my first DELL desktop - please help me decide.

Hello,
I'm going to buy my first DELL desktop - for home use, and I have a
dilemma. I want to use it for games, graphical programs, office
applications. Because I want small & quiet desktop & not expensive, I
have decided to choose between used Optiplex GX260 SFF ($390 - P4 2.4
GHz / 256MB RAM / 40GB HDD) & used GX280 SFF ($780 - P4HT 3.0 GHz /
512MB RAM / 40GB HDD).

Is the GX280 is worthy of the price? ...To tell you the truth $780 is my
all savings. I can allow buying GX280, but then I won't be able to buy
better graphical card. Maybe GX260 with good graphical card and HDD and
stuff won't be so bad idea. I live in Warsaw - Poland. Here, it's quite
easy to find cheap "low profiled" GF FX5200 ($20), but it's hard to find
good, "low profiled" graphical card on PCI-E & not expensive.

Please help me decide
Best regards.
8 answers Last reply
More about dell desktop decide

    "Schoeni" <schoeni@poczta.onet.pl> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    > I'm going to buy my first DELL desktop - for home use, and I have a
    > dilemma. I want to use it for games, graphical programs, office
    > applications. Because I want small & quiet desktop & not expensive, I have
    > decided to choose between used Optiplex GX260 SFF ($390 - P4 2.4 GHz /
    > 256MB RAM / 40GB HDD) & used GX280 SFF ($780 - P4HT 3.0 GHz / 512MB RAM /
    > 40GB HDD).
    >
    > Is the GX280 is worthy of the price? ...To tell you the truth $780 is my
    > all savings. I can allow buying GX280, but then I won't be able to buy
    > better graphical card. Maybe GX260 with good graphical card and HDD and
    > stuff won't be so bad idea. I live in Warsaw - Poland. Here, it's quite
    > easy to find cheap "low profiled" GF FX5200 ($20), but it's hard to find
    > good, "low profiled" graphical card on PCI-E & not expensive.
    >
    > Please help me decide
    > Best regards.

    Dell offers no Dimension desktops in Poland - only Optiplex or Precision
    workstation?

    http://www1.euro.dell.com/content/products/category.aspx/desktops?c=pl&l=pl&s=bsd&~ck=mn

    Stew

    On Tue, 19 Apr 2005 01:11:33 +0200, Schoeni wrote:

    > I'm going to buy my first DELL desktop - for home use, and I have a
    > dilemma. I want to use it for games, graphical programs, office
    > applications. Because I want small & quiet desktop & not expensive, I
    > have decided to choose between used Optiplex GX260 SFF ($390 - P4 2.4
    > GHz / 256MB RAM / 40GB HDD) & used GX280 SFF ($780 - P4HT 3.0 GHz /
    > 512MB RAM / 40GB HDD).

    For Games and Graphics you need at LEAST 512MB of RAM, and a high-end
    video card - like a PCI Express ATI 9800 series. I would get at least a P4
    3.2ghz hyper-threaded CPU system.

    --
    spam999free@rrohio.com
    remove 999 in order to email me

    Leythos wrote:
    > On Tue, 19 Apr 2005 01:11:33 +0200, Schoeni wrote:
    >
    >>I'm going to buy my first DELL desktop - for home use, and I have a
    >>dilemma. I want to use it for games, graphical programs, office
    >>applications. Because I want small & quiet desktop & not expensive, I
    >>have decided to choose between used Optiplex GX260 SFF ($390 - P4 2.4
    >>GHz / 256MB RAM / 40GB HDD) & used GX280 SFF ($780 - P4HT 3.0 GHz /
    >>512MB RAM / 40GB HDD).
    >

    > For Games and Graphics you need at LEAST 512MB of RAM, and a high-end
    > video card - like a PCI Express ATI 9800 series. I would get at least a P4
    > 3.2ghz hyper-threaded CPU system.

    In that case you would choose GX280(?).

    I’m interested in second hand dell computers. Brand new dell computers
    in my town are too expensive. Now I have to choose between several dell
    computers, and only 3 of them are interesting:

    http://www.allegro.pl/search.php?string=dell&category=490&country=1

    OPTIPLEX GX280 SFF need a special graphical card – “low profiled”. Is
    there any other graphical card on PCI-E but ATI X300 or GeForce 6200.
    ATI X300 & GeForce 6200 use some sort of shared memory. (NVIDIA using
    “TurboCashe”). I suppose shared video memory is very slow. Maybe there
    is a chance, that some day there will be a “low profiled” PCI-E
    graphical card with conventional DDR video memory. OR maybe buying SFF
    chassis is a waste of money. But also SFF is very quiet – and I need to
    sleep beside computer turned on.

    I’m starting to think, that OPTIPLEX GX260 SFF + GeForce FX5200 (low
    profiled) will be most optimal choice...

    Best regards.

    S.Lewis wrote:

    > "Schoeni" <schoeni@poczta.onet.pl> wrote in message
    >
    >>Hello,
    >>I'm going to buy my first DELL desktop - for home use, and I have a
    >>dilemma. I want to use it for games, graphical programs, office
    >>applications. Because I want small & quiet desktop & not expensive, I have
    >>decided to choose between used Optiplex GX260 SFF ($390 - P4 2.4 GHz /
    >>256MB RAM / 40GB HDD) & used GX280 SFF ($780 - P4HT 3.0 GHz / 512MB RAM /
    >>40GB HDD).
    >>
    >>Is the GX280 is worthy of the price? ...To tell you the truth $780 is my
    >>all savings. I can allow buying GX280, but then I won't be able to buy
    >>better graphical card. Maybe GX260 with good graphical card and HDD and
    >>stuff won't be so bad idea. I live in Warsaw - Poland. Here, it's quite
    >>easy to find cheap "low profiled" GF FX5200 ($20), but it's hard to find
    >>good, "low profiled" graphical card on PCI-E & not expensive.
    >>
    >>Please help me decide
    >>Best regards.
    >

    > Dell offers no Dimension desktops in Poland - only Optiplex or Precision
    > workstation?
    >
    > http://www1.euro.dell.com/content/products/category.aspx/desktops?c=pl&l=pl&s=bsd&~ck=mn
    >

    > Stew

    It looks like it.

    I’m interested in second hand dell computers. Brand new dell computers
    in my town are too expensive. I do not see any DIMENSION at Internet
    auction:

    > S.Lewis wrote:
    >
    >> "Schoeni" <schoeni@poczta.onet.pl> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>Hello,
    >>>I'm going to buy my first DELL desktop - for home use, and I have a
    >>>dilemma. I want to use it for games, graphical programs, office
    >>>applications. Because I want small & quiet desktop & not expensive, I
    >>>have decided to choose between used Optiplex GX260 SFF ($390 - P4 2.4 GHz
    >>>/ 256MB RAM / 40GB HDD) & used GX280 SFF ($780 - P4HT 3.0 GHz / 512MB RAM
    >>>/ 40GB HDD).
    >>>
    >>>Is the GX280 is worthy of the price? ...To tell you the truth $780 is my
    >>>all savings. I can allow buying GX280, but then I won't be able to buy
    >>>better graphical card. Maybe GX260 with good graphical card and HDD and
    >>>stuff won't be so bad idea. I live in Warsaw - Poland. Here, it's quite
    >>>easy to find cheap "low profiled" GF FX5200 ($20), but it's hard to find
    >>>good, "low profiled" graphical card on PCI-E & not expensive.
    >>>
    >>>Please help me decide
    >>>Best regards.
    >>

    >> Dell offers no Dimension desktops in Poland - only Optiplex or Precision
    >> workstation?
    >>
    >> http://www1.euro.dell.com/content/products/category.aspx/desktops?c=pl&l=pl&s=bsd&~ck=mn
    >>

    >> Stew
    >
    > It looks like it.
    >
    > I’m interested in second hand dell computers. Brand new dell computers in
    > my town are too expensive. I do not see any DIMENSION at Internet auction:
    >
    > http://www.allegro.pl/search.php?string=dell&category=490&country=1
    >
    > Best regards.

    Dimensions are all over ebay here in the U.S. as well as the U.K.. However,
    I have no knowledge of the shipping expense between european nations for
    such a thing.

    I wish you the best of luck.

    Stew

    "Schoeni" <schoeni@poczta.onet.pl> wrote in message
    > snip

    You use a dollar sign in your post. Which currency you are using? USD$,
    AUD$, C$, Zloty or Euro's?

    Spammy Sammy wrote:
    > "Schoeni" <schoeni@poczta.onet.pl> wrote in message
    >
    >>snip
    >

    > You use a dollar sign in your post. Which currency you are using? USD$,
    > AUD$, C$, Zloty or Euro's?

    Sorry. It was about USD$.

    Best regards.

    > Sorry. It was about USD$.

    Have you thought about shipping a system from somewhere else in Europe. I
    used to buy stuff from www.aria.co.uk , www.ginger6.co.uk , and
    www.eclipsecomputers.com and the value for money was better than some of the
    larger suppliers, Dell included.

    Don't buy something just because it's in your range. Save a bit more and buy
    something you actually want and you will appreciate it a lot more.

    The Ginger6 pc's were the cheapest I used but with a video upgrade they were
    fine. Radeon 9800Pro's are on sale at Aria for roughly GBP110.00 at the
    moment.

Dell Desktops Hard Drives Computers