Tags:
  • Partition
  • Windows XP
July 2, 2005 4:00:56 PM

I have a big problem, if i try to boot my XP it gets pst the initial
on agp440.sys or something like that, so im wondering that if i have a
new partition with just xp on if i can go onto the new working partiton
and somehow recover the old partition or atleast transfer data, maybe
you can use a system restore on the other partition?, the thing is that
with the data transferring i would want to transfer installed games
which cant just be copied over due to them having entrys into the
registary, so if i cant restore the other partition could i transfer
over the files and registary?

My specs are :
Win XP Home
3.2Ghz
1.5GB ram
110GB Hard Drive

--
Mikeywarren

More about : restore partition

Anonymous
July 2, 2005 11:02:01 PM

Mike,

Sounds to me like a video (driver in particular issue). Have you tried to
troubleshoot that?

Last Known good?

Safemode command prompt only?

How about booting to the recovery concole. Running some basic fix utilities
first. Chkdsk, etc.

How about running doing a upgrade installation over the original. This
would provide the opportunity to fix corrupted files like the video driver
(thats what agp440.sys is referring to).

Anyway, I always hate it when people give me advice but don't answer the
question I ASKED. So...

Yes, reinstalling to a new partition and OS would allow you to copy files,
registry etc. Assuming the old partition is not damaged and thus accessible,
etc.

Seems to me that a system restore would be the last thing I'd try.....in the
interest of time.

My opinion is is that one file or subsystem (video) is causing your problem.
If you do a system restore you get EVERYTHING back that was last "backed up".
Perhaps you don't want to go back to that point. Do you know when that
"point" in time was? An hour ago, yesterday, last week, last month?

Thats my six cents worth.

Scott