Hey everyone I have been looking at multiple forums daily for the past 2 months on the Lenovo Y580, but still have questions which I hope can be answered on the thread.
To start out I started looking for a gaming PC when my xbox finally gave up on me after 3 years of use. At first I looked towards a 1000usd gaming desktop since I already have a mouse and monitor (my 720p Samsung TV), but my sister persuaded me by saying a good laptop might be a better idea because the Acer 533 I have right now is only really good for note taking and web browsing. So after a few weeks of searching I came across the Y580 and found the specs to my liking. Also I will be upgrading ram to 16GB off the bat.
I plan on using the Y580 for:
3-5 hours per day (I plan to have the graphics on medium or high depending on the game) mostly from a 720p TV via HDMI cable
I have used a Dell B110 for the past 7 years and feel I need a replacement, but want something mobile for school for the days I need something a bit stronger whether it be an assignment or a project
The 720P HD Webcam seems like it would be good for making videos.
Now there are a couple of things I would like to ask of Y580 users because with me I am hyped to get something but a week or two before I start contemplating every little detail to make sure it’s a good buy. Also when I say life of the laptop I mean the laptop as a whole, if its less then 100usd to fix something after a year or more of use then I wont mind too much, but I want to avoid needing to replace something after months of use or that will cost me an arm and leg to repair.
1. I plan on using the Y580 for at least 5 years before feeling a need to get a replacement. I haven’t found much info on how long the Y580 is expected to last, only observations.
2. Should I invest in a cooling pad? I hear that HDD’s don’t last as long when kept at cooler temps, but because I will be gaming for hours at a time which will cause the Y580 to heat up quite a bit I am wondering if a cooling pad might be a good idea and extend the life of the laptop.
3. How is the webcam? I plan on making videos of me talking about subjects, doing reviews of products (lighting isn’t an issue for me) and so on. I am concerned about the lag as seen with webcams where the frame rate resembles a comic book.
4. I currently use a 720p 32in TV that I will connect the Y580 to via HDMI cable. I have been debating between the LCD and FHD screen for weeks now, but still can’t decide. I don’t mind the lower resolution’s text size, how it looks while gaming and how much I can fit on screen, but what worries me the most is the RGB contrast. I know on the laptop monitor it doesn’t look the best but on my LCD TV it will probably look a better? Correct me on that. The only con to the FHD screen I see is price and text size.
5. I found the Y580 on two websites. JR.com and Lenovo. JR.com will get me the Y580 with 2.30ghz, 750gb 7200rpm HDD, and 6GB of RAM for 900usd with a much faster shipping. Compared to from Lenovo that offers 2.40ghz, 1tb 5400rpm HDD (less heat?), and 8GB of RAM for 920usd with a much longer wait time. I am considering ordering from Lenovo due to the faster processor, and more memory, but what where I get stuck is either put in 20-30usd for a much longer wait, better specs, minus the slower HDD with lower temp or cheaper one with a faster HDD with higher temp, lower processor and unknown of how old the model being sent is. Why I don’t get the higher res is because my budget is 1000usd which includes the laptop, shipping, tax and a RAM upgrade.
Thank you to anyone who is willing to read through all of this and help me. I am very critical about my buys especially when they are expensive and want to invest in something that will fit my needs and last me at least 5 years. Also later down the road I will put an SSD to replace the HDD probably a year or two after owning this laptop. I understand a 1000usd desktop would be the better choice, but I need it mobile. 15.6in and 6lbs doesn’t bother me a bit.