reformatting question

I have a friend who runs windows 98, and she has a virus, Will completly
reformatting clear this out too? It was a second hand tower, and she wants
it cleared, If this does work, what would be necessary for me to install win
XP on her system? She has no installation software for it at all. Any
suggestions would be great.
Thanks
Leanna

You may want to look over these...

Make Sure Your Hardware and Software Are Compatible
Use the compatibility search tool or download the Upgrade Advisor to make
sure your system, devices, and software will work with Windows XP, and
install updates if available.

Windows XP Upgrade Advisor
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/upgrading/advisor.mspx

Set Up Your Computer
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/getstarted/default.mspx

Check Your System Requirements here...
Windows XP Professional Upgrade Center
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/upgrading/default.mspx

Check Your System Requirements here...
Windows XP Home Edition Upgrade Center
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/upgrading/default.mspx

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:D53C862A-F9FD-4F78-9762-494408D162E8@microsoft.com,
smilincookie <smilincookie@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:6F7C613B-5A2D-46D6-B517-F99413951B83@microsoft.com,
smilincookie <smilincookie@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
> I have a friend who runs windows 98, and she has a virus, Will completly
> reformatting clear this out too? It was a second hand tower, and she
> wants it cleared, If this does work, what would be necessary for me to
> install win XP on her system? She has no installation software for it
> at all. Any suggestions would be great.
> Thanks
> Leanna

Hi Leanna,

>I have a friend who runs windows 98, and she has a virus, Will completly
> reformatting clear this out too?

Yes it will. Hardly necessary in most cases, but a format will normally
remove a virus.

> It was a second hand tower, and she wants it cleared, If this does work,
> what would be necessary for me to install win
> XP on her system?

You will need a WinXP CD and Product Key. You may also need drivers for some
of the system hardware if it is not all supported natively. I would suggest
detaching unnecessary peripherals during setup. They can be installed
after-the-fact using updated drivers from the device manufacturer.

> She has no installation software for it at all. Any suggestions would be
> great.

She needs her own WinXP CD. You will want to verify that the system can
support WinXP as well, some older machines can, some can't. If you have
access to a regular disk, you can run the advisor from it on her system
before purchasing a copy. Or you can download it here:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/howtobuy/upgrading/advisor.asp

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"smilincookie" <smilincookie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

"smilincookie" <smilincookie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a friend who runs windows 98, and she has a virus, Will completly
> reformatting clear this out too? It was a second hand tower, and she
> wants
> it cleared, If this does work, what would be necessary for me to install
> win
> XP on her system? She has no installation software for it at all. Any
> suggestions would be great.
> Thanks
> Leanna

She has no antivirus software? The first sensible action would be to get rid
of it rather than buy a new operating system.
If not then there are free programs. AVG has a free version.
http://www.grisoft.com/doc/40/lng/us/tpl/tpl01

Then spyware:
http://www.lavasoft.de/
http://www.spybot.info/en/index.html
Microsoft also have a free spyware checker (in beta) available on their
website.
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=321cd7a2-6a57-4c57-a8bd-dbf62eda9671&displayLang=enAnd do you have a firewall? Zonealarm is good.