blue screen + 0x000007E

Have Windows XP Professional Small Business edition. It was originally
Windows 2000 and upgraded to the XP. Have had a few problems in past which I
got around by jiggering msconfig while in Safe Mode. Then after awhile,
added programs back in on msconfig and could run normally.
Now, sudden occurrence of blue screen on startup. Basic stop error is
0x000007E and
0xC0000005
0xFC5ACB1F
0xFC90F8BC
0xFC90F5BC
I tried numerous changes to msconfig while in Safe Mode, which is the only
way I can run. On Gateway's advice, I ran gwscan, which was successful.
Couldn't restart normally with XP discs. They say I should wipe the computer
clean and start all over again. Yeah, mucho programs, updates, fixes etc,
which would take forever and ever with a dialup connection.
Any ideas? Anything I've seen on this site is a bit different from my error
codes.
Thanx, Mary
3 answers Last reply
More about blue screen 0x000007e

    Hi

    Please try the following link to Jim Eshelman's web page - left hand column
    (7E)

    http://aumha.org/win5/kbestop.htm

    --

    Will Denny
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    "Mari" <Mari@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Have Windows XP Professional Small Business edition. It was originally
    > Windows 2000 and upgraded to the XP. Have had a few problems in past
    > which I
    > got around by jiggering msconfig while in Safe Mode. Then after awhile,
    > added programs back in on msconfig and could run normally.
    > Now, sudden occurrence of blue screen on startup. Basic stop error is
    > 0x000007E and
    > 0xC0000005
    > 0xFC5ACB1F
    > 0xFC90F8BC
    > 0xFC90F5BC
    > I tried numerous changes to msconfig while in Safe Mode, which is the only
    > way I can run. On Gateway's advice, I ran gwscan, which was successful.
    > Couldn't restart normally with XP discs. They say I should wipe the
    > computer
    > clean and start all over again. Yeah, mucho programs, updates, fixes etc,
    > which would take forever and ever with a dialup connection.
    > Any ideas? Anything I've seen on this site is a bit different from my
    > error
    > codes.
    > Thanx, Mary

    Thanx, Will, been there & looked at that. I think updates, fixes, etc.
    combined with possibly my incorrectly deleting shortcuts and possibly a
    program may have caused the problem. Ouch! --Mari

    "Will Denny" wrote:

    > Hi
    >
    > Please try the following link to Jim Eshelman's web page - left hand column
    > (7E)
    >
    > http://aumha.org/win5/kbestop.htm
    >
    > --
    >
    > Will Denny
    > MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    > Please reply to the News Groups
    >

    > "Mari" <Mari@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > > Have Windows XP Professional Small Business edition. It was originally
    > > Windows 2000 and upgraded to the XP. Have had a few problems in past
    > > which I
    > > got around by jiggering msconfig while in Safe Mode. Then after awhile,
    > > added programs back in on msconfig and could run normally.
    > > Now, sudden occurrence of blue screen on startup. Basic stop error is
    > > 0x000007E and
    > > 0xC0000005
    > > 0xFC5ACB1F
    > > 0xFC90F8BC
    > > 0xFC90F5BC
    > > I tried numerous changes to msconfig while in Safe Mode, which is the only
    > > way I can run. On Gateway's advice, I ran gwscan, which was successful.
    > > Couldn't restart normally with XP discs. They say I should wipe the
    > > computer
    > > clean and start all over again. Yeah, mucho programs, updates, fixes etc,
    > > which would take forever and ever with a dialup connection.
    > > Any ideas? Anything I've seen on this site is a bit different from my
    > > error
    > > codes.
    > > Thanx, Mary

    Get your XP CD and install Windows Support Tools.

    Type in start run after installing and rebooting

    pstat > "%userprofile%\desktop\driverl­ist.txt"

    The last table in this file is a list of loaded drivers. Other things apart
    from hardware uses drivers. Post the list of drivers (the last table only -
    REPEAT THE LAST TABLE O N L Y ) or match the fault address to the driver.

    This will allow you to match memory addresses to a driver.

    Type verifier in Start Run, follow the wizard but choose All Drivers. This will slow down your computer and cause more blue screen crashes but will pinpoint what is causing the crash (if the original error message didn't). Once you fix it you rerun verifier and turn it off.

    If you can't start after enabling verifier
    choose Last Known Good Configuration at the Failed Boot menu (which will
    start without verifier).

    You will be creating a crash dump file in c:\windows\minidump every blue screen. Make sure you are set to record minidumps (Small Memory Dumps) - type it in Help to see how.

    Then

    If you have the XP SP2 Security Update CD (else see
    http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/­devtools/debugging/symbolpkg.m­spx
    )

    Install symbols from <CD Drive Letter>:\SUPPORT\SYMBOLS

    Download
    http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/devtools/debugging/installx86.mspx

    Load the crash dump file into windbg
    and read what it says
    Type
    !Analyze -v
    into Windbg's command line.
    (this will hopefully tell you the faulty component)

    If the above is too technical then email the crash dump files to davidc @ mvps.org. Don't send me lots of them. Just the one from your last crash after you turn verifier on. And only one per mail.

    You can look up specific details here
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/ddtools/hh/ddtools/BCIntro_ea8b9fd0-2d81-4a04-a7ed-c1c6a80bd501.xml.asp

    If it indicates faulty memory might be the cause you can get a memory tester
    here
    http://oca.microsoft.com/en/wi­ndiag.asp

    If it mentions a core windows system file, meaning it a MS fix is required,
    upload a minidump to

    http://oca.microsoft.com

    Also try typing the main error code in Help while online (ie,
    Stop 0x50
    and also try in the 8 digit form
    stop 0x00000050)
    and if there are too many hits use a filename if available. Generally memory
    addresses are different for each computer (as each computer has a different
    mix of drivers) so parameters that are memory addresses aren't that useful for searching, but NTStatus codes are (plus you can look them up here http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/mingw/w32api/include/ddk/ntstatus.h?rev=1.2).

    "Mari" <Mari@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:DF9BA3C9-58E0-4690-9988-D59B6869D8D6@microsoft.com...
    > Thanx, Will, been there & looked at that. I think updates, fixes, etc.
    > combined with possibly my incorrectly deleting shortcuts and possibly a
    > program may have caused the problem. Ouch! --Mari
    >
    > "Will Denny" wrote:
    >
    >> Hi
    >>
    >> Please try the following link to Jim Eshelman's web page - left hand column
    >> (7E)
    >>
    >> http://aumha.org/win5/kbestop.htm
    >>
    >> --
    >>
    >> Will Denny
    >> MS-MVP Windows Shell/User
    >> Please reply to the News Groups
    >>

    >> "Mari" <Mari@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > Have Windows XP Professional Small Business edition. It was originally
    >> > Windows 2000 and upgraded to the XP. Have had a few problems in past
    >> > which I
    >> > got around by jiggering msconfig while in Safe Mode. Then after awhile,
    >> > added programs back in on msconfig and could run normally.
    >> > Now, sudden occurrence of blue screen on startup. Basic stop error is
    >> > 0x000007E and
    >> > 0xC0000005
    >> > 0xFC5ACB1F
    >> > 0xFC90F8BC
    >> > 0xFC90F5BC
    >> > I tried numerous changes to msconfig while in Safe Mode, which is the only
    >> > way I can run. On Gateway's advice, I ran gwscan, which was successful.
    >> > Couldn't restart normally with XP discs. They say I should wipe the
    >> > computer
    >> > clean and start all over again. Yeah, mucho programs, updates, fixes etc,
    >> > which would take forever and ever with a dialup connection.
    >> > Any ideas? Anything I've seen on this site is a bit different from my
    >> > error
    >> > codes.
    >> > Thanx, Mary

Blue Screen Windows XP