Windows 7 Gets Dolby Digital Plus Support

Status
Not open for further replies.

jecht

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2009
I guess it's just another reason for me to upgrade from XP. Not to mention that my original XP disc is so corrupted it can't copy half the files when doing repair installs...

mlopinto2k1

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
Hmpff, sweetness. I have a Dolby Digital Receiver sittin' right here next to me connected to my computer anyway. But, my soundcard already can send out a digital signal (bypassed) right to the receiver.

AdamB5000

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2006
[citation][nom]chaohsiangchen[/nom]I hope that I can afford Dolby 7.1 sound system. When will we have native THX support from Windows?[/citation]

THX isn't something that is supported. It is basically recognition of a certain quality of audio or video equipment. I guess a stand alone piece of software could possibly garner THX certification if it was superior in video or audio processing. We'll have to ask George Lucas. :)

G

Wait a sec, does this means i dont need DDL or am i getting the wrong idea here?

matt87_50

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
i'm confused, I don't have any media sources that have dolby digital plus format... I have lots of DVD format dolby digital sources, and a few dolby true hd sources from my blurays. but NO dolby digital plus sources...
does this encompass support for the DVD format dd?
does it mean windows will be able to output all sound as dd plus? (this seems niche anyway, as I'd rather lossless if i was outputting via hdmi anyway).

if its JUST dd plus support, it is completely useless to me, and anyone except for those with a couple of HD-DVDs that use the format...

(in aus, we are lucky to get dd 5.1 from DTV, does dd plus even work across spdif? or just hdmi? if it only works across hdmi, it is even more useless)

caskachan

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2006
[citation][nom]lonewarder[/nom]PLEASE get that Gate.com ad out of my face!!! (2nd request)[/citation]
go to MVPS.org

download and use HOSTS ad blocker, youll surf webpages faster , as it blocks 98% ad webpags, and still leaves main content, no crazy popups nothing , go on and read the explanation youll love it =3

JasonAkkerman

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2008
[citation][nom]caskachan[/nom]go to MVPS.orgdownload and use HOSTS ad blocker, youll surf webpages faster , as it blocks 98% ad webpags, and still leaves main content, no crazy popups nothing , go on and read the explanation youll love it =3[/citation]

Or, assuming you are using Firefox, just install the NoScript, and AdBlock+ plugins.

NoScript is a pain at first as you add sites to your white list, but it's well worth it from a security perspective.

jerrspud

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2009
I noticed that last week. WMP was the only player that would play AC3 audio with no problems. Didn't have to install any filters, nice that it worked out of the box. With ATI 4850 7.1 audio and Onkyo 705.

erikstarcher

Distinguished
May 17, 2006
[citation][nom]siliq[/nom]Could anyone give us a scenario in which the native OS support for Dolby Digital + is necessary?[/citation]
Since win7 has built in dvd decoding (powerDVD not needed) you will have DVD playback with Dolby decoding without needing to add any additional software. No need for an A/V amp and speakers, just plug in your multi-channel speakers into the computer. Great for a kids room or anywhere else you don't need a full sound system.

IzzyCraft

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2008
[citation][nom]JasonAkkerman[/nom]Or, assuming you are using Firefox, just install the NoScript, and AdBlock+ plugins.NoScript is a pain at first as you add sites to your white list, but it's well worth it from a security perspective.[/citation]
Personally hosts file are better in my book because they also block it for other programs not just your browser.

I just use HostsXpert by funkytoad along with Homer (made by the same guy), if you don't like Homer you can use edexter too.

Mostly i use MVPS.org and hostsfile.mine.nu/ for my hosts file:) I never even see commercials on hulu and there is no delay. (Oh yeah you know spybot s&d it's immunization process makes uses hosts file too)

To me noscript is kind of stupid why not just change the settings on your browser to have trust sites and then every other site to have strict settings because that all that no script is, a nice ui to change settings for a website that is quick to do, I just find it annoying it popping up all the time etc.

aapocketz

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2007
This means that playback of multichannel audio streams found in DVDs, HD DVDs, [bold]Blu-ray Discs[/bold]

It would be better if they had native bluray support! I plan on running Windows 7 on my windows media center server. What bluray playing software have people been using on windows 7 RC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS