Power the issue?

G

Hey all,

Intel WS440BX md (Gateway OEM, actually)
Intel PIII 600 (non-coppermine)
256 MB SDRAM (non-ecc, unbuffered)
ESS Integrated audio, 1373 Chipset
Adaptec 3940U2 SCSI adapter (Gateway OEM)
3com 3C509B-TX Ethernet Adapter
Supermicro SC-750A Case w/300W powersupply
HP CD-Writer 8100 (Primary IDE1)
Toshiba DVD SD-M1212 (Secondary IDE1)
Mitshubishi LS-120 drive (Secondary IDE2)
Iomega Zip 100 (Primary IDE2)
Quantum Atlas III LVD 18 GB SCSI drive
Quantum Viking II LVD 9.1 GB SCSI drive
Quantum Viking II LVD 9.1 GB SCSI drive
Mitshubishi CM813U 21" Monitor (Gateway OEM)

*and*

Visontek GeForce256 (nv10) w/32mb DDR memory

running on MS Windows 98SE.

THE ISSUE:

The system seems to run fine until I do something graphic intensive, such as run Unreal Tournament. Then the system will freeze such that sending ctrl-alt-del from the keyboard will reboot but nothing else causes any system reponse what-so-ever. I am pretty confused and lost as even scaling back the resolution and color depth does not seem to help matters. The graphics adapter works great in a friends Gateway/Fedora system.

Anyone, any thoughts?

Regards,
Gus

G

Is the case sufficently cooled? Once you start something graphic intensive the GeForce will heat up and raise the temperature inside your box. Possible heat problem.

Or there is the possibility of some kind of driver conflict. Try using different instances of the Reference Detonator 3 drivers.

G

Should've included it before but I have tried several of the Detonator drivers (even some pre-release ones) and I have enough wind swirling around my case to cause something of a mini-tornado, so I doubt this is strictly heat-related.

Regards,

Gus

G

I have had power supply related issues with an original GeForce 256, but that was due to a 150W power supply (I hate HP!). I would be surprised to hear that that is your problem considering you have 300W to burn.

G

I didn't think so either...at first, anyway. I believed for awhile that my integrated audio and AGP slot sharing the same interrupt was cause me the heartache, but when I disabled the on-board audio in my BIOS my system still crashed during any graphic intensive task. Anyone have any other thoughts/ideas?

Regards,

Gus