netgear 614 wireless router problems staying online

bill

I am so new to wireless it isn't even funny, but
here is the problem and I hope someone can help.

I have a netgear 614 wireless router and a pc
hardwired to it, as well as a usb netgear 121
adaptor on my wifes pc out in the den, and a
toshiba laptop with builtin wireless ability.

I got the router setup, did wep 64 security
installed the drivers on the other pc with the 121
on it, entered the wep key created on my main pc
after configuring it to wep 64.

Shows 100% signal on wireless pc, laptop same
thing great signals, however I find myself having
to reset my modem and or the netgear router all
the time (they loose connection, all 3 pcs show as
red x on connection on task bar and I have to re
attempt to connect them again often, usually only
a restart of modem and or router works to get back
online).

I will be honest I DON'T know much at all about
wireless stuff, and I might have messed something
up but on the main pc with the router I went into
"wireless settings" did encrypt strength to 64,
authentication to "automatic", and in the part
where it said security encrypt wep key i entered a
word i thought up as a passphrase (box was empty
so I assumed i needed to enter a word) and it
created 4 keys, on the pc with the usb 121
(wireless pc) i installed the drivers for the 121,
checked WEP 64 and enetered the key given as KEY
1, hit apply and it showed 100% strength and
seemed to work great!

On the laptop It was different (built in
wireless), so I went to network connections,
choose wireless it showed NETGEAR as an available
network, i entered the second key KYE 2 that the
settings had given me but that didnt work so I
entered KEY 1 - that same key 1 as the usb 121 c
was using, in the network key area and hit
connect, (also checked box that said enable IEEE
802.1x 1x authentication for this network.)
then hit connect and it too showed 100% signal
strength and I was able to access the web.

All was sweet and I coudln't believe I got it all
running (first day with it after reading a bit
online and thru the manuals)...

However seems that every hour or so I find none of
the pcs seem to work on the web (even the hard
wired one) and I have to reset the cable modem and
unplug the netgear router for a min or so then it
all works again (for a while).

Guys/Girls I have no idea what I am doing and will
admit it, but I have spent alot of time trying to
figure this out, read the limited books and
materials that come with the items and I gotta say
I feel overwhelmed at the moment as to if my
settings are even right or what possibly could be
wrong here.

ANY suggestions or help would be greatly
appreciated.

Bill

bill

I just went in and did a firmware update on it,
old one was jan 2003, new one was Jan 2004 and it
is now currently firmware wise updated, maybe the
update will help I dunno (too soon to tell), but
figured I would at least say I did that part
already.

Bill :)

"Bill" <ftlosm@comcastnospam.net> wrote in message
> [...]
> online and thru the manuals)...
>
> However seems that every hour or so I find none
of
> the pcs seem to work on the web (even the hard
> wired one) and I have to reset the cable modem
and
> unplug the netgear router for a min or so then
it
> all works again (for a while).
>
> Guys/Girls I have no idea what I am doing and
will
> admit it, but I have spent alot of time trying
> figure this out, read the limited books and
> materials that come with the items and I gotta
say
> I feel overwhelmed at the moment as to if my
> settings are even right or what possibly could
be
> wrong here.
>
> ANY suggestions or help would be greatly

gary

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I just installed the 121 (USB 2.0 802.11g, right?) for friends. The
connection utility shipped with the unit is version 1.1, which is broken.
You can configure WEP, and it will work until you reboot. It will not
recover the saved WEP config data, and you will not be able to reconnect
until you reconfigure WEP. An upgrade from their web site to version 2.0
fixed the problem.

If you are getting periodic disconnect problems without having done a
reboot, you may have Windows zero-config management enabled. During install,
the 121 install wizard should have put up a window asking whether you wanted
to enable Windows config or not. You should have selected "no" in order to
use the Netgear utility. To check this, just double-click the Windows
connnecton icon (looks like two computers superimposed

> [...]
> > online and thru the manuals)...
> >
> > However seems that every hour or so I find none
> of
> > the pcs seem to work on the web (even the hard
> > wired one) and I have to reset the cable modem
> and
> > unplug the netgear router for a min or so then
> it
> > all works again (for a while).
> >
> > Guys/Girls I have no idea what I am doing and
> will
> > admit it, but I have spent alot of time trying
> > figure this out, read the limited books and
> > materials that come with the items and I gotta
> say
> > I feel overwhelmed at the moment as to if my
> > settings are even right or what possibly could
> be
> > wrong here.
> >
> > ANY suggestions or help would be greatly

This is not to insult your intelligence, but I've always been taught
to return to the basics when things go wrong. You mentioned that you
configured WEP, however, you did not mention the SSID. Make sure that
your SSID on all PCs are the same. They won't communicate with each
other if they are not. If you've done this already, I apologize.

On Thu, 29 Apr 2004 06:01:22 GMT, "Bill" <ftlosm@comcastnospam.net>
wrote:

>I am so new to wireless it isn't even funny, but
>here is the problem and I hope someone can help.
>
>I have a netgear 614 wireless router and a pc
>hardwired to it, as well as a usb netgear 121
>adaptor on my wifes pc out in the den, and a
>toshiba laptop with builtin wireless ability.
>
>I got the router setup, did wep 64 security
>installed the drivers on the other pc with the 121
>on it, entered the wep key created on my main pc
>after configuring it to wep 64.
>
>Shows 100% signal on wireless pc, laptop same
>thing great signals, however I find myself having
>to reset my modem and or the netgear router all
>the time (they loose connection, all 3 pcs show as
>red x on connection on task bar and I have to re
>attempt to connect them again often, usually only
>a restart of modem and or router works to get back
>online).
>
>I will be honest I DON'T know much at all about
>wireless stuff, and I might have messed something
>up but on the main pc with the router I went into
>"wireless settings" did encrypt strength to 64,
>authentication to "automatic", and in the part
>where it said security encrypt wep key i entered a
>word i thought up as a passphrase (box was empty
>so I assumed i needed to enter a word) and it
>created 4 keys, on the pc with the usb 121
>(wireless pc) i installed the drivers for the 121,
>checked WEP 64 and enetered the key given as KEY
>1, hit apply and it showed 100% strength and
>seemed to work great!
>
>On the laptop It was different (built in
>wireless), so I went to network connections,
>choose wireless it showed NETGEAR as an available
>network, i entered the second key KYE 2 that the
>settings had given me but that didnt work so I
>entered KEY 1 - that same key 1 as the usb 121 c
>was using, in the network key area and hit
>connect, (also checked box that said enable IEEE
>802.1x 1x authentication for this network.)
>then hit connect and it too showed 100% signal
>strength and I was able to access the web.
>
>All was sweet and I coudln't believe I got it all
>running (first day with it after reading a bit
>online and thru the manuals)...
>
>However seems that every hour or so I find none of
>the pcs seem to work on the web (even the hard
>wired one) and I have to reset the cable modem and
>unplug the netgear router for a min or so then it
>all works again (for a while).
>
>Guys/Girls I have no idea what I am doing and will
>admit it, but I have spent alot of time trying to
>figure this out, read the limited books and
>materials that come with the items and I gotta say
>I feel overwhelmed at the moment as to if my
>settings are even right or what possibly could be
>wrong here.
>
>ANY suggestions or help would be greatly
>appreciated.
>
>Bill

bill

Yeah the SSID is the same on all 3 pcs, but thanks
for offering the suggestion, sometimes it IS the
simple stuff that gets overlooked, I will admit I
am very new to all this too so I might have even
overlooked something else as simple as that..

Still no luck after upgrading the firmware too..

Back to the drawing boards and help files, might
try to call netgear and see if they can offer a
suggestion or two...

Bill :)

"Doug Jamal" <unimportantbishiv6atyahoo@yahoo.com>
wrote in message
> [...]
> >online and thru the manuals)...
> >
> >However seems that every hour or so I find none
of
> >the pcs seem to work on the web (even the hard
> >wired one) and I have to reset the cable modem
and
> >unplug the netgear router for a min or so then
it
> >all works again (for a while).
> >
> >Guys/Girls I have no idea what I am doing and
will
> >admit it, but I have spent alot of time trying
> >figure this out, read the limited books and
> >materials that come with the items and I gotta
say
> >I feel overwhelmed at the moment as to if my
> >settings are even right or what possibly could
be
> >wrong here.
> >
> >ANY suggestions or help would be greatly

Try disabling packet burst in the router's menu. I think it is
enabled by default and it has been known to cause minor problems with
certain configurations.

On Fri, 30 Apr 2004 01:51:48 GMT, "Bill" <billaustin@kommmkast.net>
wrote:

> [...]
>> >online and thru the manuals)...
>> >
>> >However seems that every hour or so I find none
>of
>> >the pcs seem to work on the web (even the hard
>> >wired one) and I have to reset the cable modem
>and
>> >unplug the netgear router for a min or so then
>it
>> >all works again (for a while).
>> >
>> >Guys/Girls I have no idea what I am doing and
>will
>> >admit it, but I have spent alot of time trying
>> >figure this out, read the limited books and
>> >materials that come with the items and I gotta
>say
>> >I feel overwhelmed at the moment as to if my
>> >settings are even right or what possibly could
>be
>> >wrong here.
>> >
>> >ANY suggestions or help would be greatly

bill

I cant believe I still havent figured this out, I
have upgraded the firmware to both the router and
the usb adaptor (netgear 614 router netgear 121
adaptor) and have verified the upgraded firmware
is installed, gone thru the settings, tried with
and without wep, but no matter what I do I end up
45 mins later having to reset my cable modem
(comcast) and my netgear router (wg614) to get
back online, once I reset them I can access the
web and all is good again for another 30-50 mins
or so, seems like after a bit (maybe half hour or
sometimes even longer) things work GreAT and
smooth, then for no real reason I can figure out
things just DUMP and I have to reset both my modem
and router to get back onto the net...

Anyone?

Gonna call netgear on monday but I doubt they will
have any real solutions other than to reinstall
the drivers or recheck my settings... ughh

Bill

"Bill" <billaustin@kommmkast.net> wrote in message
> [...]
hard
> > >wired one) and I have to reset the cable
modem
> and
> > >unplug the netgear router for a min or so
then
> it
> > >all works again (for a while).
> > >
> > >Guys/Girls I have no idea what I am doing and
> will
> > >admit it, but I have spent alot of time
trying
> > >figure this out, read the limited books and
> > >materials that come with the items and I
gotta
> say
> > >I feel overwhelmed at the moment as to if my
> > >settings are even right or what possibly
could
> be
> > >wrong here.
> > >
> > >ANY suggestions or help would be greatly

bill

Called Netgear today, waste of time, just had me
recheck settings (all were fine going thru
wizard), then told me to redo the firmware update
on the router, power it off, push reset button etc
etc......it worked (like it always does once I
reset the router) but again after 20-30-40 mins it
goes out again on me,,,,,,,

ughhhhh

> [...]
> >
> > Back to the drawing boards and help files,
might
> > try to call netgear and see if they can offer
> > suggestion or two...
> >
> > Bill :)
> >

> > "Doug Jamal"
> <unimportantbishiv6atyahoo@yahoo.com>
> > wrote in message

> > > This is not to insult your intelligence, but
> > I've always been taught
> > > to return to the basics when things go
wrong.
> > You mentioned that you
> > > configured WEP, however, you did not mention
> the
> > SSID. Make sure that
> > > your SSID on all PCs are the same. They
won't
> > communicate with each
> > > other if they are not. If you've done this
> > already, I apologize.
> > >

> > > On Thu, 29 Apr 2004 06:01:22 GMT, "Bill"

In article <3Bflc.18163$0H1.1722545@attbi_s54>, billaustin@kommmkast.net
says...
> Called Netgear today, waste of time, just had me
> recheck settings (all were fine going thru
> wizard), then told me to redo the firmware update
> on the router, power it off, push reset button etc
> etc......it worked (like it always does once I
> reset the router) but again after 20-30-40 mins it
> goes out again on me,,,,,,,
>
> ughhhhh
>

> "Bill" <billaustin@kommmkast.net> wrote in message
> > I cant believe I still havent figured this out,
> > have upgraded the firmware to both the router
> and
> > the usb adaptor (netgear 614 router netgear 121
> > adaptor) and have verified the upgraded firmware
> > is installed, gone thru the settings, tried with
> > and without wep, but no matter what I do I end
> up
> > 45 mins later having to reset my cable modem
> > (comcast) and my netgear router (wg614) to get
> > back online, once I reset them I can access the
> > web and all is good again for another 30-50 mins
> > or so, seems like after a bit (maybe half hour
> or
> > sometimes even longer) things work GreAT and
> > smooth, then for no real reason I can figure out
> > things just DUMP and I have to reset both my
> modem
> > and router to get back onto the net...
> >
> > Anyone?
> >
> > Gonna call netgear on monday but I doubt they
> will
> > have any real solutions other than to reinstall
> > the drivers or recheck my settings... ughh
> >
> > Bill
> >

> > "Bill" <billaustin@kommmkast.net> wrote in
> message
> > > Yeah the SSID is the same on all 3 pcs, but
> > thanks
> > > for offering the suggestion, sometimes it IS
Are you doing MAC Cloning on the router? If not, it's quite possible you
cable provider is expecting a particular MAC address and seeing the MAC
address on the router which is different. Put the MAC address of you PC
into the MAC Cloning settings of your router and see if that doesn't
help to clear it up. It's the best guess I have.
--

Ben E. Brady
http://www.clariondeveloper.com/wepgen

http://www.clariondeveloper.com/webcloak
FREE! Encrypt email addresses on your web site!
Keep spam bots from sending you spam!

http://www.firewallreporting.com
Personal firewall log analysis tools for
ZoneAlarm, BlackICE, WinRoute Pro and Windows XP
Take stock of your firewall settings and take action against intruders.

http://www.videoprofessorscam.com
Don't get stung by this scam!

In article <3Bflc.18163$0H1.1722545@attbi_s54>, billaustin@kommmkast.net
says...
> Called Netgear today, waste of time, just had me
> recheck settings (all were fine going thru
> wizard), then told me to redo the firmware update
> on the router, power it off, push reset button etc
> etc......it worked (like it always does once I
> reset the router) but again after 20-30-40 mins it
> goes out again on me,,,,,,,
>
> ughhhhh
>

> "Bill" <billaustin@kommmkast.net> wrote in message
> > I cant believe I still havent figured this out,
> > have upgraded the firmware to both the router
> and
> > the usb adaptor (netgear 614 router netgear 121
> > adaptor) and have verified the upgraded firmware
> > is installed, gone thru the settings, tried with
> > and without wep, but no matter what I do I end
> up
> > 45 mins later having to reset my cable modem
> > (comcast) and my netgear router (wg614) to get
> > back online, once I reset them I can access the
> > web and all is good again for another 30-50 mins
> > or so, seems like after a bit (maybe half hour
> or
> > sometimes even longer) things work GreAT and
> > smooth, then for no real reason I can figure out
> > things just DUMP and I have to reset both my
> modem
> > and router to get back onto the net...
> >
> > Anyone?
> >
> > Gonna call netgear on monday but I doubt they
> will
> > have any real solutions other than to reinstall
> > the drivers or recheck my settings... ughh
> >
> > Bill
> >

> > "Bill" <billaustin@kommmkast.net> wrote in
> message
> > > Yeah the SSID is the same on all 3 pcs, but
> > thanks
> > > for offering the suggestion, sometimes it IS
Also, do you have anything stacked up on top of it or is it crammed into
a tight space with no ventilation? One thing you might try... get a
small table fan and direct the fan at the unit to keep it cool. If it
keeps working then I would suspect a component overheating. If that's
the case, I would return it for a new one or a different brand.
--

Ben E. Brady
http://www.clariondeveloper.com/wepgen
FREE! Effectively manage your Wi-Fi network.
Change your WEP keys often!

http://www.clariondeveloper.com/webcloak
FREE! Encrypt email addresses on your web site!
Keep spam bots from sending you spam!

http://www.firewallreporting.com
Personal firewall log analysis tools for
ZoneAlarm, BlackICE, WinRoute Pro and Windows XP
Take stock of your firewall settings and take action against intruders.

http://www.videoprofessorscam.com
Don't get stung by this scam!

bill

Ben.,

I did call netgear again and in the settings of
the router he had me change a box that said

ROUTER MAC ADDRESS
he had me change the setting from
use default
Use computer mac address
then apply etc etc, but still no difference,

btw too the router is on its own away from
anything else and doesn't feel hot or anything,

I DO thank you for input as to what to check or
do, but so far I haven't gotten anywhere with this
yet...

Bill

"Ben E. Brady" <y2kbrady-no-spam@yahoo.com> wrote
in message