Linksys WPC54G & Wrong Driver?

Shock

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2001

I am having a problem with the Linksys WPC54G wireless adapter. I used this
adapter for about 6 months on windows xp home edition without any problems.
After formatting my hard drive and trying to reinstall the card I have run
into problems. At first I tried it on WinXP home and that didn't work.
After I run the install it tells me the card isn't installed and I can
confirm this by going to the control panel and seeing the card is listed
under unknown devices as Network Controller. I also tried to install it on
WinXP pro and Windows 2000 and I received the same errors. This was all
done on the same notebook, which is a Compaq Presario 705us. I do not
understand this because when I downloaded the latest drivers and pointed to
their folder to find an appropriate driver it comes back and says windows
cannot find a compatible driver. I have the TI Cardbus adapter in my
computer, but it never gave me trouble before so I don't think it is the
problem now. Also, I tried to use the beta driver that linksys has if you
are using the Texas Instr. Cardbus controller. This did not work either.
It every case it has told me it cannot find a compatible driver, even when I
am pointing to the directory I know holds the driver(s) I downloaded.

Any help is appreciated,

Shock

"Shock" <no@waydude.com> wrote in

> folder to find an appropriate driver it comes back and says windows
> cannot find a compatible driver. I have the TI Cardbus adapter in my
> computer, but it never gave me trouble before so I don't think it is
> the problem now. Also, I tried to use the beta driver that linksys
> has if you are using the Texas Instr. Cardbus controller. This did
> not work either. It every case it has told me it cannot find a
> compatible driver, even when I am pointing to the directory I know
> holds the driver(s) I downloaded.

It's possible one of them died (adapter or nic). Can you test either the
adapter or the wireless card in another laptop just to rule out the chance
that one of them might be dead?

Shock

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2001

"Mr. Grinch" <grinch@hatespam.yucky> wrote in message
> "Shock" <no@waydude.com> wrote in
>
> > folder to find an appropriate driver it comes back and says windows
> > cannot find a compatible driver. I have the TI Cardbus adapter in my
> > computer, but it never gave me trouble before so I don't think it is
> > the problem now. Also, I tried to use the beta driver that linksys
> > has if you are using the Texas Instr. Cardbus controller. This did
> > not work either. It every case it has told me it cannot find a
> > compatible driver, even when I am pointing to the directory I know
> > holds the driver(s) I downloaded.
>
> It's possible one of them died (adapter or nic). Can you test either the
> adapter or the wireless card in another laptop just to rule out the chance
> that one of them might be dead?

The nic works fine in another machine. I am guessing the pcmcia slot went
bad, but it shows fine.

Shock