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

my first DELL desktop - please help me decide.

Last response: in Computer Brands
Share
Anonymous
April 19, 2005 5:11:33 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

Hello,
I'm going to buy my first DELL desktop - for home use, and I have a
dilemma. I want to use it for games, graphical programs, office
applications. Because I want small & quiet desktop & not expensive, I
have decided to choose between used Optiplex GX260 SFF ($390 - P4 2.4
GHz / 256MB RAM / 40GB HDD) & used GX280 SFF ($780 - P4HT 3.0 GHz /
512MB RAM / 40GB HDD).

Is the GX280 is worthy of the price? ...To tell you the truth $780 is my
all savings. I can allow buying GX280, but then I won't be able to buy
better graphical card. Maybe GX260 with good graphical card and HDD and
stuff won't be so bad idea. I live in Warsaw - Poland. Here, it's quite
easy to find cheap "low profiled" GF FX5200 ($20), but it's hard to find
good, "low profiled" graphical card on PCI-E & not expensive.

Please help me decide
Best regards.

More about : dell desktop decide

Anonymous
April 19, 2005 5:11:34 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

"Schoeni" <schoeni@poczta.onet.pl> wrote in message
news:D 41en1$mif$1@news.onet.pl...
> Hello,
> I'm going to buy my first DELL desktop - for home use, and I have a
> dilemma. I want to use it for games, graphical programs, office
> applications. Because I want small & quiet desktop & not expensive, I have
> decided to choose between used Optiplex GX260 SFF ($390 - P4 2.4 GHz /
> 256MB RAM / 40GB HDD) & used GX280 SFF ($780 - P4HT 3.0 GHz / 512MB RAM /
> 40GB HDD).
>
> Is the GX280 is worthy of the price? ...To tell you the truth $780 is my
> all savings. I can allow buying GX280, but then I won't be able to buy
> better graphical card. Maybe GX260 with good graphical card and HDD and
> stuff won't be so bad idea. I live in Warsaw - Poland. Here, it's quite
> easy to find cheap "low profiled" GF FX5200 ($20), but it's hard to find
> good, "low profiled" graphical card on PCI-E & not expensive.
>
> Please help me decide
> Best regards.


Dell offers no Dimension desktops in Poland - only Optiplex or Precision
workstation?

http://www1.euro.dell.com/content/products/category.asp...


Stew
Anonymous
April 19, 2005 7:41:33 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

On Tue, 19 Apr 2005 01:11:33 +0200, Schoeni wrote:
>
> I'm going to buy my first DELL desktop - for home use, and I have a
> dilemma. I want to use it for games, graphical programs, office
> applications. Because I want small & quiet desktop & not expensive, I
> have decided to choose between used Optiplex GX260 SFF ($390 - P4 2.4
> GHz / 256MB RAM / 40GB HDD) & used GX280 SFF ($780 - P4HT 3.0 GHz /
> 512MB RAM / 40GB HDD).

For Games and Graphics you need at LEAST 512MB of RAM, and a high-end
video card - like a PCI Express ATI 9800 series. I would get at least a P4
3.2ghz hyper-threaded CPU system.

--
spam999free@rrohio.com
remove 999 in order to email me
Related resources
Anonymous
April 19, 2005 9:46:09 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

Leythos wrote:
> On Tue, 19 Apr 2005 01:11:33 +0200, Schoeni wrote:
>
>>I'm going to buy my first DELL desktop - for home use, and I have a
>>dilemma. I want to use it for games, graphical programs, office
>>applications. Because I want small & quiet desktop & not expensive, I
>>have decided to choose between used Optiplex GX260 SFF ($390 - P4 2.4
>>GHz / 256MB RAM / 40GB HDD) & used GX280 SFF ($780 - P4HT 3.0 GHz /
>>512MB RAM / 40GB HDD).
>
>
> For Games and Graphics you need at LEAST 512MB of RAM, and a high-end
> video card - like a PCI Express ATI 9800 series. I would get at least a P4
> 3.2ghz hyper-threaded CPU system.

In that case you would choose GX280(?).

I’m interested in second hand dell computers. Brand new dell computers
in my town are too expensive. Now I have to choose between several dell
computers, and only 3 of them are interesting:

http://www.allegro.pl/search.php?string=dell&category=4...

OPTIPLEX GX280 SFF need a special graphical card – “low profiled”. Is
there any other graphical card on PCI-E but ATI X300 or GeForce 6200.
ATI X300 & GeForce 6200 use some sort of shared memory. (NVIDIA using
“TurboCashe”). I suppose shared video memory is very slow. Maybe there
is a chance, that some day there will be a “low profiled” PCI-E
graphical card with conventional DDR video memory. OR maybe buying SFF
chassis is a waste of money. But also SFF is very quiet – and I need to
sleep beside computer turned on.

I’m starting to think, that OPTIPLEX GX260 SFF + GeForce FX5200 (low
profiled) will be most optimal choice...

Best regards.
Anonymous
April 19, 2005 9:50:45 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

S.Lewis wrote:

> "Schoeni" <schoeni@poczta.onet.pl> wrote in message
> news:D 41en1$mif$1@news.onet.pl...
>
>>Hello,
>>I'm going to buy my first DELL desktop - for home use, and I have a
>>dilemma. I want to use it for games, graphical programs, office
>>applications. Because I want small & quiet desktop & not expensive, I have
>>decided to choose between used Optiplex GX260 SFF ($390 - P4 2.4 GHz /
>>256MB RAM / 40GB HDD) & used GX280 SFF ($780 - P4HT 3.0 GHz / 512MB RAM /
>>40GB HDD).
>>
>>Is the GX280 is worthy of the price? ...To tell you the truth $780 is my
>>all savings. I can allow buying GX280, but then I won't be able to buy
>>better graphical card. Maybe GX260 with good graphical card and HDD and
>>stuff won't be so bad idea. I live in Warsaw - Poland. Here, it's quite
>>easy to find cheap "low profiled" GF FX5200 ($20), but it's hard to find
>>good, "low profiled" graphical card on PCI-E & not expensive.
>>
>>Please help me decide
>>Best regards.
>
>
>
> Dell offers no Dimension desktops in Poland - only Optiplex or Precision
> workstation?
>
> http://www1.euro.dell.com/content/products/category.asp...
>
>
> Stew

It looks like it.

I’m interested in second hand dell computers. Brand new dell computers
in my town are too expensive. I do not see any DIMENSION at Internet
auction:

http://www.allegro.pl/search.php?string=dell&category=4...

Best regards.
Anonymous
April 19, 2005 9:50:46 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

"Schoeni" <schoeni@poczta.onet.pl> wrote in message
news:D 4398f$3lp$1@news.onet.pl...
> S.Lewis wrote:
>
>> "Schoeni" <schoeni@poczta.onet.pl> wrote in message
>> news:D 41en1$mif$1@news.onet.pl...
>>
>>>Hello,
>>>I'm going to buy my first DELL desktop - for home use, and I have a
>>>dilemma. I want to use it for games, graphical programs, office
>>>applications. Because I want small & quiet desktop & not expensive, I
>>>have decided to choose between used Optiplex GX260 SFF ($390 - P4 2.4 GHz
>>>/ 256MB RAM / 40GB HDD) & used GX280 SFF ($780 - P4HT 3.0 GHz / 512MB RAM
>>>/ 40GB HDD).
>>>
>>>Is the GX280 is worthy of the price? ...To tell you the truth $780 is my
>>>all savings. I can allow buying GX280, but then I won't be able to buy
>>>better graphical card. Maybe GX260 with good graphical card and HDD and
>>>stuff won't be so bad idea. I live in Warsaw - Poland. Here, it's quite
>>>easy to find cheap "low profiled" GF FX5200 ($20), but it's hard to find
>>>good, "low profiled" graphical card on PCI-E & not expensive.
>>>
>>>Please help me decide
>>>Best regards.
>>
>>
>>
>> Dell offers no Dimension desktops in Poland - only Optiplex or Precision
>> workstation?
>>
>> http://www1.euro.dell.com/content/products/category.asp...
>>
>>
>> Stew
>
> It looks like it.
>
> I’m interested in second hand dell computers. Brand new dell computers in
> my town are too expensive. I do not see any DIMENSION at Internet auction:
>
> http://www.allegro.pl/search.php?string=dell&category=4...
>
> Best regards.



Dimensions are all over ebay here in the U.S. as well as the U.K.. However,
I have no knowledge of the shipping expense between european nations for
such a thing.

I wish you the best of luck.


Stew
Anonymous
April 21, 2005 3:32:36 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

"Schoeni" <schoeni@poczta.onet.pl> wrote in message
news:D 41en1$mif$1@news.onet.pl...
> snip

You use a dollar sign in your post. Which currency you are using? USD$,
AUD$, C$, Zloty or Euro's?
Anonymous
April 21, 2005 3:32:37 AM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

Spammy Sammy wrote:
> "Schoeni" <schoeni@poczta.onet.pl> wrote in message
> news:D 41en1$mif$1@news.onet.pl...
>
>>snip
>
>
> You use a dollar sign in your post. Which currency you are using? USD$,
> AUD$, C$, Zloty or Euro's?
>
>

Sorry. It was about USD$.

Best regards.
Anonymous
April 21, 2005 10:20:22 PM

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

"Schoeni" <schoeni@poczta.onet.pl> wrote in message
news:D 45rnk$apn$1@news.onet.pl...
> Sorry. It was about USD$.

Have you thought about shipping a system from somewhere else in Europe. I
used to buy stuff from www.aria.co.uk , www.ginger6.co.uk , and
www.eclipsecomputers.com and the value for money was better than some of the
larger suppliers, Dell included.

Don't buy something just because it's in your range. Save a bit more and buy
something you actually want and you will appreciate it a lot more.

The Ginger6 pc's were the cheapest I used but with a video upgrade they were
fine. Radeon 9800Pro's are on sale at Aria for roughly GBP110.00 at the
moment.
!