this is what i get:
Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be
corrupted or missing. (Code 39)

don't know how it happened (not roxio), does anyone know how to fix it? I've
tried uninstalling and reinstalling and regedt32.exe - bot havent worked

Reasons for this error include a driver that is not present; a binary file
that is corrupt; a file I/O problem, or a driver that references an entry
point in another binary file that could not be loaded.
So uninstall the driver, and then click Scan for hardware changes to
reinstall or upgrade the driver.

"lazypainter" <lazypainter@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> this is what i get:
> Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be
> corrupted or missing. (Code 39)
>
> don't know how it happened (not roxio), does anyone know how to fix it?
> I've
> tried uninstalling and reinstalling and regedt32.exe - bot havent worked

i did that, no dice

"samh" wrote:

> Reasons for this error include a driver that is not present; a binary file
> that is corrupt; a file I/O problem, or a driver that references an entry
> point in another binary file that could not be loaded.
> So uninstall the driver, and then click Scan for hardware changes to
> reinstall or upgrade the driver.
>
> "lazypainter" <lazypainter@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > this is what i get:
> > Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be
> > corrupted or missing. (Code 39)
> >
> > don't know how it happened (not roxio), does anyone know how to fix it?
> > I've
> > tried uninstalling and reinstalling and regedt32.exe - bot havent worked

For which device? If for CD, try here:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060/

--
Ramesh, MS-MVP
Windows Shell/User

Windows XP Troubleshooting
http://www.winhelponline.com
http://windowsxp.mvps.org

"lazypainter" <lazypainter@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> this is what i get:
> Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be
> corrupted or missing. (Code 39)
>
> don't know how it happened (not roxio), does anyone know how to fix it?
> I've
> tried uninstalling and reinstalling and regedt32.exe - bot havent worked

its both cd-rom and dvd-rom. its not from roxio, which that link is for. i
just got off with technical support and they are saying its an operating
system problem

"Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:

> For which device? If for CD, try here:
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060/
>
> --
> Ramesh, MS-MVP
> Windows Shell/User
>
> Windows XP Troubleshooting
> http://www.winhelponline.com
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>
> Windows XP Newsgroup Setup Instructions for Outlook Express:
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroupsetup.mspx
>

> "lazypainter" <lazypainter@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > this is what i get:
> > Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be
> > corrupted or missing. (Code 39)
> >
> > don't know how it happened (not roxio), does anyone know how to fix it?
> > I've
> > tried uninstalling and reinstalling and regedt32.exe - bot havent worked

It might not be from Roxio, but the problem is fundamentally the same
(broken filter driver).

The fix is the same as well.

If you are uncomfortable editing the registry, grab this file mentioned
below and merge the changes. Then reboot

Goto http://aumha.org/win5/a/xpcd.php#problems
See the second "problem" (read the caveats)
Run the provided registry patch

That should fix your problem (basically, a filter driver is missing or
non-operational, the registry patch will delete the filter drivers
references for your cdrom(s))

--
Gary Tsang
Microsoft MVP - Windows XP Shell/User

> its both cd-rom and dvd-rom. its not from roxio, which that link is for. i
> just got off with technical support and they are saying its an operating
> system problem
>
> "Ramesh, MS-MVP" wrote:
>
>> For which device? If for CD, try here:
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060/
>>
>> --
>> Ramesh, MS-MVP
>> Windows Shell/User
>>
>> Windows XP Troubleshooting
>> http://www.winhelponline.com
>> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
>>
>> Windows XP Newsgroup Setup Instructions for Outlook Express:
>> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroupsetup.mspx
>>

>> "lazypainter" <lazypainter@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > this is what i get:
>> > Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may
>> > be
>> > corrupted or missing. (Code 39)
>> >
>> > don't know how it happened (not roxio), does anyone know how to fix it?
>> > I've
>> > tried uninstalling and reinstalling and regedt32.exe - bot havent
>> > worked

OK. But, have you checked if the two values are present in that key?

* UpperFilters
* LowerFilters