Hi,

I am thinking of setting up a wireless network in my home. I have a few
questions that I was wondering if any one can help. My config is a PC
upstairs in the study, a pc downstairs, and an xbox & ps2 down stairs.

Can any one tell me the best config?
Is it better to have the main pc go through the router as well?
Will I need to leave the main pc on?

TIA

--
Remove Nospam to reply

Q: 1. Is it better to have the main pc go through the router as well?
2.Will I need to leave the main pc on?"

1. Yes, connect your main pc through the router with a cable.
2. No, you dont have to have your main pc on as long as it is a wireless
router

regards
Rolf

Hege Renate Ryde wrote:

> Q: 1. Is it better to have the main pc go through the router as well?
> 2.Will I need to leave the main pc on?"
>
> 1. Yes, connect your main pc through the router with a cable.
> 2. No, you dont have to have your main pc on as long as it is a wireless
> router

It is better to have all PCs access the web via a router for several
reasons, including that any PC can get to the web without any other PC
being on. See: http://home.comcast.net/~bobwbsgs/homenet.txt

And that is true, whether the main PC connects to the router via
a wireless or a wired connection.
--
Cheers, Bob

Andy

Bob,

I looked at your link. Aren't you forgetting another alterntive?
Some DSL modems that connect to ISP's provide NAT (network address
translation) so that all PCs in the home network can share the single
IP address provided by the ISP. Won't that work?