Website ad has replaced my desktop

a website advertisement for spyware has replaced my desktop. icons are
visible over the ad, but i cannot right click to access display options.
display options are available through control panel, however the desktop tab
is still showing my wallpaper photo as it should be.
when i boot up, my wallpaper shows up until the system is fully loaded, then
the ad covers it up.
also, a program keeps trying to access the internet
(c:\windows\system32\csrss.exe). this started the same time the ad showed up.

please help!
2 answers Last reply
More about website replaced desktop

    You might want to download an Adware scanning/removal program.

    You can either use Microsoft's Anti-spyware application available at
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=321cd7a2-6a57-4c57-a8bd-dbf62eda9671&displaylang=en

    or Lavasoft's Adaware available at http://lavasoftusa.com

    --
    Gary Tsang
    Microsoft MVP - Windows XP Shell/User

    "steven" <steven@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >a website advertisement for spyware has replaced my desktop. icons are
    > visible over the ad, but i cannot right click to access display options.
    > display options are available through control panel, however the desktop
    > tab
    > is still showing my wallpaper photo as it should be.
    > when i boot up, my wallpaper shows up until the system is fully loaded,
    > then
    > the ad covers it up.
    > also, a program keeps trying to access the internet
    > (c:\windows\system32\csrss.exe). this started the same time the ad showed
    > up.
    >
    > please help!

    with regard to csrss.exe
    http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=en&q=csrss.exe&meta=

    With regard to your other problem
    Information about malware:
    http://arstechnica.com/articles/paedia/malware.ars

    The below links assist you in checking your system for parasites:-
    http://aumha.org/a/noads.htm
    http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/parasite.htm
    Please note that some malware may kill the internet connection when it is removed,
    the program on the link below will enable you to regain the internet connection.
    http://www.cexx.org/lspfix.htm

    Unexplained computer behavior may be caused by third-party software
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;827315

    http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/default.mspx
    Fight Spyware – articles by Microsoft

    Spyware Programs links:-
    www.lavasoftusa.com Ad-Aware
    www.security.kolla.de Spybot

    SpywareBlaster

    Dealing with Unwanted Spyware, Parasites, Toolbars and Search Engines
    http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm

    Home Page Setting Changes Unexpectedly, or You Cannot Change Your Home Page Setting
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=320159

    Downloadable McAfee AVERT Stinger:
    Stinger: http://vil.nai.com/vil/stinger/
    stand-alone utility used to detect and remove specific viruses. It is not a
    substitute for full anti-virus protection, but rather a tool to assist
    administrators and users when dealing with an infected system. Stinger utilizes
    next generation scan engine technology, including process scanning, digitally
    signed DAT files, and scan performance optimizations.

    Perhaps an online security/virus check
    Symantec
    http://security.norton.com/sscv6/default.asp?langid=ie&venid=sym
    Trend Micro House Call:
    http://housecall.trendmicro.com/
    Panda ActiveScan;
    McAfee FreeScan:
    Kaspersky Labs On-line Virus Checker:
    BitDefender Online Scan:

    Free anti virus programs
    http://www.grisoft.com/us/us_dwnl7.php

    steven wrote:
    > a website advertisement for spyware has replaced my desktop. icons
    > are visible over the ad, but i cannot right click to access display
    > options. display options are available through control panel, however
    > the desktop tab is still showing my wallpaper photo as it should be.
    > when i boot up, my wallpaper shows up until the system is fully
    > loaded, then the ad covers it up.
    > also, a program keeps trying to access the internet
    > (c:\windows\system32\csrss.exe). this started the same time the ad
    > showed up.
    >
    > please help!

Desktops Windows XP